Minutes of November 5, 2010 Meeting
- Jim Niessen, Jill Nathanson, Qian Hu (recorder), Rebecca Gardner, Mary Fetzer (AUL for RIS), Eileen Stec, Ryan Womack, Joseph Abraham, Tom Glynn (chair), Kayo Denda
1. Agenda approved, minutes approved.
2. Report of the AUL for RIS- Mary Fetzer
- The original LibGuide task force will change to a working group to advise Gene Springs, the LibGuide manager.
- Donna Schulman has created a new SMLR library webpage.
- A group will survey RUL faculty for their preferences for filling new lines. Under the terms of the AAUP contract, we may be able to hire on 2-3 new lines. These are separate from Target of Opportunity hires.
3. Goals Discussion:
- Investigate providing seminars on topics that facilitate research across a range of disciplines:
Ryan has conducted several R workshops at Alex and the Hill center. He suggested two new workshops:
a data management workshop and a census data workshop.
Kayo reported a pilot workshop series sponsored by the Margery Somers Foster Center. The pilot
workshops included a multimedia workshop and an interview workshop.
Tom suggested a possible workshop on Smithsonian Global Sound.
Jim reported on two workshops on the Visual History Archive database that were co-organized by the
Bildner Center and Jim.
Mary suggested we work in group to present individual workshops as a series of library resources
workshops. Kayo suggested setting up a page with a schedule of workshops and a web-form to make it
easy for users to find out about workshops and sign up. This suggestion also relates to another
goal: Communicate with the new Web Board regarding the placement of reference services on the new
Jill suggested using online formats such as webinars as well as hands-on, in-person instruction. The
group discussed the technical requirements of recording, presenting, and broadcasting webinars and
other online formats. Tom will talk to Rich about Adobe Connect and other software we might use for
these kinds of workshops.
Jim suggested workshops for RefWorks. However, since OIT already offers RefWorks workshops, the
library may consider to collaborating with OIT on workshops for RefWorks and other resources. Tom
will talk to OIT.
- Streamline communication and coordination of librarian support for 302 (Technical Writing) and 303
(Writing for Business and Professions) classes.
"Clickers", hardware and associated software that allows students to take quick, anonymous quizzes
or surveys in a library class, was mentioned as a good way to get students active participation.
Jill will submit to Mary a proposal for purchasing the clickers.
Tom will discuss with Jeris how best to approach the Writing Program about Research in the
Discipline courses whose topics do not lend themselves well to library research.
Eileen will send Tom the questionnaire/survey she hands out students at the end of her Knowledge and
Power classes. Tom will forward it to NBISG.
Rebecca suggested asking the instructor to communicate with the librarian about the students'
progress after the library session. Jill suggested following up with the instructor after several
weeks to see how students coming along with their research. Specifically, was suggested that the
instructors review the citations students submit and get back to the librarian if there is a
- Communicating with the new Web Board regarding the replacement of reference services on the new
Tom has met with Tibor, the chair of the new Web Board. The new WB will meet next week. Tibor is
very eager to hear ideas from NBISG.
- Provide training for reference and information assistance across NB libraries.
Jim and Eileen have done training for new RA and IAs. Some libraries didn't participate because for
various reasons they hire their students after Alexander and Douglass Libraries. Eileen set up a
discussion group on Sakai for RA/IAs to post reference questions they answer at the reference desk.
The Sakai site set up a few years ago for all NBL RA/IAs, still exists, but has not been used
- NBISG will discuss the remaining goal at a later meeting: "Discuss the changing needs for
reference and instruction in New Brunswick and ways to meet those needs. Discuss possible new
formats for reference services in the future."