Minutes for August 17, 2009 Meeting
- Hartstein, Hoover, Jantz, Liew, McDonald
- Mills, Nakagama
- Update on Bookroom statistics (James)
- Report: Drupal Updates / Status (Sam, Choong)
- Discussion: Drupal Roadmap (Sam)
- Discussion: Tracking of milestones (Ron)
- Discussion: Release 2.0: Drupal 6
- Report: Who's Who (Choong)
- Update on Sirsi/LDAP modifications
Update on Bookroom statistics (James)
- Added a report that showed how many cancelled events occurred in the time period selected.
- James will coordinate with Sam to add a link to the stats from the BookRoom Staff page.
- The Bookroom Statistics page will be passworded by an SCC-network password.
- The initial rollout will only cover rooms in Alexander.
- This app will allow all of the raw data to be exported as CSV (for processing in Excel).
- Will be ready by September.
- Needs to be moved from gridCETH to Reaper64 in order to go live.
- A new poster request/submission application is another new project in development.
Report: Drupal Updates / Status (Sam, Choong)
- Discussion of downtime from new release. Mostly from re-caching and a little bit from moving files and databases.
- Re-cache on production system takes about 15 minutes.
- Downtime is done after 10pm
- Sam will send an announcement will sent to RUL_everyone, but we decided that a special news article wasn't warranted.
- See the timeline below.
Discussion: Drupal Roadmap (Sam)
- Drupal 2 will be an upgrade to Drupal 6 on the new server
- Drupal 3.1 will probably be "Who's Who" (over "Guides/Brief Guides")
- Drupal 3.2 will probably be "Guides/Brief Guides"
- Drupal 4 may be an upgrade to Drupal 7
- Sam will write up a 1 page Drupal roadmap similar to the Software arch one
- Need to figure out a good way to communicate the schedule so that new projects can
planned in. (so that we can figure out if a new mini-release needs to happen or that some things wait for a major release).
Discussion: Tracking of milestones (Ron)
- This discussion got mixed up with the Drupal Roadmap and Drupal 2&3 discussions.
- We ended up talking about overall project timelines specifically related to Choong's
Fall semester commitments. The schedule looks a little bit like this:
Drupal Release 1.1
LDAP/SIRSI and NJA in remaining August..and a bit into September?
September is for OJS to reaper 64
October: Drupal Release 3
November-January: Drupal Release 3.1
January-: Drupal Release 3.2
- Sam will have detailed specs and requirements for R3,3.1,3.2 in mid-September
Discussion: Release 2.0: Drupal 6
- Draft outline discussed (below)
- Discussed the drupal-dev server and getting it off of private address space
- Need to look at performance and caching performance...and approaches/modules to improve it.
Report: Who's Who (Choong)
- Data collection is done (~92-94% response).
- Titles will be reviewed by RUL HR.
- Detailed requirements and specifications need to be formally written out.
- Detailed written policies are still lacking.
Update on Sirsi/LDAP modifications
- An overview the task: history, purpose, timeline, people involved.
- Needs LDAP, PERL, SSL.
- Dave will set up the server environment.
- Sam will help Bob and Choong with HTML interface if they need banners, code, CSS etc.
Monday, August 7 (cancelled--Labor Day)
Monday, August 21, 1:30pm, SCC: Heyer
Drupal Release 1.1 Timeline
TH 13 Choong: Sent new delivery of /cmstest/ to Dave
M 17 Web services, go decision, decide launch date
Dave has /cmstest/ mounted
Sam: Evening, tests /cmstest/
T 18 Fixes or launch?
(T18-Th20) Sam/Dave coordinate Log-in text changes
W 19 Sam: Work with Choong to do fixes
if requires more testing.
Choong sends Dave /cmstest/; Dave mounts TH,
Sam test Fri/Sat/Sun
...hopefully all good
...launch Tues the 25th
if minor fix and /cms/ can be delivered
...launch Tues the 25th
W 19 Choong: Sends fresh /cms/ to Dave
(unless /cms/ from Aug 13 is good)
TH 20 Announcement
T 25 Launch. Dave backs up current /cms/ production and
puts in new /cms/ release.
T 25 Sam: test and watch
(SJM - August 17, 2009)
- change of "Not logged in" text changed to "Login here"
coordinated for proxy and
(and front page panel)
Drupal Release 2.0 Timeline aka Drupal 6 upgrade
(after successful launch of R1.1)
- sets current /cms/ and /cmstest/ to be /cms5/ and /cmstest5/
- migrates /cms5/ to /cms/ under Drupal 6
carefully documenting all steps necessary for migration
- we will have for release 2
on drupal dev
/cms/ only for delivery or demonstration
/cmstest/ where Sam works/adds new data
/cmsdev/ reserved for developer workspace
/cmsdev#/ other reserved developer space...
/cms5/ previous last release
/cmstest5/ last test release
on new webserver
/cmstest/ testing space only
- makes any bug fixes or small updates e.g. sidebar link text etc.
- integrate the /cms/ database dump into the Drupal 6 /cms/
- deliver a /cmstest/ to Dave
- support testing/fixing cycle
- sets up new webserver
- migrates webserver & Drupal and other necessary components
to new webserver
- deliver a database dump of /cms/ to Choong
- mounts drupal 6 /cmstest/ for testing
(using Choong's migration documentation)
- support testing/fixing cycle
- ? helps Choong set up separate databases for Drupal
- sets up a method for allowing proper off-campus testing
- works with Choong to fix and any minor bugs and changes
- tests Drupal 6 under new webserver /cmstest/
..then testing/fixing cycle until launch
SJM (August 17, 2009)