New Brunswick Information Services Group
Present: Ron Jantz, Marty Kesselman, Kevin Mulcahy, Penny Page, Pat Piermatti,
Sabine Rauchmann (Guest), Myoung Wilson (Chair), Ryan Womack (Recorder)
- August minutes were approved.
- Sabine Rauchmann was welcomed as a guest. Sabine will be observing
information services activities across NBL during her stay.
- Myoung will be away next month. Penny will chair the next meeting.
Any agenda items should be sent to her.
- Discussion of Real Time Reference Service. Real Time Reference was
identified as a top goal of Public Services Council for this year. Money has
not yet been allocated for continuation of the Live Assistance software, but
as soon as it is, the service will be restarted. Concerns over staffing and
workload related to RTR were expressed. Evaluation of student research needs
will help to identify where services are most needed. Marty is beginning a
survey on this issue.
- Voucher funds should be spent aggressively up to 5% over the allocations,
using special projects if necessary.
- NB Reference Manual will be updated to include new information on the
Public Access to Government Records Law.
- Discussion on Instruction. An online form would ease data collection
of instruction statistics. Ron and Myoung will investigate this. Everyone
should get their statistics to Marilyn Tankewicz in a timely manner. Online
tutorials should be investigated for handling large groups of students. A
couple of Dialogue grant proposals are being put forward on this issue. It
was suggested that Ryoko's office coordinate preproposal if possible. Staffing
for Spring English 201 sessions should be discussed at a future meeting.
- Training of new staff/IAs was discussed. Douglass has developed checklists
for training and a listserv for discussion of reference issues. It will not
be possible to coordinate training among different libraries due to schedule
- Reference hours for NB are complete and will be posted on the NBL server.
- Ask-A-Librarian discussion. Concerns were expressed over patron privacy
and the volume of e-mail. New software may be coming to help with this.
- New information services personnel include Jordan Brewster (Alex),
Maria Larson (LSM), Ann Bemis (Kilmer), Kathleen Creegan (LSM), Mei-Ling Lo
(Math), Laura Mullen (LSM), Anita Kreitman (Douglass).
- Miscellaneous updates: Gale print titles included in the online Reference
Shelf will be cancelled. D21 renovations will start in March. The instructional
alcove will be moved downstairs. Aweb site will provide updates on construction.
CKDB should be included in training for new hires. NetOps software still has
bugs that need to be ironed out.
Respectfully submitted by Ryan Womack