STAFF RESOURCES

Minutes for October 4, 2013 Meeting

Present:
(in order of sign-in) Womack, R; Springs, G; Gasparotto, M; Yang, T; Glynn, T; Mardikian J; Kesselman, M; Niessen, J; Just, M; Denda, K; Hartman, K; Izbicki, T; Mulcahy, K; Bartz, S; Nathanson, J; Jusino, M; Fetzer, M; Charles, L; Sloan, J; Moscinski, J; Gardner, R; Lo, M (recorder)

NBLF meeting

Chair: Jim Niessen

1. Approval of the agenda and minutes

Minutes were approved with minor changes. The word "Pané" was replaced by "Pane" without the accent mark.

Niessen proposed that the announcement section be moved to the end of the NBLF section as a larger number of attendees would be present during that time. Agenda was approved.

2. Chair Report

Niessen reported that there were concerns about not having enough time for discussion in the "combined meeting". Glynn proposed having break-off groups or ad hoc groups to discuss particular issues. Most members agreed to try the model of "combined meeting" for a few more months.

3. AUL Report

4. Discussion item-J. Gardner's position

Just presented a draft of the position profile for "Head of Access and Delivery Services". The group offered the following suggestions:

Just will make changes and continue the discussion via email. The final draft would be discussed further at Planning and Coordinating Committee.

5. Discussion item-Faculty Lines

There would be a discussion of faculty lines at the November meeting of Planning and Coordinating Committee.

The group recommended the following lines:

1. Librarian with Distance Learning responsibilities:
Rationale: Due to the changes of demographics of our student population, we are getting more non-traditional students. There is a need to address the needs of "invisible students".

2. Librarian with GIS responsibilities:
Rationale: Most of our CIC peers have librarians who specialize in GIS. There are needs in arts and humanities and in social sciences for using GIS software.

3. Librarian with Bioinformatics responsibilities:
Rationale: There are needs for organizing and analyzing biological data. Do our health sciences colleagues have the skills of Bioinformatics?

4. Librarian with languages responsibilities:
Rationale: There is increasing enrollment of languages programs at Rutgers. Can we support such a position by partnering with other CIC institutions? At present it is more focused on subject collaboration.

Niessen emphasized that the discussion on faculty lines was an opportunity to assess our needs and the best way to address them when lines were vacated by retirements and resignations. We were not likely to get new lines to cover these areas. We might have to mix and match librarians' duties and redistribute responsibilities as opportunities arise.

6. Announcement

Kesselman reported his meeting of University Strategic Planning. Kesselman will send out an email and ask for someone to attend the second meeting on his behalf.

Yang announced that there would be a Taiwan lecture on Chinese studies and the opening of a related exhibition at Rutgers on Oct. 18 at Alexander Library. All were welcome to attend.

NBCG meeting

1. Proposed Activities

Mulcahy led a discussion on the goals of NBCG for 2013-2014. Goal #4 could be shared with NBL. Mulcahy suggested having a meeting to review the data and usage pattern of our collection.
Under Goal #1 (Develop assessment measures for collections…), " ILL statistics" would be added under "indicators".

2. Chair's Report (See Appendix I)

Mulcahy reported that distributing the non-state fund would begin. An announcement about special H funds will be sent out soon. Phonothon funds had been reduced, but they were less encumbered this time. Izbicki added that the state support will be flat and would not be enough to cover inflation. The Phonothon funds are down by $20,000. Rutgers will continue to work on integration and negotiate with the publishers.

NBISG meeting

1. Chair's report (See Appendix II)

Glynn reminded the group that while most of us were not involved directly with the instruction for transfer students, we should keep abreast of what's happening there, but it's a large and important part of our instruction program. Also, he encouraged us to invite our SCI students to sit in the classes we teach.

2. Proposed Activities

Glynn led a discussion on proposed activities of NBISG for 2013-2014.

Meeting adjourned: 11:30 am

Appendix I: NBCG chair's report

From : Kevin Mulcahy <mulcahy@rulmail.rutgers.edu>
Subject : chair's report
To : nbcg <nbcg@sakai.rutgers.edu>
Thu, Oct 03, 2013 10:21 AM

Dear Colleagues,

Here is a brief report, in order to save time for discussion at tomorrow's meeting.

1. Budget.

I've just posted the latest snapshot of our budget and expenditures in Sakai. You'll see that we've gotten some additional state and non-state money since September. The additional state money reflects the adjustments that go on much of the year, and the additional non-state money reflects the beginning of the process of distributing money to individual funds/selectors. A number of funds (those restricted to a specific discipline and controlled by a single selector) have already been posted in Workflows and are available for expenditure (the affected selectors have been notified). The remaining distributions are beginning now, and we hope to get money out as soon as possible.

Tom Izbicki reports that both the "H" funds (Humanities endowment) and the Phonathon funds are down from last year. This is mitigated to some extent by a lower encumbrance against the Phonathon funds, so the actual impact will not be as bad as it would seem at first glance. More detail will follow as more money is released by the Foundation and is ready to be allocated.

2. Draft Objectives/Activities

These have also just been posted in Sakai (for those of you who might not have the previously distributed version at hand). Please review them before the meeting, if at all possible. To this point, I've gotten comments from a single colleague, so either few have had the chance to read them or we are in substantial agreement already.

3. One of the proposed activities for the year is developing and using assessment measures--collections data of various kinds--to determine how effectively we are spending what money we have and how adequate, or inadequate, that money is. Gracemary and DTS have already been doing a great deal of work in this area, and we might consider either dedicating a major chunk of one of our joint meetings to this topic, or holding a special NBCG meeting to focus on it. Going on as we are is not a good option. We need either to find ways to reallocate limited resources or (as I think more likely) be able to make a persuasive argument, strongly supported by relevant data, that our budget is inadequate to the university's strategic plan, mission, etc.

Appendix II: NBISG: Chair's report

From : Tom Glynn <glynn@rci.rutgers.edu>
Subject : NBISG: Chair's report
To : nbisg <nbisg@sakai.rutgers.edu>
Thu, Oct 03, 2013 01:13 PM

Dear All,

My report is relatively brief. Please feel free to comment or ask questions, either at the combined meeting tomorrow or to me individually.

The first item is not of earthshaking importance, but I thought it would be helpful to share with other libraries something we've tried at Alex. Please see the attached image that was recently posted on the RUL Facebook page. These tripart, six-sided signs are an efficient way to post information about your library or RUL services and resources generally. At Alex, for example, we have on tables in our reference room and elsewhere, info about the Scarlet Latte, Libguides, chat and email reference, etc. If you're interested, ask your local admin assistant to order some.

Below see a brief update from Jill Nathanson on some important changes we've made in instruction for transfer students. This is a part of our instruction program that most of us aren't involved in directly, but it addresses the needs of a large part of our undergraduate population. Please send Jill any suggestions you have for the scavenger hunt. And I second Jill's request to encourage our SCI students to sit in the classes we teach. Here's her report:

"We continue to provide a library session to incoming transfer students in the School of Arts & Sciences. This fall we have 50 sections. This program is taught primarily by SC&I students, and this semester I have 8 students teaching in the program. 7 of the 8 students were recruited from our RA/IA group, and there is at least one student from each of our four major libraries. We started using library school students last year and we have received very positive feedback from the program about using students to instruct students. The student instructors are all doing great and are excited about instruction. All librarians involved in instruction are encouraged to invite these students and any other RA/IAs to observe classes they teach. Observation provides additional training and experience for our students, and we hope to move some of these students up to teaching in the English writing program.

We are also planning on assessing how we are doing with the transfer students. Transfer students are required to attend a certain number of programs during the semester at which they get a "passport stamp." We have always sponsored a passport event, but they have been related to registering or learning Refworks. We are still offering Refworks, but this semester we are sponsoring an online scavenger hunt to be held at Kilmer Library on October 30, 6-7pm (specifically when chat is closed). Students will be given a number of things they can only find using a computing device (computer, tablet, smartphone), but the items might be found on the Web or in the Libraries. The questions will vary and while some might be just for fun (e.g., who was the 17th president, who is Robert Barchi), many questions will assess their ability to find services and resources only available through the library. We are hoping this event will be fun for the students and provide us with assessment information. Students will receive their passport stamp upon completion, but we are keeping their names separate from the results, so there is no issue about our collecting this information. We are currently looking for suggestions for the scavenger hunt."

Appendix III: NBISG Activities, 2013-14

Strategic Plan Objective 2c: Facilitate the search and discovery of library collections by providing tools that are accessible, easy to use, and user centered:

1) Activity: Play an active role in configuring and implementing the new webscale discovery service
Outcome: Webscale improves access to the Libraries' resources
Indicators: Discussions at the local level inform the work of the Webscale Discovery Service Evaluation Team and other groups

Strategic Plan Objective 2d: Revamp research provision points and modalities to deliver timely research/reference assistance to users.
Strategic Plan Objective 2g: Rethink instruction practices and models

2) Activity: Critically examine our current practices for collecting statistics for reference and instruction and make changes as needed; work with groups at the RUL level that are addressing this issue
Outcome: We collect statistics in an efficient, purposeful way and use them to improve research and instructional services
Indicators: Everyone and every service point collect statistics in a simple, uniform, comprehensive manner; the statistics are analyzed in a critical fashion to improve services

Strategic Plan Objective 2g: Rethink instruction practices and models

3) Activity: Assess the effectiveness of "flipping the classroom" for the Research in the Disciplines classes
Outcome: Better understanding of this pedagogical method and its pros and cons; possibly changes in the way that we are "flipping"
Indicators: Pre and posttests in selected classes or across Research in the Disciplines. Analysis of sources cited in students' papers before and after the change. A survey of and/or feedback from administrators in the Writing Program. Usage statistics for the 201 LibGuide.

Strategic Plan Objective 5a: Develop and enhance strategic roles for the Libraries in 21st-century higher education:

4) Activity: Collaborate, engage with our new Health Sciences colleagues
Outcome: NBISG and Health Sciences librarians are kept apprised of developments in public services in each other's units and work together whenever possible to improve research and instructional services in New Brunswick
Indicators: Channels of communication are established, both in person and online, formal and informal



 
URL: http://www.libraries.rutgers.edu/rul/staff/nbl/nblf/minutes/nblfaculty_minutes_2013_10-04.shtml
Website Feedback  |  Privacy Policy

© Copyright 1997-2013, Rutgers University Libraries   (Further Copyright Information)