New Brunswick Libraries Faculty
Alexander Library Pane Room
March 28, 2003 - 9:30 a.m.
Attendees: Ellen Calhoun, Jeris Cassel, Joe Consoli, Kayo Denda, Mary Fetzer,
Rebecca Gardner, Tom Glynn,Brian Hancock, Helen Hoffman, Ron Jantz, Marty Kesselman,
Triveni Kuchi, Linda Langschied, Patricia Libutti, Mei Ling Lo (recorder), Jackie
Mardikian, Kevin Mulcahy (Chair), Laura Bowering Mullen, Leslie Murtha, Ferris
Olin, Penny Page, Pat Piermatti, Francoise Puniello, Jane Sloan, Farideh Tehrani,
Ryoko Toyama, Lourdes Vazquez, Karen Wenk, Myoung C. Wilson, Connie Wu
- Approval of Minutes from February 28, 2003 (sent as email attachment on
- Directors' Reports - R. Toyama & F. Puniello
F. Puniello: Regarding the D21 project, the top floor was emptied. Demolition
will start at the second week of April.
R. Toyama thanked everybody for supporting her lifespan and career plan.
She attended the Association for East Asian Cataloging Conference to celebrate
the 20th anniversary of CJK thesaurus project which she worked on. The CJK
thesaurus is now a reality and is being carried on by a younger generation
- Director's plans for her last two months at RUL, comments on the transition,
questions and answers - R. Toyama
- R. Toyama is working on the following areas.
- Budget - Working with Nancy Hendrickson, Toyama will contact the
head of each academic dept and collect the money which belongs to
- Files - Working with the administrative team, Toyama keeps all the
necessary forms and basic agreements.
- Personnel - The NBL is in search for music and performing arts librarian.
Two jobs including one line for Collection Management/Preservation
Librarian and one line which was converted to SCC/Systems IT position
are on the pipeline as first priorities. Currently, there is no opening
for the staff lines.
- Access and collection services are being merged to better facilitate
the function of preservation.
- Regarding the grant proposals, R. Toyama will do her best to sign off.
- R. Toyama will schedule meetings with 16 non-tenured librarians in the
next few weeks.
- Librarians' annual reports should be done in a timely manner.
- K. Mulcahy: The Music Librarian Search Committee will schedule two interviews.
Details are to be announced. The tenured faculty are going to meet in
May to elect an ah hoc chair for personnel issues.
- L. Langschied: She thanked librarians who reviewed the grant proposals
from State Wide Digitalization Task Force. The project "New Jersey
Digital Highway" deals with changing faces of NJ immigrant experiences.
SCC will also partner with the teachers who are developing digital NJ.
SCC is currently fully staffed. For minor details of daily operation,
please contact Isaiah directly. Also, librarians should use project request
forms available on SCC web page for requesting support for projects.
- J. Consoli: There will be a series of events about the Italian Americans.
John Giannotti's Conversazioni will take place on April 4 at 6 pm.
- L. Murtha: Instructor workshop is filling very fast. Please register
- Open Discussion of transition (an opportunity to discuss the director's
position, organizational models, and other pertinent issues prior to April
11 meeting with Marianne Gaunt) -K. Mulcahy
At 10:15 am, F. Puniello and R. Toyama were excused for the rest of the meeting.
K. Mulcahy reported that the chairs of NB steering groups and a few other
dept heads met with Marianne with an emphasis that the NB library faculty
will support the transition and want to get involved in the discussion.
M. Gaunt is considering a national search, which may include using a search
The discussion was then open to the floor. Some librarians listed the essential
credentials for the candidate. For example, the director should be someone
with good administrative skills, whom we can talk to directly and who know
technology. The person should also be familiar with tenure process and know
how to work with librarians who have faculty status. The person should be
strongly committed to education and our multi-faceted roles in the university.
L. Langschied gave the group a brief presentation on a proposed new model
of the RUL administrative structure. There was a spirited discussion on
the model and the role of the NB library faculty in the structure.
The group has decided to have an ad hoc committee to come up with more
concrete suggestions before NB library faculty meet with M. Gaunt on April
11. The members of the ad hoc committee are M. Kesselman, R. Jantz, J. Sloan,
T. Kuchi, K. Denda and J. Consoli. K. Wenk will set up a discussion board
for the group to continue our dialog about the issue. Details of the discussion
board will be sent to the group.
All the faculty are encouraged to participate in the discussion and voice
Meeting adjourned at 11:35 am.
Respectfully submitted, Mei Ling Lo 4/2/03