STAFF RESOURCES

Minutes of December 17, 2010 Meeting

Present:
J.Cassel, K. Denda, M. Fetzer, R.Gardner, M.Gasparatto, T.Glynn, K. Hartman, H. Hoffman (recorder), M Kesselman, T.Kuchi, M-L.Lo, J. Mardikian, K. Mulcahy, L. Mullen, J. Nathanson, J. Niessen, J.Sloan, G.Smulewitz, G. Springs, M-B. Weber, M-C.Wilson, , R. Womack (Chair), C.Wu, T. Yang

1. Agenda

Item 4 postponed. Agenda approved.

2. Reports and Updates

R.Womack will send his reports by e-mail. We are gradually trimming approval spending – urged us to spend our discretionary funds. T.Izbicki had another meeting to attend, but reports that his long-term forecast indicates we will have significant year-end money so that selectors should have potential acquisitions prepared.

K.Hartman for LRC: There will be some one-time money. Team leaders will discuss the process for distributing and spending. In the possible case of additional continuing funds, selectors should keep in mind potential acquisition of journals and databases. J.Sloan gave a presentation on streaming video at LRC; more information on the Media project is forthcoming.

G.Smulewitz: A glitch in invoicing has made it appear that Periodical funds were not spent. However, within the new few weeks, that should be corrected. After all payments are recorded, we should know how much money is left. Re: Alex café. Some work has been postponed - construction will begin on Feb.7 and should be completed Apr.7. All items scheduled to transfer to Annex have been moved. In the meantime, Material Services will move or take some of the shelving. CTS and Imaging Services have formed a committee working to restructure microform collections in the available space. Weeding of ERIC fiche moving along – so far 28 cabinets are reduced to 2. Susan Graham will move from TAS at TSB to DTS at Alex. to work on records for Documents, and Internet Archive project. Reporting for M.Weber: Mary Belinsky will retire at end of May. Her position will be filled. There will be other retirements in Acquisitions as well.

3. Weeding and Space Priorities

Jamie Maguire is managing workflow for all weeding projects to avoid simultaneous weeding of same call numbers in different libraries.

Art Library: The Library is out of room. This has been exacerbated by an inability to use some top shelves because of fire regulations. We're dealing with this in a number of ways:

We're also discussing some other things, like compact shelving. Weeding and space issues at Art are a priority, and will require long term efforts. has severe space problems; there is continuous long-term weeding.

Douglass: K.Denda distributed handout "Snapshot of space and collections at Douglass building". Media from Kilmer and Music are consolidated; Music Dept. wants all music materials on the same floor. New seminar room next to Fordham Lab will be controlled by University Scheduling, not the Library. K. Denda questioned separation of Music materials when all other collections are being consolidated. K.Mulcahy pointed out that musicians might be more likely than most to be using two media simultaneously, e.g., study a score while listening to audio. A long discussion ensued on the topic of keeping materials close to the faculties they support vs. consolidation in the major libraries. M. Fetzer reminded us that the nature of Douglass collections are evolving and there will be further discussion on the nature of the collection, much of this being decided at the “Dean to Dean” and higher levels. If funding is received from Mason Gross, the seminar room might become the Performing Arts seminar room, rather than Music seminar room. The seminar room will be built regardless of Mason Gross decision. K. Denda suggested that a focus group be convened involving all stakeholders, e.g., Political Science, Portugese, and other nearby departments. The initial weeding of 36,677 volumes from Douglass is only a portion of the ultimate goal of removing 58,000 volumes. It was noted that some of the "out of scope" titles at Douglass are used by patrons; the importance of duplicate copies in a school of over 50,000 students was emphasized. It was pointed out that for more than 10 years the Libraries have been moving away from a model of locating collections at Library buildings for geographic convenience of departments. G.Smulewitz reiterated that the issue driving the weeding process is space.

Kilmer: J.Cassel reported that Kilmer has done continuous weeding – they have had severe budget cuts and no longer can sustain the Social Science and Comparative Literature collections which were good. Business is the only growth area at Kilmer. With the carpeting project, Kilmer has removed Periodicals stacks. Additional weeding will be done. Kilmer has a donor to fund conversion of Room 5 to a videoconferencing room. The opening will be September 11 as the donation is in honor of an alum. killed on September 11, 2001. The space vacated by Media will be converted to an electronic classroom but this will require significant funding. J.Cassel also reported requests for popular reading material at Kilmer as well as demand for classics. R.Womack reminded us to keep in mind the vision of Livingston as a Professional campus with SMLR to be moving soon. T.Kuchi also recognized student need for study space. M.Fetzer mentioned Targum survey which showed that 48% of students prefer to study in a Library. K.Mulcahy suggested that e-books and readers may reduce some pressure – M.Lo mentioned that e-book task force is asking USC to investigate this. G.Smulewitz and M-B Weber attended an e-book forum involving several schools and that it was reported that students do not like that format as they cannot mark up the material. She suggested weeding bound periodicals where there is online access in order to free up space for collections and study space.

J.Mardikian reminded us that, especially in Pharmacy and Medicine, many e-books come in packages requiring yearly subscription but that we do not have a mechanism for continuing costs for books.

Science Libraries: R.Gardner distributed "Weeding Priority Notes for the Science Libraries" - addresses priorities and questions to be resolved at LSM, Chang, Chemistry , Physics and Math.

At LSM (see handout) main priority is to repurpose the 3rd floor. M.Kesselman, L.Mullen and F.Puniello are working on plans for the 3rd floor and reconfiguration of 1st floor which would follow extensive weeding. Abandoned DTS space is now vacant. The old Copy Center will be used for DTS staff. L.Mullen reported that students studying at LSM, especially in the evenings, do not have access to food or drink nor does LSM have enough chairs for all students who want to study here. (Both public vending machines and access to "grease trucks" during finals were suggested.) Planning is underway to make LSM Conference Room into E-classroom as well as a meeting room similar to the Pane Room. Before that happens must reduce noise made by air-handlers, acquire new furniture, laptops, etc. M.Fetzer reminded us of fiscal concerns. Once F.Puniello has plans, she and M.Fetzer must collaborate to find the funding. In January M.Fetzer will get a report on salary savings so she will have an idea of money available – and then decide how to use that funding to best effect.

Chang – the whole library needs to be looked at with attention to removing several ranges of empty current periodical shelving, freeing up space currently taken up by bound periodicals, weeding the circulating collection and repurposing the space that would be gained.

Physics and Chemistry – we are not sure of their status as separate branches or whether we could maintain Library control of the space, for use as Data Centers or other purposes, should we remove print collections.

Math – (again see handout) – Conference proceedings on Reserve can be weeded.

Science branches: Smulewitz commented that if we just remove duplicate bound periodicals from among the branches will clear out significant space. M.Kesselman suggested concentrating on weeding periodicals in applied sciences which have a shorter useful shelf-life. We were reminded of a plan, a few years ago, to consolidate all bound journals in one location with Rapid Delivery of articles for users.

Alexander Library: K.Mulcahy identified long runs of old Reference titles – which were removed by DTS thus creating space. Reference was reduced by ~6000 vols. resulting in increased study space. There is lots of duplication of old titles which were once needed for Reserve. Much of the Business collection has been weeded, some material sent to Kilmer. Many patrons, crowding lower floors, are not aware of empty carrels and tables on upper floors. Suggested signage to direct students to these areas.R.Womack reported that G.Agnew reported that it would be less expensive to digitize than to move to Annex. Copyright issues would have to be addressed. G.Smulewitz reported that in past weeding projects selectors have worked only with IRIS lists, rather than looking at the shelves, which means a lot of old material is overlooked.

Special Collections: also needs additional space. J. Niessen pointed out that the bound periodicals area of Alex. (not a high use collection) is contiguous with Special Collections so might be considered for their expansion.

East Asian: T.Yang reported that East Asian is moving periodicals to Alex.basement to create space for new books. Will have 5 years of growth space. Many titles not in IRIS.

K.Mulcahy reminded us that all of these issues are interrelated. We have only a few JSTOR packages – because of their high (and continuing) costs, which limits weeding of bound volumes.

R.Womack suggested a team to look at Periodicals – promulgate principles for consolidation of microforms and periodicals. M.Fetzer pointed out that we need to think about how we want building to be used – do we want to remove much of collections just to free up study space? It was agreed that Team Leaders will work together to plan on how we can proceed.

4. Announcements:

T.Glynn: NBISG scheduled for Jan. 7 which interferes with ALA. He will do Doodle poll to see whether people want to keep meeting date or postpone. At next meeting will continue unfinished discussion of Instruction.

J.Sloan – Media Center Opening celebration will be on Feb.1 from 1 to 6 pm. Liaisons will be asked to notify faculty – she will forward relevant information. R. Womack is working with Dr. Pazzani’s office (Alicia Morgan) to help faculty to comply with NSF data management requirements. See website: data.rutgers.edu.

Meeting was adjourned at approximately 12 noon.



 
URL: http://www.libraries.rutgers.edu/rul/staff/nbl/nbcg/minutes/nbcgmin_10_12_17.shtml
Website Feedback  |  Privacy Policy

© Copyright 1997-2013, Rutgers University Libraries   (Further Copyright Information)