Minutes for September 6, 2013 Meeting
- (in order of sign-in) Womack, R; Denda, K; Hartman, K; Charles, L; Mulcahy, K; Bartz, S; Fetzer, M; Gardner, R; Jusino, M; Gasparotto, M; Just, M; Niessen, J; Sauceda, J; Lotts, M; Deodato, J;Springs, G; Sloan, J; Glynn, T; Yang, T; Wu, C; Mullen, LB; Moscinski, J; Palumbo, L; Gardner, J; Kuchi, T (recorder).
- Approval of Agenda
- Chair called the combined meeting of NBLF, NBISG and NBCG to order, welcomed everyone to the new academic year and shared preliminaries of time-keeping for this combined meeting. Agenda was approved.
- In Chair's Report Niessen welcomed all the new librarians: Laura Palumbo, Leslin Charles, Jonathan Sauceda, Julie Moscinski (SMLR) and Manuel Jusino (RUL/SCI Diversity intern). House-keeping issues about the functional groups NBISG and NBCG were discussed. Options to choose different physical location for the combined meeting including teleconferencing were pointed out. Some desktop meeting options are also being investigated as options for future meetings.
- AUL Report
- Undergraduate Experience librarian search update: good progress has been made by the search committee and candidates are slated to come in for interviews on September 26, October 1 and Oct 3. Please save the dates for attending presentations by candidates. Details will be shared on email.
- Refworks has been renewed and updated. With the new updates that include capacity to use cloud based storage for full-text of articles/documents, etc., training maybe required.
- Douglass' Fordham lab and Fordham Commons update. This space will now be available for faculty to teach classes and is listed in the University classrooms scheduler. More details will be shared via email.
- It was acknowledged that individual annual reports in the changed format were an improvement and the RIS annual report would be more specifically discussed with Marianne Gaunt.
- Update on Chemistry Library
Laura Palumbo provided an update regarding the Chemistry Library closure. A small "closing" party with faculty to share their ideas and concerns was very useful. Collections will be moved to the Annex. Book Delivery is still available. Reference collection will be brought into LSM. Laura Mullen presented some ideas about the weeding process of Reference collections at LSM especially to expedite the process of removal.
- Vacation Policy: Melissa Just reiterated the faculty vacation policy.
- Travel Report and Travel Form Proposal
- Connie Wu reported that based on those faculty that responded regarding their travel plans for the year; budget allocated to the untenured faculty is $1400 and to the tenured is $700. With this strategy those coming in later in the year will get less based on what remains in the budget.
- ALA Bundle plan is possible. Look out for more information on email.
- An e-form for travel application has been created. Charlene Houser presented a copy of the form for approval to the faculty. The form will be available on sakai site. Clarifications were made and the form was voted on and approved.
- Connie Wu mentioned that the travel fund will be revisited at the end of the year to check about allocations and status of amount used and available.
- Net ID for Reserves is in the works and will be implemented through the course roster.
- Health Sciences: Delivery to the Smith Library is moving along. They are able to download articles and scan articles as needed. These statistics are close to the numbers of LSM.
- ILL requests have increased.
- Reference hours corrections were requested
- Undergraduate Experience librarian candidates are coming in on Sept 26, Oct 1 and Oct 3rd.
- Ryan Womack will send out an email regarding an Advanced
- Research Cyberinfrastructure (ACI) Town hall.
- Search for Dana Library Director is on. Melissa Just is the chair of the search committee.
- Jim Niessen is the chair of the Digital Humanities Librarian search committee.
- Art Library Book Sale was announced by Megan Lotts.
- It was mentioned that Announcements be left until the end of all three meetings.
New Brunswick Information Services Group (NBISG)
- (in order of sign-in) Womack, R; Denda, K; Hartman, K; Charles, L; Mulcahy, K; Bartz, S; Fetzer, M; Gardner, R; Jusino, M; Gasparotto, M; Just, M; Niessen, J; Sauceda, J; Lotts, M; Deodato, J;Springs, G; Sloan, J; Glynn, T; Yang, T; Wu, C; Mullen, LB; Moscinski, J; Palumbo, L; Gardner, J;Kuchi, T (recorder).
- Reactions to Chair's Electronic Report:
Chair shared his report via email. Concerns about issues related to that report were brought up. Particularly issues of probably high underreporting of off-desk statistics was brought up. A request was made to share "a system" that worked well for inputting such statistics on a regular basis. Especially it was requested that a reminder to enter statistics closer to due dates would help.Librarians agreed that their off-desk statistics are underreported because of the lack of having a convenient scheme of entering, time to fit in several hours into schedules to sort out email, in-person and telephone. The broader issue of capturing the work of liaisons (which involves numerous off-desk types of questions) was brought up as an important issue to be discussed at a future point. Given the READ scale implementation possibilities, and other options, it was suggested that this issue needs to be discussed further at a future meeting. NBISG chair offered to send reminders at a minimum for entering off-desk statistics.
- Proposed Activities for 2013-2014
Tom sent out information in his email report. He will bring together 2 goals for Reference and Instruction activities with outcomes. He will send out an email with further wording and details for NBISG activities.
- Webscale Discovery Trial
Joseph Deodato provided an update on the selection of a webscale discovery service for RUL. Four vendors responded to Libraries' RFP back in March. The evaluation team has been testing the products for the last month. The evaluation team is expected to select a product on September 12th. It will then present its findings to a joint meeting of LRC and USC on September 19th before giving a final report to Cabinet on September 24th.
New Brunswick Collection Development Group (NBCG)
- (in order of sign-in) Womack, R; Denda, K; Hartman, K; Charles, L; Mulcahy, K; Bartz, S; Fetzer, M; Gardner, R; Jusino, M; Gasparotto, M; Just, M; Niessen, J; Sauceda, J; Lotts, M; Deodato, J; Springs, G; Sloan, J; Glynn, T; Yang, T; Wu, C; Mullen, LB; Moscinski, J; Palumbo, L; Gardner, J; Kuchi, T (recorder).
- Proposed Activities for 2013-2014
Kevin Mulcahy opened the meeting by asking if members would like to suggest goals for 2013-14. He shared some suggestions of objectives for 2013-2014 in the 2012-2013 NBCG Annual report. He mentioned he would like more discussion on them to refine and finalize them for the October NBCG meeting. Members are welcome to propose additional objectives (ideally with outcomes and indicators).
The objectives as noted in the Annual Report were mentioned and a summary shared via email:
Because of time constraints, Chair did not give a report. However, he shared via email that the next major activity would be the allocation of non-state money down to the individual fund and selector level, as soon as it is released to us by the Rutgers Foundation. The budget report is posted on NBCG Sakai site, but not yet too informative due to the lack of new income from non-state funds.
- Continue Objective 2 from 2012-2013, integrating data on circulation, journal and database usage, and citations studies into a comprehensive picture of collections use and needs.
- Continue Objective 3 from 2012-2013. Focus on inviting participation from new Health Sciences librarians and developing means for integrating our cultures and collecting practices.
- Continue Objective 5 from 2012-2013, with goal of submitting specific proposal and supporting data to AUL and LRC.
- One new objective is to: Explore methods for expediting allocation of non-state funds and reviewing current fund structure (in collaboration with AUL and Budget Officer)
- Update on Open Access Policy Implementation
Laura Mullen presented an update to the group on the implementation of Open Access policy. She mentioned that liaison librarians have several options to share this information with their departments. Jane and Laura would be happy to go with the liaison to do departmental presentations on open access and/or the policy, or to consult with any liaison before they do their own presentations. We want to make sure everyone has access to information and materials. Also, implementation planning is underway, and the policy will go into effect after this time period (date of implementation to be announced). Liaisons can consult Laura/Jane, or look at all the information put together by them, especially the 2 page fact sheet. Laura mentioned that Jane and she would be happy accompany any liaison for their departmental presentations on open access and/or the policy, or they will consult with any of the liaisons before they do their own presentations. They would like to ensure that everyone has access to information and materials. The fact sheet is meant to be printed double-sided and used as a convenient one page handout to be given out to anyone who wants a quick overview. All of the open access policy information can also be found right from the front page of the Libraries website under "Information for Researchers."
The fact sheet can also be found directly at:
Also, implementation planning is underway, and the policy will go into effect after this time period (date of implementation to be announced). Those who have any questions about the open access policy or its implementation should contact Laura Mullen and Jane Otto
Co-Chairs of the Open Access Policy Implementation Working Group (RULAC)
- NBCG part of the meeting was concluded. Comments about the combined form of meeting for NBLF/NBISG/NBCG should be sent to Jim: firstname.lastname@example.org.