Minutes of October 10, 2006 Meeting
- Ka-Neng Au, Sam McDonald, Rebecca Gardner, Stephanie Bartz, Dave Hoover, Laura Mullen, Theo Haynes, Karen Hartman, Bob Nahory
1. Planning for RefWorks
RefWorks is up and running, with training for faculty available in NB, maybe at Camden but
nothing at Newark. Training sessions for librarians will be held in November by a trainer from
- Popups must be enabled
- What about public computers in the library?
- We need a list of databases that support Direct Export
- Which group should keep track of information and training?
For RefWorks the library needs to be prepared for questions - no training is provided for the
Dave reported that RefWorks has a list of "vendors" for which Direct Export is turned on.
A major issue for the libraries: database tutorials are needed. No person or group is defined to
take responsibility for this; WAC is not defined to be responsible for such things. As databases
change, who should be responsible for noting this and making the necessary changes?
- Add FAQ note on enabling popups for RefWorks
- Refer to PSC the need for a list of databases that support Direct Export to RefWorks
- There could be a link to RefWorks in Alerts section of Indexes & Databases, on Ask a Librarian, on How Do I, Learning Tools for Students, Info for Faculty and Staff, More Library Catalogs.
2. Periodic Site Review
Those responsible for units need to update and check their pages as needed.
- Alex and Art - Stephanie
- LSM, Chem, Physics, Math - Laura will nudge someone
- Chang - Rebecca
- Alcohol - Penny Page
- Annex - Stephanie will nudge someone
- Douglas/Music - Au will contact Andrew
- Media - Jane Sloan
- Foster Center - Ferris
- SCC - Stephanie will nudge someone
- SCUA - Au will nudge Dave Kuzma
3. Indexes and Databases (Sam)
Descriptions to be revised:
- ACM Digital Library - Laura will nudge Mei-Ling
- Agricola - Rebecca will nudge Marty
- CCH - Au
- CIAO - Au
- Comm and Mass Comm - Stephanie
- Computing Reviews - Laura
- Conference Board - Au
- CQ Researcher - Theo
- Declassified Docs Ref System - Stephanie
- CSA's Sustainability Science Abstracts, Bio One Abstracts and Indexes, wait till next meeting
- Historical Statistics of the US
- Music - 2 databases
- CAB Abstracts, now CAB Direct - Rebecca will nudge Marty
Note: Sam needs to hear in advance which databases are cancelled in order to update web pages.
Note: Stephanie pointed out that a sentence in Cancellation Template about specialized databases needs to be removed. Au sent an email to Natalie about this during the meeting.
4. Web Master Report
- Front-page images have been adjusted to replace the one from Camden
- New research guide - Latino Studies
- Redlight Green expires on Nov 1 - Sam will remove it
- Free Worldcat needs separate listing. Au will send email to PSC about this.
- Staff pages have been updated
5. Final Comments
Rebecca commented on a need to update the Index and Databases description guidelines. Au suggested putting the details for each item in a MS-Word template as page 1, followed by page 2 blank form. Theo and Au will carry out update.
For updates, Sam would like an item with name/date on who did the update and when.
Future WAC discussion is needed about Alerts
Next meeting: Nov. 13, 2006