Minutes of January 10, 2005 Meeting
- K. Au, S. Bartz (recorder), R. Gardner, K. Hartman, D. Hoover,
S. McDonald, L. Mullen, R. Nahory, K. Wenk
1. Webmaster Report (S. McDonald)
The descriptions for the CSA databases that are subfiles of
Environmental Sciences & Pollution Management Index and Aquatic Sciences
and Fisheries Abstracts have been added to the Indexes and Databases pages.
2. Liaison Reports
IPAC (S. Bartz): iLink implementation is projected to occur in May
after the end the spring semester.
ISC (R. Gardner): SearchPath will be announced to RUL for review the
week of January 18. It will be made available to RU about a month later.
Systems (D.Hoover): EZProxy will be available for public use for the
beginning of the spring semester on January 18.
- K. Wenk will send a list of IPs for those PCs being used for staff
demos to D. Hoover.
- D. Hoover and S. McDonald will meet to discuss implementation details
such as placement of IP checking scripts.
- WAC-D meets tomorrow to complete the design of relevant webpages
3. WAC Goals for 2004-05
The draft document distributed prior to the meeting was reviewed and
finalized as follows:
- continue to review and update Webpages on a regular schedule
- develop specifications and procedures for Website content (e.g.,
database descriptions, Research Guides, Finding Aids)
- collaborate and communicate with RUL councils and committees to
introduce and maintain Website content (e.g., Alumni Library)
- investigate best practices at peer institutions for Website
management and Webpage development
- assist with the implementation of authenticating remote users by NetID
- review the revised Instructional Services pages
- complete the Website Usability Study
4. Strategic Plan Report for PSC
There was a general discussion of what should be included in a statement
on strategic goals for WAC for the next 5 years. K. Au will draft a
statement based on the discussion and distribute it to WAC for review
before sending it to J. Boyle. Some of the issues raised were:
- promoting more widespread participation in the development of the RUL
- insuring the quality and sustained growth of the RUL webpages with
organizational support from throughout RUL
- encouraging communication between webpage users/non-WAC members and
- trying new things and taking risks
- working more closely with Public Relations to the promote the website
more extensively and encouraging departmental liaisons to promote
cross-linking from department webpages
The rotation of recorders for future meetings as posted in the December
meeting minutes will be adjusted due to V. Bowman's spring 2005 leave.
The schedule for the remainder of the spring is as follows:
- 14 Feb (Gardner)
- 14 Mar (Hartman)
- 11 Apr (Haynes)
- 09 May (Hoover)
- 13 Jun (McDonald)