New Brunswick PC Coordination Team Minutes April 24, 2002
Attending: Stephanie Bartz (Team Leader), Isaiah Beard, Anthony Joachim (recorder), Kevin
- "Using CD-RW Drives on Library Public Workstations"
- PCWG Distribution Plan
- Backups Again
- Updates & Other
1. "Using CD-RW Drives on Library Public Workstations":
The group reviewed and commented on the document, "Using CD-RW Drives on Library Public
Workstations" which was created by Isaiah. Some minor changes were suggested, and public
distribution of this document will occur once the PCWG and Systems have had a chance to look
Another question that arose from this conversation was who would sell blank CD-R and CD-RW
discs to students. In the past, Access Services has sold computer discs, but this may need to
be revisited at the next PCWG meeting.
2. PCWG Distribution Plan:
The redistribution of ACIC computers that were replaced by ELF machines is currently on hold,
awaiting decisions by Grace Agnew and the PCWG.
3. Backups Again:
We discussed the need for back-ups and how we should handle coverage needs between our
libraries. The following was decided upon as a plan as our plan of action for future coverage:
Short-Term Absence: This covers unexpected absences (illness or emergency) of one or two days.
- Non-emergency computer issues will be directed to the Trouble Ticket back-up for that library (usually the Administrative Assistant for that library/building). The back-up will be responsible for placing requests to the Systems department during this time.
- Any situation that is considered urgent should called in to Systems directly for assistance.
- Special situations, such as classes and/or presentations requiring technical assistance, will be arranged for between the PC Coordinators (NBPC)
Long-Term Absence: This constitutes a planned or unplanned absence (vacation or long-term
leave) which will directly affect the operation of a particular library or libraries.
- Arrangements for coverage should be made prior to such an absence, where possible. At these times, it is expected that other PC Coordinators will offer their services, when possible, in order to maintain daily library operations.
- This is especially important in regard to classes and/or presentations being done by librarians and library staff.
4. Updates & Other:
- The question arose as to changing the scanning size on the new microform machines. Kevin will look into this and report to group.
- Tony presented copies of documents for the Best Practices webpage that had previously been sent to the PCWG Listserv, but had not gone through. He will attempt to re-send these documents to the list.
- Stephanie handed out End of Year Equipment Request directions for the group's review. NBPC will send comments and corrections to Stephanie.
Next meeting: Wednesday, May 22, 2002, 3:00 p.m., at Kilmer Library.