Minutes of the New Brunswick Information Services Steering Group Meeting

Thursday, May 10, 2001

Present: Stephanie Bartz, Jeris Cassel, Kayo Denda, Ellen Gilbert, Scott Hines Ron Jantz (recorder), Penny Page, Pat Piermatti

The minutes of the previous meeting were approved with no changes.

Nomination/Election Procedure for the new ISSG Chair
Seventeen people responded to Penny's email that they wanted to be part of the NB Information Services Group. After some discussion, we decided to propose the following to the NBLF at the next meeting: 1) all NBLF would be considered to be members of the NB Information services group and 2) all NBLF would be eligible to vote for the new chair.

Our reasoning for this was that all faculty are somehow related to or are actively doing information service and it seemed a bit arbitrary to just allow those who responded to email to vote. Penny will send out email asking for nominations and will lead the discussion at the next NBLF regarding the proposal above. We also have suggested Marty Kesselman and Kevin Mulcahy for the chair position; Penny will check with them to see if they are interested.

Ask a Librarian Volunteers
NB will need 11 volunteers to cover 22 days per month. The assignment is for 6 months beginning July 1, 2001. The volunteers so far include: Jeris Cassel, Rebecca Gardner, Sarah Harrington, Scott Hines, Marty Kesselman, Laura Mullen, Leslie Murtha. Possible additional volunteers who will be contacted include: Hector Perez-Gilbe, Jackie Mardikian, Kevin Mulcahy, Jane Sloan, Eileen Stec, Addie Tallau, and Karen Wenk,

NBL Reference Manual
We reviewed the NBL reference manual and made a number of revisions. The most significant changes are listed here although there were several wording changes not identified here but will be added to the text by Penny. The most significant changes include:
· The CKDB section will become an appendix.
· Jeris will be added as the Instructional Services liaison.
· The liaison for the Central Telephone Service Team will be removed since that team does not exist anymore.
· The NB PC working group was renamed the NB PC Coordination Team to eliminate any confusion with the RUL-wide group.
· After some discussion, we decided that we were not sure what the reporting procedure was for problem situations (e.g. whether to report first to Access Services or to the administrative assistant). Scott will check it out and let us know.
· The hourly rate in the job posting template for Information Assistants was changed from $7.00 to $8.50 to be consistent with the rest of the document.

Summer Reference Hours
OK as is.

Douglass Weekend Hours
Weekend hours on Saturday and Sunday will continue on voucher funds.

PC Coordinators - Backups
Stephanie will put out a note clarifying the backup procedure.

Other - Next Meeting
Jeris will attend the May PSC meeting as the NBISSG representative. Our next meeting is June 21 and we are considering an all day meeting to catch up on unfinished business. The remainder of the agenda including a discussion of how to handle Centralized Telephone Service at Alex was postponed for the next meeting so that those interested could attend the SAPAC lunch discussion.