STAFF RESOURCES

Minutes of July 18, 2008 Meeting

Present:
Jeris Cassel, Kayo Denda, Mary Fetzer, Sara Harrington (recorder), Karen Hartman, Helen Hoffman, Janet Howard, Tom Izbicki, Martin Kesselman, Triveni Kuchi, Kevin Mulcahy, Laura Mullen, Jim Niessen, Jane Sloan, Gracemary Smulewitz, Mary Beth Weber, Ryan Womack, Connie Wu, Tao Yang

1. The agenda was approved as submitted.

2. The May 16, 2008 minutes were approved.

3. Chair's Report (Kevin Mulcahy)

Kevin Mulcahy distributed two sheets which included reports from Director's Station. Included in the reports were YBP expenditures for 2006/2007 and 2007/2008. A total of $154,000 less was spent on the approval plan in 2008 than in 2007. Overall, NB spent $78,343.12 less in 2008 than in 2007. The recently instituted 10% "holdback" was mentioned, which leaves money in each fund that we cannot spend. It is likely that there will be no state monograph money for the coming year. During the most recent fiscal year our spending was fairly flat. There was an attempt to normalize database subscriptions at the end of the fiscal year. Gracemary Smulewitz and Kevin Mulcahy will look into the issue of the PerCur O funds, which are not considered central funds. In sum, all areas of spending have risen, with the exception of monographs, which is where we make our economies.

4. TAS Organizational Changes (Mary Beth Weber, Janet Howard, and Gracemary Smulewitz)

Mary Beth Weber and Janet Howard discussed TAS organizational changes. Mary Beth Weber explained that there no longer exists a separate Acquisitions Department, acquisitions is now a section of the overall unit. TAS has not yet had a workflow analysis; this will likely take place in the fall. The item type changes and holding codes projects have been extensive; the fiscal rollover was also a time consuming part of the summer's work. The rollover has been successfully completed, thanks to the work of many, including Janet Howard, Chris Sterback, Gracemary Smulewitz, and Nancy Hendrickson. Issues surrounding end processing will be a focus in the future. The Cataloging, Acquisitions, and TAS web pages will be updated, as will the appropriate contacts for a range of issues. Melissa DeFino has made a first pass at the revision of the gifts page. In the coming months vendors will be coming in; YBP, for example, will discuss how records are loaded and the types of records we receive. On the subject of e-books, Mary Beth Weber and Gracemary Smulewitz will reconstitute the E-book Task Force. Janet Howard indicated that best practices in e-book selection will be established (it is important to be aware of the 15% access fee and the fact that there are no discounts on e-books, for example). The Task Force will examine a range of e-book issues, such as, how do we find the funds for e-books, how do we calculate the costs and potential savings associated with e-books, who should be contacted with e-book package questions, etc.? Jim Niessen queried, for example, which web form to use when ordering reference e-books on selector funds: the ordinary selector funds firm order form: http://www.libraries.rutgers.edu/rul/forms/acqformsmonographs.shtml or the networked resources selector funds order form: http://www.libraries.rutgers.edu/rul/forms/net_req_selector.shtml

A number of RUL faculty and staff, including Bob Sewell, Cathy Pecararo, and Gracemary Smulewitz will be reviewing contracts and negotiating with vendors. Gracemary Smulewitz and her team have just completed a comprehensive review of licenses.

After a brief discussion it was decided that Jane Sloan will meet with Mary Beth Weber and Janet Howard to discuss a range of issues regarding media materials.

Janet Howard noted that there will be a dramatic change in the holding codes one sees in GOBI. Training will be provided, in the interim, please refer all questions to Janet.

5. Team Leader Reports

Sara Harrington (Arts and Humanities) announced that Artstor training for RUL will take place in the fall.

6. Report on the Inaugural Library Resources Council (LRC) Meeting and FY 2008 Budget Updates (Kevin Mulcahy and other LRC members)

The first meeting of the Library Resources Council was partly organizational. Mary Fetzer will chair the Council. There are a number of individuals on the LRC who also participate in NBCG. Bob Sewell said a bit about the upcoming budget situation. It is hoped that the $1.2 million infusion from University administration will help to restore NJKI (still unresolved) and help deal with inflation. LRC will examine a range of issues next year, including e-books, assessment, and cataloging and preservation of 'born digital' material, among other issues. (This last issue might also be explored by the Committee on Scholarly Communication.) Bob Sewell recommended including one agenda item per month on analog and/or preservation issues.

Gracemary Smulewitz stated that the Serials team is still working on the creation of a duplicate subscription list, to be posted in mid-August. These serials issues must be negotiated system-wide. Gracemary also noted that 2008 Haworth titles are not available electronically, this is a provider problem and is affecting all of academia. Gracemary will meet with Wiley to discuss Blackwell subscription options, we will likely go through NERL.

7. Educating the Faculty on Copy Rights (Jim Niessen)

Jim noted that a year ago RUL received several thousand copies of the ARL SPARC brochure entitled "Know Your Copy Rights," intended for instructors. After a Committee on Scholarly Communication discussion, RUL will hold back on the distribution of these brochures because comprehensive and unified copyright support for follow-up questions and concerns is not yet fully available. A wide-ranging discussion ensued. Some felt that the brochures should be distributed, as the brochure content could shortly become incomplete and/or incorrect, and the brochure might represent a first step in faculty education regarding copyright and as a gateway to larger issues relating to scholarly communication. Others argued that the complexity of the RU environment, and issues surrounding reserves, course packets, and course management systems, made brochure distribution potentially problematic. It was noted that copyright information already exists as part of the "Reserve Services: A Guide for Faculty" page. Jim Niessen agreed to return to the CSC to ask if library liaisons could selectively distribute brochures to interested faculty, providing the liaisons signal the complexity of the issue in our current environment.

8. Alexander Weeding Project (Gracemary Smulewitz and Kevin Mulcahy)

Alexander Library, and other RUL libraries, lack enough shelving space for growing collections. Weeding projects, in conjunction with the Collection Management Group chaired by Andy Martinez, will be started. Alexander Library's weeding project will likely begin in January 2009. Currently, a small weeding project in the reference area is taking place. It was noted that it might be useful to have a general discussion about weeding and the issues surrounding weeding projects. It was underscored that these are long-term, staff and time intensive projects. Perhaps this issue should be taken up by the LRC, as an "analog issues" discussion topic.

9. Proposal to Cut Publishers from the YBP Profile-preliminary discussion

A review of publishers in any particular area can be conducted online, as well as at the actual item level. (See the publishers list on the T drive: path "Common" folder, then "Approval" folder.) This agenda item will appear again at a fall NBCG meeting, it may be helpful in the interim to look for examples of publishers that should arguably be cut.

10. Reports

Marilyn Wilt contacted Triveni Kuchi regarding a 2008 banned books week proposal. Please contact Marilyn Wilt with the names of faculty members who might be interested in appearing as part of a panel discussion on the topics of intellectual freedom and the impact of censorship.

The meeting was adjourned at 11:35 a.m.

Respectfully submitted,
Sara Harrington



 
URL: http://www.libraries.rutgers.edu/rul/staff/nbl/nbcg/minutes/nbcgmin_08_07_18.shtml
Website Feedback  |  Privacy Policy

© Copyright 1997-2013, Rutgers University Libraries   (Further Copyright Information)