Common Knowledge Database Meeting Minutes - August 10, 1999
Present: Ron Jantz (Chair), Scott Hines, Stephanie Bartz, Penny Small, Rebecca
Gardner, Fernando Chang, Susan Goodman, Linda Langschied
Recorder: Linda Langschied
A. CKDB Audit
The CKDB Audit is underway. Each team member is reviewing and
correcting a set of assigned records to insure accuracy and relevance of
the database. Questions raised and decisions about the process are:
- Locations: If item lacks a call number, give library location
anyway, using official IRIS library loc. designations
- Contact: Usually left blank unless an outside agency
- Difficult to verify items: If accuracy cannot be fairly easily
verified, and the item does not seem to be critical information, may
consider deleting. If uncertain, forward these items to Stephanie.
- Alex-specific items: Can be forwarded to Stephanie or Linda for
verification if the person(s) designated to audit them are unable to do
- Sources: When available, the source for the information being
entered into the CKDB should be included in the record.
- Deadline: The audit should be completed by the end of September.
B. Multiple Locations:
Stephanie recommended using a newly-designed entry form which:
- allows for entry of multiple library locations, and
- merges Loc and Call # - this will necessitate reviewing any items
audited prior to implementing the new form, and making appropriate
The changes were discussed and will be implemented as soon as possible.
The audit will be temporarily postponed until changes to the interface
have been completed.
Stephanie will insert a disclaimer in the main CKDB page indicating that
IRIS is the best source for most up-to-date call numbers and locs.
C. CKDB - Promoting its use
The group resolved to promote use through a variety of awareness-raising
- Significant additions to the CKDB (e.g. if Camden's database is
merged in) will be announced via e-mail.
- An e-mail after audit completion will be sent to all in RUL.
- CKDB will be demonstrated at various meetings, e.g. Ron will
demonstrate at a forthcoming New Brunswick library faculty meeting.
- Linda will have stickers made for ref/info desk terminals that remind
service providers to check the CKDB.
- Ron will look into announcing the CKDB in the Weekly Agenda.
Next meeting is tentatively scheduled for 2:00, September 21 in the SCC
- Heyer Conference room.