Minutes of November 19, 2007 Meeting
- Ka-Neng Au (chair), Stephanie Bartz, Valeda Dent, Rebecca Gardner, Karen Hartman, Theo Haynes, Dave Hoover, Sam McDonald, Bob Nahory (recorder)
1) Virtual Reference (Au)
Consider a chat reference widget for the libraries web site and provide recommendations for placement of
this virtual reference service on the web site.
Consider whether instant message box should be on front page: placement on far right, center or left.
- Put widget on front page with instant message box below black bar above photo.
- Don't let rollover text cover the message box.
- Show instant message window only when librarian is online.
- Use server clock for settings.
The committee agreed that, in black bar, include Ask a Librarian LIVE, where LIVE should appear when
he/she is available.
- The Instant Message box should not be on every page when live.
- When a librarian is not available, instant messages could be intercepted and generate a message to the user saying: 'Sorry, please send email.'
WAC will review the options online during December.
Assessment of library web site (Dent)
- It is of interest to assess the level of usefulness of the library web site for users.
- One interest is in adding more dynamic capability, such as, for example, if one types "psychology" then one would get a list of relevant databases.
- No information now on the methodology to be used for assessment or on budget available.
- Au will craft a note on this topic.
Indexes and Databases
It is sometimes difficult to get updates from librarians. Discussion was conducted on approaches to
resolve these issues. Sam had already set out a list of library update people on 10/31 and some responses
were received afterwards. Sam proposed assignments during the meeting for updates.
Webmaster report (McDonald)
Work is in progress on Drupal (content management system) updates for possible use in future.
System Report (Hoover)
- Remote users will be prompted at appropriate places to login for access to restricted resources. This would help resolve the issue of access to public and restricted information from remote access sites.
- Dave will send WAC a link to look at this (from remote locations) by end of November.
- Roll-out of this feature is expected in early December (collaboration between Dave and Sam)
- Au shared a proposal to add an "Open Worldcat" search box on web pages.
- It was concluded to take this to a future PSC meeting.