Minutes for NBCG meeting

Date: April. 14, 2000

Meeting was convened at LSM at 9:30 am

Attendees: Ilona Caparros (recorder), Howard Dess, Mary Fetzer, Ellen Gilbert, Rebecca Gardner, Bryan Hancock, Helen Hoffman, Kevin Mulcahy, Pat Piermatti, Addie Tallau, Farideh Tehrani, Lourdes Vazquez,
Connie Wu (recorder), Myoung Wilson, Ryan Womack

1. Meeting agenda was approved.

2. Prior meeting minutes were approved.

3. Overview of current spending and budget plans for 2001: HMD/KM

a) Current situation:

The state funds budget for 1999/00 is essentially spent out. Spending on the various non-state funds appears to be proceeding at a healthy rate although it is difficult to determine exactly what our current balances are because of the processing backlogs in the Acquisitions Dept. That situation should ease greatly in coming weeks as the backlogs are worked off.

b) Budget plans for 2001:

The Budget Allocation Committee has been meeting on a regular basis to develop a New Brunswick collections budget plan for 2001. In recognition of the fact that the overall Library budget granted by the University has typically not been announced until late in the year, following a recommendation by CDC we will initially assume that our budget will be the same as in 1999/00, with fund code allocations set at 100% of last years, subject to certain adjustments as noted below. It should be noted that despite this initial assumption of a flat budget for the sake of fiscal conservatism, we understand that some increase is likely, but the amount is as yet unknown.

To determine specific fund code allocations for the coming year, the BAC will use 1999 as a baseline year, after adjusting for introduction of the NB approval plan in the subject areas of the social sciences and arts and humanities. The intent is to maintain each fund code's percentage of the overall budget at a comparable level year-to-year. At the same time, attempts will be made, wherever possible, to provide adjustments that reflect significant changes in academic programs.

4. Additional discussion pertaining to budget plans.

a) Keeping track of academic program developments

Concern was expressed that we have no systematic way of tracking or keeping informed about changes in academic programs that might require adjustments in collection budget allocations. Howard Dess volunteered to maintain an NBCG archive of such information. Examples might cover situations such as increase or decrease of faculty members in specific departments, establishment of special new research programs, dropping of specific programs, etc. Howard will then provide updates to BAC about these changes.

b) Preparing for further journal cancellations

If the final collections budget fails to match the inflationary increase anticipated for print and electronic products, it will be necessary to carry out additional journal cancellations. Per information provided by Bob Sewell, the expected average inflation rate for our published products is 8.8%, so selectors should begin now to consider what further titles might be sacrificed in the coming year to stay within budgetary limits for each subject category. Whenever possible, emphasis should be placed on elimination of duplicate titles either in print or print and electronic, in order to protect unique holdings.

5. Report from the "Last Copy" Committee, Farideh Tehrani

This committee was asked to come up with a plan for dealing with the unique titles that Camden will no longer have room to store on its shelves due to the current renovation project. To our great relief, we leared that the number of volumes anticipated for transfer has come down to a very manageable estimate of 2000.
These volumes will be shipped to LSM or Alex, depending on call number, and IRIS records and volume labels will be changed accordingly prior to shipment from Camden. The transferred volumes will initially be placed on temporary shelving locations in LSM and Alex to give selectors the opportunity to examine them and to make further recommendations, if so desired, about alternative library locations. While these volumes are in procees of being transferred, and before they are available for circulation in their final NB location, their IRIS records will indicate that they are "in transit". Our thanks to Farideh and the Last Copy Committee for their assistance and timely resolution of this matter.

6. Selectors' quandry over unfilled order status

Selectors are concerned that they lose track of book orders sent over to TAS and for long periods of time have no way of knowing if a book has actually been purchased or if difficulties have been encountered that
may ultimately result in the order being cancelled. Publisher book runs for scholarly works are quite limited and go out of print rapidly and our budget delays have prevented us from entering orders for desired works as quickly as possible. This means inevitably that some percentage of the orders we place will not be filled because of these lag times in order placement. The discussion focused on the need for some kind of reporting from the Acquisitions Dept. that would enable selectors to determine more quickly if unfilled older orders should be cancelled in order to use the relevant funds for alternative purchase(s) or to recommend some other actions to acquire the original item. Recommendation from NBCG is that selectors need quarterly reports with lists of all orders for titles that could not be filled over a period of three months. HMD was asked to bring this matter to TSC for discussion.

Another question related to order processing dealt specifically with foreign language orders. Lourdes noted the delays in order processing that can be encountered when TAS personnel without the necessary language skills handle such orders. Specific recommendations about these questions will also be referred to TSC by HMD.

7. Douglass collections

Discussion cemtered on issues still unresolved re Douglass colllection. It is recognized that the Douglass collection has been essentially in a static situation for some time now. The key questions are:

· What subject categories should now be recognized for collection purposes there.

· What selectors should have the responsibility for these subject areas.

Under the D21 plan, the principle areas of subject focus will be women's studies, music, and the performing arts. Selection for these areas will be under the direction of Jane Sloan and Roger Tarman. There is substantial gift funding earmarked for Douglass use that could be applied to collection development in these areas. Questions were also raised about collecting for undergraduate educational purposes, but the ensuing discussion made it clear that there is no good way to define or determine what comprises an undergraduate collection. Other suggestions proposed: 1) forming a graduate core reserve collection in classics and foreign language, 2) expanding digital resources while keeping print to a minimum, 3) exploring the possibility of diverting some of the Douglass gift funds (especilly phonothon) to other collection uses.

Requirements for "general collection" category that might be considered for a reserve collection: look at recall data to determine the most heavily used titles and provide duplicates. HMD will contact Ann Montanaro re feasibility of producing a recall title list.

One final Douglass matter was discussed: the journal collection is not representative of the current library mission. As was emphasized in a prior meeting by Ferris Olin, the Douglass journal collection urgently needs to be reviewed with an eye to removing many of the unneeded titles (to Annex? or withdraw duplicate materials, or combine with fragmentary sets from other libraries, etc). HMD will take this matter for consideration to CDC.

8. Technology Information Team Liaison Report: no report.

9. Other old business and miscellaneous items: none to report