STAFF RESOURCES

Minutes of October 12, 2012 Meeting

Present:
Joseph Deodato, Mary Fetzer, Rebecca Gardner, Tom Glynn (Chair), Melissa Just, Mei Ling Lo, Kevin Mulcahy, Laura Mullen (recorder), Jill Nathanson , Andrew Ruggiero, Jane Sloan, Ningfen Wu, Tao Yang

Agenda

  1. Chair's report- Glynn (5 minutes)
  2. AUL for RIS's report- Just (5 minutes)
  3. Next steps for mobile devices- All (20 minutes)
  4. Planning for NBISG activities, 2012-13-- All (20 minutes) See attached.
  5. Core Reference Responsibilities TF Report- Glynn (20 minutes) See attached.
  6. Guide-on-the-Side demo and discussion of point-of-need instruction- Deodato and All (20 minutes)
  7. Announcements- All (5 minutes)

1. Chair's Report (TG)

Glynn introduced the libraries' new guest to NBISG: Ningfen Wu. At an upcoming meeting, we can have a chance to share information, both from her perspective and ours.

TG Reported on two items:

1. Follow up on EasyBib. EasyBib is of interest- and has some advantages -but the recommendation is not to pursue it at this time because we have an ongoing commitment with RefWorks.

2. Discussion about two patrons with learning disabilities who have raised some concerns at Alexander and other libraries. The users are contacting multiple desks with the same questions; often this is by phone and for long periods of time, so the desk is unable to help other users. There is a need for training for all in libraries on effective dealing with students with learning challenges/disabilities. Tom Glynn will confer with the new chair of the Disabilities Committee when he or she is elected. This issue generally may be an agenda item at a future meeting. Email Tom if there are questions about these two specific library users, or other similar situations.

2. AUL/RIS Report (MJ)

Diversity Committee discussed an updated boilerplate profile statement for use in all APPs. All APPs for NBL are in the works and have been sent to SandyTroy. Posting will happen as soon as the new profile language can be incorporated. The University Computing Specialist job at Kilmer has been posted. It will remain a USC. There is a search committee that will be ready to go at any time. Purger and Just will be meeting to talk about the results of the wireless form survey. Some areas are critical; there are areas in the libraries having trouble connecting to secure wireless. Purger has worked with OIT, and they are responsive. We might need to spend money to upgrade wireless. Purger and Just will make a proposal for funding to upgrade wireless. Staff space is secondary; public spaces need to take priority. Instruction spaces with wireless problems are a huge problem. LSM and Kilmer are real problems; the signal doesn't pass through concrete. OIT has come and sat in on classes. Nobody has heard of any problems with wireless in the Alex IHLs.

3. Mobile devices (TG)

Libraries purchased 2 iPads and 3 other devices; we have 5 altogether. One rationale for getting them was that some librarians needed more familiarity with mobile devices. Glynn asked for ideas of what to do with them now. Is anyone using them for reference services? Security is problematic at the desk. The Libraries need security procedures that allow for convenience as well. One iPad was used for new student orientation; Kilmer has used them for instruction while walking around. Wireless problems can get in the way-Nathanson wants to experiment with the software to be able to use iPads more in the spring for instruction. Lo has been showing students the mobile page and apps at LSM. Lo uses the iPad for instruction purposes, and leaves the device locked in the LSM conference room. Deodato wonders whether the devices have been put into the hands of students in similar ways as laptop lending, and he (and a group) have met with Verizon to talk about services (6 pilot projects-ereader lending, augmented reality, course integrated instruction, etc). If there is interest, and we had more hardware, we could make up a proposal. Ruggiero reports that Oswell was most active in experimenting with different uses of the devices at DGLSS-there is secure storage right there by reference. DGLSS is staffed heavily by graduate students, and they would like to use new services with mobile devices.

Tom will ask team leaders at each library for updates on use of mobile devices at their respective libraries and also how they are stored. Jane asks about the status of the laptop lending program. Tom will get a status report on that as well. Tom will prepare a report that also incorporates Deodato's six proposed pilot projects. He will send it to NBISSG and this will be an agenda item at a future meeting.

There was also a discussion of inviting IAs to meetings. They may have to be paid in order to attend. It might be useful to invite students to individual library reference meetings, and also to NBISG meetings. IAs or reference assistants will be asked if they want to come to the meetings.

4. Planning for NBISG activities (TG) /Strategic Plan Grid activities and outcomes:

1. Activity: Market and assess centralized telephone service

Outcome: Users find it easier to get reference assistance by telephone

Indicators: Increased reference transactions by telephone; user comments in Counting Opinions; user comments during reference transactions 848-932-6000 will not be used for Camden and Newark. Melissa will bring this issue to Cabinet to discuss how, where to place the NB number. The previously constituted committee can continue its work. It will confer and advise the Web Board, via Joseph, as to the best placement of the phone number on our web pages. We also discussed placing basic contact info at the bottom of our homepage: the 2-6000 numbers and the address of RUL admin, Alexander library. We decided that Rollout and assess was a better description for this activity.

2. Activity: Continue to develop the NBL Toolkit

Outcome: More efficient access to information for librarians and students working at the reference desks

Indicators: Feedback from librarians and students assistants, especially student assistants and new librarians; LibGuide statistics; formal or informal poll of librarians towards the end of the school year

This is a useful ongoing activity. Librarians are encouraged to contribute to the guide as editors. We should make sure that student assistants are aware of the guide: http://libguides.rutgers.edu/nblref_toolkit

3. Activity: Explore point-of-need teaching tools such as LibGuides' Campus Guide, Guide-on-the-Side, and locally developed tools

Outcome: Better online, point-of-need guidance for users doing research

Indicators: Usage statistics for the tools developed; user comments in Counting Opinions; possibly students' comments or surveys in instruction sessions

This mirrors a User Services Council goal. Local input is very important since instruction has very local implications. Point of need is critical, as users' expectations change and attention spans shrink. We can coordinate with USC about what is happening. Librarians are encouraged to bring products to NBISG so we can bring awareness to the larger group. Local discussions will inform USC discussions. "Guide on the Side" did not have an enthusiastic response at USC; but allowed visibility of this sort of products. USC decided that EBSCO widgets will be used to embed a chat box on the right of the results page in Ebsco databases when the chat service is available.

4. Activity: Examine library instruction in a broad context; who and what we teach; both online and face-to-face instruction

Outcome: More effective, efficient library instruction at all levels

Indicators: user comments in instruction sessions; user comments in Counting Opinions; possibly a survey of students who have received instruction, online or face-to-face

AUL for RIS is appointing a systemwide committee with representation from NBISG; Tom asks for robust reporting back from this systemwide group to NBISG and vice versa. Distance learning was discussed. There will be a workshop on integrating the library for faculty involved in distance learning. Librarians can get statistics from ecollege for the grid. We have a student and faculty component for ecollege, and we can see how many times instructional videos have been viewed.

5.Core responsibilities task force report

Draft report went to USC. Discussion ensued about the report that was distributed by email entitled:

Core Reference Responsibilities for Public Service Librarians

A main recommendation of the draft report is that each librarian will have to participate in two out of three types of reference. However, USC felt strongly that all public services librarians should participate in all forms of reference offered, now and in future. If workload is an issue, discuss with AUL. Very little discussion followed; NBISG concurs. After years of discussion on this issue, now it seems to be not so contentious. Reference is changing. A question arose as to whether this specific wording will be part of all new librarian job descriptions. There will be changes in the language of this report; it will come back to USC as a revised document. Womack added that this report does not talk about the situation that we have now with different units doing different modes of public services. There will be lots of changes in these services over time, and the AUL will be the one who would have to monitor this.

6.Guide on the Side (JD)

Allows creation of online tutorials without any technical knowledge. This gives the user instruction on using a product without having to toggle between open windows. Tutorials are easy to create and update. Quizzes and feedback options are integrated. Deodato demonstrated a quick "Guide on the Side" for the catalog using a demo site. It is synchronous and contextual; the user is interacting in real time. These are useful for students' preparing for instruction sessions. Limitations include that it is not really embedded, uses frames (older technology), and the editor doesn't accept html. Anyone can create an account; Deodato will send out a URL to which people can go if they are interested in pursuing use of "Guide on the Side."

A follow up discussion about the EBSCO widget, and the kind of chat implementation that would allow the chat box to show up at the point of need followed. All of this depends on what the proprietary databases allow. JD/MLO will talk with vendors and continue to investigate options, and report back to NBISG. Chat team will need notice if anything is to change that might affect chat.

7. Announcements

Nathanson and Lo are working on more instructional videos; looking for librarian volunteers to participate. If you are interested in participating, send an email to one of them.

1500 students are going through the "Students in Transition sessions." These are taught by library school students. Some students are not going to the class. Some have approached the reference desks and AAL chat with the assignment. Librarians and those at desks are reminded to use the dedicated Libguide: libguides.rutgers.edu/stsintroduction. There is a list of professors' names that students can use on the Libguide under the "Finding Scholarly Articles by RU Professors" tab.

Mulcahy: Funds will be allocated/distributed in the next week or two by NB team leaders.

Deodato: DIG is hosting a second session on Searchlight on Oct. 31, 2012. 2:00 in the Pane Room, teleconferenced to LSM and other locations.

Adjournment: 12:00

Respectfully submitted,
Laura Bowering Mullen
10/13/12



 
URL: http://www.libraries.rutgers.edu/rul/staff/nbl/nbisg/minutes/nbisg_12-10-12.shtml
Website Feedback  |  Privacy Policy

© Copyright 1997-2013, Rutgers University Libraries   (Further Copyright Information)