Minutes of December 9, 2002 Meeting
- Ka-Neng Au, Sara Harrington, Theo Haynes, Sam McDonald, Leslie
Murtha, Stephanie Bartz, Jeanne Boyle, Rebecca Gardner, Karen Wenk,
Vibiana Bowman by teleconference.
- Dave Hoover
1. Content Group Report (WAC-C)
- Theo Haynes went over where we stand with Index Description review and
revisions. All of the guides needing revision have been assigned to WAC
- Subcommittee will review status of the old research guides.
- Sara will be working on a new research guide with the French
- Jeanne is working on updated collections descriptions for each of the
libraries. She is following up with head of collections at each library
to get these updated.
- Off-campus support pages: Jeanne suggested that we remove the page
“Recommended Hardware and Software for Remote Users.” Sam will remove
that page soon. It was then suggested that we re-work the Off-campus
support pages with the material that Au has developed for e-college.
- Alert Services pages, links, and site map listings are up.
2. Design Group (WAC-D)
- Libraries and centers moved up to the front page. The front page box
Libraries and Centers
- RU-Online: The Rutgers Digital Library
- Rutgers Libraries and Centers on all campuses
- Related Libraries / Collections
in the 'about box'
- the first bullet 'Libraries and centers' will be removed
- Titles of staff directories:
Libraries' Faculty and Staff Directory -> Alphabetical Directory of Libraries' Faculty and Staff
Libraries and Departmental Directory -> Directory of Libraries, Centers, and Departments
- catalog page review for redundant 'web version/telnet version' links
was done. The Eureka telnet links have been removed, but the 'web
version' links have not yet been changed.
- The index telnet page has had all the Eureka titles removed. The
notice of the changes was moved to the bottom of the page until about
- Public service policies moving to the about page pending.
- PDF form for a release form (see Staff->Public Services->Forms). It
allows a very nice printout with letterhead and name etc. filled in.
This service/function is now available for use elsewhere.
- 'User Services': environmental scan of what other ARL libraries
done. Most other libraries use similar terminology. The decision was
made to leave the title “User Services”.
- Alert Services was rolled out.
- The new index rollout procedures meeting was held, draft is done and
under review. The process was clarified and streamlined – notes were
made of exceptions.
- Discussion on how to make sure we post information about any changes
in database vendor links in a timely fashion. Can we make early
announcements about changes as soon as we know? Does the “Making
Additions to Our Web Pages” specify this?
3. Public Services Council updates:
- Jeanne Boyle reported that questions came up in PSC about the libraries’
web pages. Jeanne proposed that the chair of WAC should attend the next
PSC meeting. Au will write to RUL_everyone and report on what WAC is
doing. He will highlight the horizon scanning that we do when looking
at making changes and adjustments to usability.
- At the next meeting we will assess assessment methodologies. Jeanne and
Rebecca will review background material and distribute to WAC members
for discussion at the next meeting.
4. Instruction Report
The subgroup to write “ How do I Write a Research Paper?” has not met
5. CNI Report:
Jeanne Boyle reported on the Coalition for Networked Information Fall
2002 Task Force meeting that was held in San Antonio TX last week. She
gave a very interesting and comprehensive report. The consistent thread
that ran through most of the sessions was the concept of Institutional
The project briefings are available on the CNI web site
http://www.cni.org Jeanne will let us know when the complete presentation
material is available