New Brunswick Library Faculty, September 20, 2002

Present: Stephanie Bartz, Kayo Denda, Howard Dess, Mary Fetzer, Mary Fraser, Brian Hancock, Sara Harrington, Helen Hoffman, Ron Jantz, Marty Kesselman, Triveni Kuchi, Linda Langschied, Jackie Mardikian, Kevin Mulcahy (Chair), Jim Niessen (recorder), Patricia Libutti, Mei Ling Lo, Laura Mullen, Pat Piermatti, Francoise Puniello, Jane Sloan, Eileen Stec, Thelma Tate, Farideh Tehrani, Ryoko Toyama, Lourdes Vazquez, Karen Wenk, Connie Wu


1. The minutes of the previous meeting, Friday, June 21, were approved unanimously.


2. Announcements: Kevin Mulcahy

Mulcahy welcomed Mei Ling Lo and Laura Mullen as new or returning members of the NBLF.

It was reported that new reference desk computers have arrived. Stephanie Bartz reports that she hopes they will be installed within the next two weeks.

Jim Niessen is beginning his tenure as the second representative to the New Brunswick Faculty Council, succeeding Joe Consoli who completed his term. The other representative, Jeris Cassel, continues as representative. Niessen invites library faculty to contact him and Cassell with their concerns regarding the NBFC. Each meeting of the NBLF will include an opportunity for the discussion of NBFC activities.

Cinthia Levy Is now at the Music Library, and will be joining the NBLF beginning October 1.


3. Directors' Reports: Toyama and Puniello

Ryoko Toyama thanked librarians for submission of their annual reports, which she pronounced excellent. As collected in the notebooks that are deposited at the various NBL reference desks, the reports are slightly abbreviated by the elimination of goals statements and repetitive matter.

Toyama reported that she is working on a written agreement with the University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey (UMDNJ). At present there is a 25-year-old verbal agreement. This has led to confusion, which Access Services in particular would like to address. A working group is charged with formulating the agreement, which is not based on an assumption that the Rutgers-UMDNJ merger will take place. Working on the agreement from RUL are: Marianne Gaunt (Chair), Sam Soong, Jeanne Boyle and Toyama. In order to clarify NBL front line operations, Toyama is consulting with Farideh Tehrani (Access), Gracemary Smulewitz (Collection Services), and Jackie Mardikian (Collection Development). It is expected that as a result of the agreement 3.6 positions and some money will be provided by UMDNJIncreasingly the need for a written agreement is the fact that UMDNJ has three access policies, while RUL has one.

Francoise Puniello met with Joanne Jackson to talk about Rutgers facilities and the future of libraries. There was talk about a possible extension to the Annex or some such facility, as well as the needs of the sciences. Puniello raised the possibility of an entirely new library building that would consolidate the existing science libraries. If this happened, then the current LSM could perhaps be used for Special Collections, thereby freeing up space in the Alexander Library. Jackson was excited about the idea of a new science library.

D21 construction at the Douglass Library is still scheduled to commence in March 2003. A coordination and implementation meeting will take place soon, with major plans for moving at Douglass scheduled for January 2003.

The Annex is still delayed. The carpet has arrived, but safety conditions and the shelving are still unsatisfactory. The Art Library Space Planning Committee is meeting. Puniello, Sara Harrington, and Tehrani traveled to some other libraries for ideas.


4. Proposed bylaw change: Mulcahy

The Chair proposed a motion for the following amendment to the bylaws, with bracketed added language: Meetings are scheduled once a month[, except in July and August. ] Additional meetings may be called as needed. There was general agreement that, having been proposed at the last meeting, this change could now be voted upon. The change was moved, seconded, and approved unanimously.


5. Requests for Digital Projects Support-Application Process: Langschied

Linda Langschied spoke about support for digital projects by the Scholarly Communication Center. She handed out a draft, Individual Requests for Digital Services: Decision Tree and a draft, New Brunswick Librarians: Requests for Digital Development Services. Recent changes are inspiring the new procedures: a reduction in staff at the SCC, and a change in its mission.
1. Because of the temporary conversion of funds made available by a professional staff vacancy, the Scholarly Communication Center had a lot of student staff that it does not have in the new school year. Overall, the funding for staff is now one-fourth of last year.
2. The SCC has done a lot of experimentation in the four years of its existence. Now, it is necessary to start putting resources into larger, institutional goals.
3. Grace Agnew is now AUL for Digital Library Systems, and the SCC needs to be involved with broader, system-wide issues. Our digital architecture is shaky. We need to revisit fundamental issues like equipment, backup, security, etc. From a digital perspective, the SCC has relied upon proprietary systems, and needs to move to an open-source environment. For instance, we need to move from Cold Fusion to Open Source software. In short, the SCC's resources are being redirected to core concerns about digital library structure.
Thus the SCC can no longer say yes to every proposed project, so a decision tree is needed. Langschied consulted with Myoung Chung Wilson and Toyama to come up with the decision tree. Toyama will commit money to projects that are approved on the basis of their support for the institutional goals of RUL. In order to make well-informed judgments, the committee will consult as needed with knowledgeable individuals. If the judgment is no, the SCC will not undertake a project.

This process is only applicable to small, individual requests for assistance, not larger projects, particularly those that will need external funding. There is already a process in place for those requests, and several system-wide committees and working groups are currently developing criteria for projects.

Marty Kesselman raised two points:
1. Would the decision tree be necessary every time libraries wish to make use of the services of the SCC? Langschied: not for minor, routine tasks.
2. The mission of the SCC appears to be focused on support for publishing, but not public services initiatives. For instance, the Douglass Multimedia Lab supports Flash and instructional initiatives.

Langschied noted that in addition the SCC is currently developing a preservation lab. It will be purchasing a $60,000 camera for analog (microfilm) preservation. The Allison Road Computing Center has digital scanning equipment and support that is in some respects better than ours. So the SCC will continue to direct scanning requests elsewhere.
The Allison Road facility provides its media services free of charge to NB faculty.

Langschied noted that the decision tree is for projects from committees and from the RUL administration as well as individuals, hence the title of the draft decision tree should be changed accordingly. Responding to Dess, she stated the SCC will not publish formal criteria for the approval of projects; the criteria will be RUL goals as generally understood. If librarians do the all necessary programming for a project and only hosting is required, the SCC will be inclined to undertake this. However, such projects, not having undergone a review process, will probably be hosted "virtually" - without the imprimatur of the Rutgers University Libraries. Old projects, initiated earlier, will be grandfathered and not submitted now to the decision tree process.

Toyama pointed out that the SCC has been staffed with lines taken from elsewhere, not with new lines. In addition to supporting librarian projects, the SCC has been drafted to work with RUL administration to develop online survey and management tools. Occasionally there is some urgency attached to these requests.

The SCC should not be teaching and training in IT skills. The mission of RUL, not generating income should be SCC's rationale. See the annual reports of Langschied and Jantz for more information on the variety of tasks the SCC has taken on.

Langschied concluded that there will be plenty of opportunities for people to get engaged in larger projects. Cost-sharing on big grant projects may free up money for other projects. The SCC is worried about becoming the "second systems department" but it appropriate, given the skill sets within SCC and the institutional priorities for the next iteration of the DLI, that the SCC play a major role and provide considerable support for system-wide initiatives in digital library development.


6. Guest policy for NBLF meetings: Mulcahy

Questions have been raised about inviting interns or non-NBLF librarians to regularly attend our meetings. It is suggested that we have a policy of inviting visitors at appropriate times, but not inviting people to attend regularly who aren't faculty, because we are a faculty body.

The attendance of interns is more appropriate, because they are learning. Langschied stated she would welcome the regular exchange of new ideas with outsiders, sees no downside to their attendance.

Toyama stated she preferred a compromise, whereby outsiders are invited as needed and as required by the agenda item. It should remain a faculty body. Kesselman pointed out that there are enough operational groups that non-faculty can attend. RUL/SCILS Diversity Interns are regularly invited to attend, but it is in their third year that their participation is most appropriate.

A motion was made: Guests may be invited to the NBLF Meeting as appropriate, and interns on a one-time basis for educational purposes. The motion was seconded, and approved with one vote in opposition.


7. Draft NBLF Organizational Chart Review: Mulcahy

The Chair invited groups whose leaders' terms of office are not identified to determine what those terms will be. Reference Team leaders may or may not have a one-year elected term. The PC Coordinators Team should be called the PC Coordination Team, and it is a subgroup of the Information Services Group. Mulcahy will consult with the ISSG as to whether the Associate Members (non-faculty members of the ISG including
the PC Coordinators) ought to have their names appear on the organizational chart.

Jane Sloan stated she believes Media Services should be part of ISG, as a part of the faculty organization, and accept faculty guidance. Kesselman agreed, stating that Media Services should regard the NBLF as a good forum for getting faculty direction. Penny Page, as branch libraries representative on ISSG, also represents Media Services. Kesselman also pointed out that NBCG and ISSG are open meetings.

There was consensus that the draft organizational chart needs no drastic revision, but that any corrections should be sent to Mulcahy.


8. NBLF Goals for 2002-2003

Marty Kesselman raised the idea that, in considering recruitment goals for this year, we emphasize the importance of being flexible with regard to location. Buildings are not so important. Jackie Mardikian suggested that we are doing this already, and Linda Langschied agreed. Kesselman: we need to examine the assumption that everyone should be able to do everything. People have difficulty focusing if they are over-extended. Mary Fetzer pointed out that Toyama does send out draft position descriptions for purposes of discussion.

The Chair promised to send out goals ideas for revision and discussion.


9. Old Business: There was none.

10. Adjournment: Moved, seconded, unanimously approved


Respectfully Submitted,
Jim Niessen, le secretaire du jour