New Brunswick Libraries
Information Services Steering Group
Thursday, November 13, 2003
Kilmer Area Library Conference Room
Present: S. Bartz, J. Cassel,
K. Mulcahy, F. Olin, P. Page (recorder), P. Piermatti, M. Wilson
Guests: C. Finlay, R. Gardner,
M. Kesselman, M.L. Lo
- Minutes of the October meeting
- Two items were added to the agenda
under New Business:
- Proposal for enhanced reference
at Chang (MK)
- Report of the Access/Information
Services Subcommittee (JC and FO)
Ongoing Business - tabled.
Services at the Branches - Guests Finlay (SMLR), Gardner and Kesselman
(Chang), and Lo (Math) were welcomed to the meeting. Wilson distributed
copies of flow charts for reporting instruction and reference statistics.
Reporting of instruction statistics seems to be good; at the end of the
academic year Wilson will request cumulative reports for the year for each
librarian (can also be done by library, if needed). Reference statistics
are more troublesome. RUL only wants sampling day statistics, but NBL collects
for the full month. Branches have been reporting these to NBL using the
online forms, but these haven't been forwarded for the RUL statistics so
some branches have no reference statistics for the sampling days. To simplify
matters and strive for more consistency, Wilson suggested that the administrative
assistant responsible for each branch/unit could retrieve the data for the
sampling days from the NBL form and report this for the RUL statistics.
NBL has a separate online form for the sampling days, so it is important
that branch staff complete this in addition to the full monthly statistics
form. Wilson will review data in December to see if all are reporting. Our
goal is to implement the new policy effective January 2004. The Unit Administrative
Team will take the data from the NBL webpage and will forward the reference
sampling day data to RUL. Wilson will work out the procedure with Charlene
Houser to see if we can firm up our reporting structure. Another issue of
concern is whether we're underreporting reference statistics because questions
answered by other library staff (for instance, at the Access Services desks)
don't get counted anywhere. Olin and Cassel will bring this up in their
subcommittee with Access Services. Some branches report all their statistics
as "off-desk" since they don't maintain scheduled reference desk
hours. Wilson advised everyone to use their best judgement concerning which
section they fill out on the web-based form; however, filling out the sampling
day reference statistics are mandatory. Further clarification of definitions
will be sought.
- Concerns at the
Branches - Email is best method of communication with the branches.
Math and Chang also find participation in LSM librarian meetings helpful
in staying abreast of current happenings and issues. Art and SMLR should
be invited to ALEX reference meetings for similar benefit. Other concerns:
Math - Staffing
is a problem; ML Lo is only part-time.
Chang - Wireless
not working. Need NetOps and a new laptop to replace 486. Could also use
a dedicated instruction room near the library. Wilson will contact Puniello
about approaching Cook alumni for funds (through RUL Development Office).
SMLR - Losing
student worker. Getting 8 new public PCs from Systems. Can some of these
offer Word (especially needed for working students who use the library there)?
Bartz will check with Systems to see if possible to make exception from
- Open Lines at
Kilmer and Alex - The position description for a Librarian V for Kilmer,
to provide reference and instruction, received final approval with minor
corrections. The minimum state guidelines for salary have increased to $39,000.
Since we're not certain about the funding available for this position, Human
Resources will add that figure before posting, after consultation with the
Acting Director. This will be posted for one year appointment, with possibility
of renewal. The initial draft for a Librarian V for Alex was approved by
ISSG and will go to the NBL faculty for review at the 11/21 meeting. Kesselman
proposed a related agenda item for the NBL faculty meeting--discussion of
adequate compensation for temporary and part-time librarians.
- NBL Instruction
Plans for Spring 2004 - Two NBL librarians will be on leave during the
spring 04 semester, which raises concerns about covering instruction needs
for Shaping a Life and English 201. This year we began using some information
services voucher funds to hire librarians to do instruction. LSM and Alex
promised $1000 each from their funds but can probably increase this. Olin
and Cassel will get data on instruction needs for SAL and English 201, and
Cassel will review how much voucher money has been spent for teaching in
the fall 2003 semester. They will report at the December meeting. We may
be able to hire more SCILS students (or recent graduates) who have had some
- Proposal for
Enhanced Reference Service at Chang - Kesselman discussed his idea to
experiment with a "call button" on PCs at Chang, which would allow users
to signal a librarian from their computer. Another variation could be to
signal librarians at LSM if no one was available at Chang. The PC Team is
not able to handle this, so it would have to be forwarded to Systems. This
discussion was tabled; we will look into a variety of ways to market reference
service, such as signage and online research consultation forms. This could
be an agenda item for a future NBL faculty meeting.
Services Subcommittee - Members are Olin, Cassel, M. Sheehy, and G.
Smulewitz. They are looking at creating seamless information services and
the training issues involved. One possibility is an online tutorial. Olin
and Cassel will bring up the issue of statistics reporting at the next meeting.
- Public Services
Council (Wilson) - Received printout from study of use of scholarly
information environment (how students look for information). If anyone wants
to see, contact her. MyRutgers was demonstrated at the October PSC. Ann
Montanaro was asked to work with RUCS to see whether myRutgers can truly
work as a single portal which will eliminate the current authentication
process using the proxy server in order to access the library's proprietary
databases. This has NOT been determined yet. To look at current myRutgers
go to http://my.rutgers.edu . There is a draft RFP to hire a consultant
to review library communication with the university community. November
PSC meeting is at Camden; Wilson will attend via teleconferencing due to
(Olin) - Working on staffing the reference desk next semester.
- LSM (Piermatti)
- Began weeding project (with Access/Collection Services) for book collection
on second floor and also Special Collections room. Goal is to finish by
- NBL Reference
Collection/Generalist Team (Mulcahy) - Will use money saved from cancellation
of some print reference titles to purchase some badly needed electronic
resources, such as LLBA.
- Wilson - The amount
awarded from the 2002-2003 ACIC funding was $16,800 to upgrade the PCs in
the SCC Data Center (not received yet).
Meeting adjourned. Next
meeting Dec. 11.
Penny B. Page, Sec'y du jour