Minutes of October 15, 2007 Meeting
- Au, Stephanie Bartz, Rebecca Gardner, Karen Hartman, Theo Haynes, Dave Hoover,
Sam McDonald(recorder), Laura Mullen
- Bob Nahory, Andrew Ruggiero
- Valeda Dent
1) Virtual Reference (Au)
Demonstrated: Ask A Librarian chat Meebo "widget" in top of silver navigation bar
Background: Chat using Meebo and placement on website given go ahead by PSC and Cabinet.
Expected to go live no later than for start of Spring Semester.
- Discussed size, location etc.
- Noted that it would only be active Thurs-Sun 7pm to 10 pm and should only be seen then
- Decided that a given the complexity of the front page etc. the widget would be placed on
the Ask a Librarian page (which will be redesigned to accommodate the widget).
The top navigation bar will have "Live!" placed after "Ask A Librarian" for appropriate times
- It was noted a small FAQ to support and explain this service will be necessary.
- WAC looked at about 4 other library sites to see how they placed their chat reference service.
- Sam and Au will create some demo pages for discussion and review.
- WAC can review this via email and at November meeting and discuss next steps.
2) Authentication of Remote Users (Au)
If users in Google Scholar stumble upon Rutgers holdings links, and click on them,
without being proxied via coming through the Libraries web site, they will be challenged
by the vendor with a payment request. (This to any resource that is available to RU people,
but found when not authenticated through the libraries web site).
There is generally no way for the Libraries to mediate this and get the user to content if they do not come through the Libraries website, however they may be ways to change settings with Serial Solutions to re-direct all links coming via Rutgers holding links in Google Scholar, or perhaps hide
Rutgers holdings info from Google scholar. The larger issues are many and need to be discussed at PSC.
Dave has inquiries to Serial Solutions so he can understand and explain the ramifications of what can be done.
- Laura and Karen will review and revise the text on our Google Scholar page.
- Dave is looking at ways to challenge all clicks on "connect buttons" with authentication (if not already authenticated by logging in, being on campus etc.).
3) Indexes and Databases (McDonald)
Newly posted databases (since September WAC):
- Film & Television Literature Index (FTLI)
- Global Legal Information Network (GLIN)
- PILOTS: Published International Literature On Traumatic Stress
- Resources for College Libraries (RCL)
Assigned databases description revisions still outstanding:
- All Wilson databases - Haynes
- BioOne Abstracts and Indexes - Mullen to ask _____
- Criminal Justice Abstracts - Au to ask Borsovits
- EIS: Digests of Environmental Impact Statements - Mullen to ask _____
- Grzimek's Animal Life Encyclopedia - Mullen to ask Hoffman
- Hein-On-Line (Online Law Journals) - Bartz
- IEEE Xplore - Mullen to ask _____
- Image Collections in Luna Insight - Hoover to ask ________
- Index to Printed Music: Collections & Series - Gardner to ask Shepherd
- JSTOR - Au
- Left Index - Hartman to ask Izbiki or Glynn
- MEDLINE (EBSCO / Knowledge Initiative) - Gardner to ask Mardikian
- MEDLINE In-Process & Other Non-Indexed Citations - Gardner to ask Mardikian
- Middle English Compendium - Bartz to ask Izbiki or Mulcahy
- National Technical Information Service (NTIS) - Mullen
- New Catholic Encyclopedia - Bartz to ask Izbiki
- New Jersey Environmental Digital Library (NJEDL) - Gardner
- New York Times (ProQuest Historical Newspapers) - Au
- North American Women's Letters and Diaries: Colonial Times to 1950 - Hartman to ask K. Denda
- Nursing & Allied Health Collection: Comprehensive - Au to ask Watkins
- Official Document System of the United Nations - Bartz
- Turfgrass - Kessleman
- Women and Social Movements in the US: 1600-2000 - Hartman to ask K. Denda
- Women Writers Online - Hartman to ask K. Denda
- Women's Studies International - Hartman to ask K. Denda
- Agricultural and Environmental Biotechnology Abstracts is being reviewed. Seems that vendor is confused as to how this subscription is handled.
To be marked as temporarily unavailable until sorted out.
- RefUSA (and other NJKI) - To expire in February if steps are not taken to keep them.
- HeinOnline - approaching resolution for proper linking/access.
- RLG - pending payment then URL's to Webmaster and cataloging, then revision of descriptions. Some takedown templates will probably have to be written.
4) Webmaster Report (McDonald)
Sam and Choong learning DRUPAL.
5) Systems Report (Hoover)
- Old Ariel service to be decommissioned (replaced by Illiad). May free some space on webserver.
- SSH and FTP enabled. Old telnet and ftp to be eventually disabled.
- Added links and connections to catalog for Research in College Libraries.
- Quicksearch to implemented after some code adjustments by Choong.
- Dave noted that there is some confusion for some users you can successfully log-in to a publcc pc using their NetID,
but cannot use their NetID to get remote access. They both use NetID, but have different classes of permissions.
6) Instruction Report (Haynes)
- Working of deigning class guides page.
- Migrating instructional materials from SCC instructional materials service to Sakai.
7) IPAC Report (Bartz)
- No report (IPAC did not meet in September).
8) Other Announcements (all)
9) Old Business
- World languages pending translations being completed.
- RUcore linking. Pending launch of repository. Coding prepared in demo.
See WAC January 2007 minutes for discussion of placement of links.
Next WAC meeting: November 19, 2007
Next recorder: Laura Mullen