Minutes of December 8, 2003 Meeting
- Ka-Neng Au, Stephanie Bartz (recorder), Vibiana Bowman (via
teleconference), Rebecca Gardner, Karen Hartman, Theo Haynes (via
teleconference), Dave Hoover, Sam McDonald, Leslie Murtha, Robert
Nahory, Karen Wenk
1. Content Group Report (T. Haynes)
- All index description revisions that have been completed and sent to
Theo have been passed on to Sam for posting. Additional revisions are
still pending. Theo will send reminders.
- Cabinet is reviewing the draft letter intended to remind Research
Guide owners about updating their guides.
2. Design Group Report (S. McDonald)
- The group will begin looking at site vocabulary, the Rutgers site
design, etc. in January in preparation for a possible site redesign to
be in place by the fall semester.
- The site map is on hold pending comments from Jeanne Boyle.
3. Webmaster Report (S. McDonald)
- Site information and links to the Criminal Justice collection will be
changed to reflect the new name.
- Survey software has been installed and the announcement of its first
use should come this week. Information on the use of the software is
available from the staff web pages -- Public Services: Procedures:
Process for Developing Online Surveys using phpESP - php Easy Survey
- A scheduling application intended to replace the NBL room schedule,
add additional rooms, replace the staff calendar, and allow for
scheduling of the teleconferencing equipment on all campuses should be
completed in February.
- Sam met with members of the Instructional Services Committee to begin
looking at TILT. The software is open source and the plan is to add
custom content to it for use in teaching common tasks like searching
IRIS. The project should be completed in time for the fall semester.
- The CMS is still not ready for implementation. A major patch that
will hopefully fix some of the problems is due soon.
4. Liaison Reports and Announcements
- Systems – EZProxy is being investigated.
- IPAC – IRIS redesign testing is on hold pending completion of the
programming needed for the new interface.
- PSC – RUCS has implemented myRutgers and consulted the libraries
about establishing a library tab/channel. Dave Hoover also met with
representatives concerning 2 issues. It was hoped that the use of
myRutgers could eliminate the need for browser reconfiguration for
remote access to library resources, but this turns out not to be the
easy fix it was hoped it would be. There is also some interest in
getting library self services data to appear in individual patron
myRutgers profiles without users needing to follow an external link to
IRIS. Dave is prototyping.
- Bibliographers are submitting electronic access request forms for the
free databases from the State Library.
- The MSIE remote access instructions still need revision. As a first
step Dave will review the instructions to look for obvious
additions/corrections/changes. Au will contact Natalie about expanding
the "common problems" FAQ.