SUBJECT: MINUTES OF THE NEW BRUNSWICK COLLECTION DEVELOPMENT GROUP

DATE: February 7, 2001

Attendees: Howard Dess(chair), Connie Wu, Helen Hoffman, Kayo Denda, Ryan Womack, Tom Glynn, Myoung Wilson, Pat Piermatti, Mary Fetzer, Addie Tallau, Gracemary Smulewitz , Kevin Mulcahy, Rebecca Gardner, Ellen Gilbert, Brian Hancock (recorder).

The meeting began at 9:40am

1. Approval of Agenda

- added Replacement Funds question to agenda at the request of Tom (please see item 8)
- agenda approved

2. Approval of Prior Meeting Minutes: approved

3. Reports from the Chair and Sub-Group Chairs:

- Howard presented a budget update per SIRSI 2/8/01:

Allocation Free Balance Percentage

NB State Funds $3,283,156 $195,274 6%
Non State Funds $1,281,649 $581,635 45%
NB Total $4,564,805 $776, 909

Overview of the budget planning process: types of problems encountered

- More art than science
- New challenges every year, e.g.,
-Cancellation of Elsevier print journals due to the acquisition of Science Direct.
- Last fiscal year saw the introduction of a new approval plan
- Inflation rates are unpredictable
- SIRSI is difficult to use
- Overspending in selected subject areas
- Budget numbers not received until relatively late in the year

Suggestions for improving our management of the budget:

-More training in SIRSI is required. Gracemary will check on setting up training
sessions for the group
- Selectors need to know if an order can be filled in a reasonable amount of time
- Quarterly order status reports from Acquisitions would be useful
-Howard suggested that ideally we should have the benefit of guidance from rolling
five year budget projections, but this is unrealistic at present
- Howard issued an invitation to the group to join in the budget process
- Codify budget allocation procedures

Mary Fetzer reported:

- Social Science funds had been distributed.

- Institute of Management and Labor Relations Library (IMLR):

-Future status of this library and its collection are under study by a
special Dean's committee, of which Ryan and Mary are members.

-Ryan and Mary have prepared a list of IMLR journals, indicating extent
of overlap with collections in other RULS units, as well as online access.

-Meeting scheduled with Ryoko and Marianne Gaunt re IMLR.

Further discussion on budgeting and the rapid growth in electronic resources:

-Implications of the Growth of Electronic Resources:

-Growing shift in funds and control from individual selectors to Central.

-Examples: Approx.$800,000 representing some 450 Elsevier
titles was transferred to Central due to the acquisition of Science Direct,
and $67,000 from the Chemistry budget to acquire SciFinder Scholar.
Other examples could be cited.

-Growing limitations on selectors ability to cancel journals because they
are bundled under package agreements which forbid selective cancellation
of titles. As noted by Connie we have no control over publisher price increases,
and as our control over what can be cancelled is whittled away, budget over-
expenditures, especially in the case of science journals, will be increasingly
difficult to deal with.

-Public service and quality assurance issues remain to be addressed with the
growth in e-resources. At present we have no systematic way of dealing with
problems such as missing electronic issues, or late arrival of electronic journal
issues, or technical access problems, etc. What kind of organizational set-up
should be developed to deal efficiently with these and related matters?

-The group also expressed a desire to include e-journal backfile date ranges in
IRIS records, and also questioned why it was taking so long to update IRIS
records after the submission of changes.

-Further discussion on these matters relating to e-resources will be deferred to
a future meeting.

4. NBCG Election Process, HMD

NBCG has five elective offices: Chair plus four sub-group chairs. All are for two year terms, running concurrently, from July 1 of the year in which elections are held. This means that in any given election year, all five chairs could be replaced with new people. HMD noted that if this occurred, it would result in a serious loss in continuity in operations of NBCG and submitted a motion to hold sub-group chair elections every year for two of the four positions. This change would help mitigate the problem of losing all experienced chairs at the same time. To start the system, in the election to be held this coming June, two of the four sub-group chair positions will be for one year terms, and in the years following, for two year terms. Addie amended the motion with the proviso that the NBCG chair be elected before July 1 (election date to be set) to mesh better with other NBL elections. Both motions were carried unanimously.

5. Gift Book Processing, Kevin

Per new rules announced by TAS/Cataloging, per Rhonda Marker, a maximum of only 350 books per month will be accepted from NB for cataloging (500 from all RULS). Cataloging will automatically return to sender all books that exceed this quota. Kevin sugggested that we need better coordination between the NB libraries on this process.

It was noted that the Humanities group already has a very large collection of gift books (far in excess of 350). Kevin will draft a memo to Rhonda Marker about the group's concerns, and possible ways to deal with them. Group also suggested that Rhonda be invited to our next meeting to participate in the discussion.

6. Reserve Materials, Gracemary

Currently a large number of Rutgers University reports are sent to Access Services for designation as reserve materials. Ultimately, most of these materials wind up in the archives of Special Collections. The decision was made earlier to catalog these RU reports, but the number is so large it would be a huge undertaking, and Gracemary is seeking guidance from NBCG about how best to proceed. Addie and Gracemary formed an ad hoc committee to investigate further and report back to NBCG.

7. NB Collection Rationalization Project, Addie

- Ongoing
- Ecology titles have been processed
- Do we need to keep all paper indexes or house one archival copy at Alex?
- Addie will develop a list of indexes and abstracts in paper and online for further
consideration.

8. Quick Ordering of Replacement Items, Tom Glynn, Kevin

-Alex, Douglass and Kilmer libraries are not yet receiving lists of missing titles as had
been agreed on earlier. LSM is receiving such list.
-Howard will contact Farideh re uniform and timely distribution of the
missing/replacement books reports.

-Anyone wishing to order replacement books on an urgent basis can do so via use
of the RPM_ fund codes (e.g., RPMA for Alex, RPMS for LSM, etc.)

9. Miscellaneous Reports

- 2000 titles were reported to the copyright clearance center
- This number represents the number of times we had to pay copyright fees

The meeting adjourned at 11:15am

Submitted by Brian Hancock