STAFF RESOURCES

Minutes for November 1, 2013 Meeting

Present:
Bartz, S; Charles, L; Denda, K; Gardner, R; Gasparotto, G; Glynn, T; Hartman, K; Izbicki, T; Jusino, M; Just, M; Kuchi, T; Mardikian J (recorder); Mulcahy, K; Mullen, L; Nathanson, J; Niessen, J (chair); Palumbo, L; Sloan, J; Stec, E; Wu, C; Yang, T; Zverevich, V.

NBLF meeting

1) Approval of the agenda and minutes

Minutes of the October meeting were approved with one change. Minutes should say: "Tom Izbicki said the Phonothon funds are down by $20,000".

2) Introductions

M. Just referred back to her e-mail and introduced Victor Zverevich a visiting Fulbright Scholar who will be with us for the next six months. Victor comes to us from the Moscow City Library Center, which is the unit of the Moscow city government dealing with public libraries, where he is Head, Department for Research & Development. Victor's research project while he is here is "Virtual Space and the US Academic and Public Libraries: Structure, Operation, Services." He will be studying and learning about virtual services here at Rutgers and at other local libraries. There will be a welcome reception for him later. His family will be joining him shortly.

3) Chair's Report

J. Niessen urged the minute takers to submit minutes within a week of the combined NBLF, NBISG, NBCG meeting to Glynn, Hartman, Just, Mulcahy, and Niessen. After a brief discussion about voting for the minutes, it was decided that when the vetted version of the minutes were distributed, members would be given 3 business days to comment and then one week to approve the minutes. Once the minutes are approved and posted on the NBLF Sakai site, Jim will distribute them to RUL everyone and Sam McDonald will post the minutes on the NBLF section of the RUL faculty home page.

4) Report on ARL Leadership Fellowship (Melissa J, 10 minutes)

M. Just explained the 18 month ARL leadership program she has been selected to attend. A maximum of 25 leaders are selected each year. This program is run by ARL library directors. Five host institutions (two from Canadian academic libraries this year) are mentors of the program. There was a kick-off meeting in Washington DC, followed by three week institutes, optional CNI and OCLC site visits and attendance at ARL meetings. An intensive review conducted by the Center for Creative Leadership of the leadership abilities of each of the attendees will help identify areas for development.

5) Revised APP for Access Services Librarian (Melissa J, 5 minutes)

M. Just referred back to the revised job description. In order to give the incoming candidate an opportunity for research and tenure, Access Services may see some restructuring so that the day-today functions of the department are handled by another manager. NBLF approved the APP to be forwarded to PlanCo for approval.

6) Draft APP for Business Librarian position (Melissa J, 30 minutes)

M. Just distributed the job description from 2008. Gene Springs is the liaison to the Business School, and took on additional responsibility working with SCI. He will be leaving us at the end of the year. Connecting with faculty was difficult because of the structure of the business schools being scattered across the university and also because most of the teachers he interacts with are PTLs. M. Just believes he found his experience working with SCI more likely to result in robust connections with tenured teaching faculty. The Business School based on the Livingston Campus concentrates on the undergraduates. Would a team based-approach working with the other Business librarians in the system be sufficient? Would an Undergraduate Experience Librarian with emphasis on business be a good idea? [M. Just later discussed this at greater depth with Gene Springs and learned that most of his work is actually with graduate students rather than undergrads, although the majority of students in enrolled in business courses are undergrads.] It was agreed that the specialized knowledge of a NB Business librarian is needed due to the heavy load of reference and instruction for this undergraduate population. Many of us are interested in working with LIS. We may be able to take turns working on an LIS team. How will we be able to attract and retain new candidates? Should we be doing something different? Could this position be called Social Science Librarian and continue focusing on specific departments within the business school? After a lengthy discussion, members recommended that M. Just meet with faculty in the business school and all business librarians including Gene and come up with a new proposal of how to handle this position.

7) Update on Chemistry Library (Laura P, Melissa J, Tom I 5 minutes)

Because of the mold issue, the collection cannot be moved. An analysis of the collection identified duplicates that were discarded. Unique titles will be sent out for remediation, and then moved to the annex or LSM.

8) Announcements

T. Izbicki announced that the Special Collections job search for a New Jersey bibliographer is moving forward.

T. Glynn voiced concern about the "400 Bad Error" message we have been encountering in SearchLight.

J. Niessen noted that interviews for the Digital Humanities Librarian position are being scheduled.

K. Mulcahy announced that the Metadata Librarian job search is moving forward, and interviews will be scheduled shortly.

M. Just announced that R. Womack and J. Mardikian will be going on a six month sabbatical in January. T. Glynn, K. Denda and L. Charles will be going on short research leaves in the spring semester.

L. Mullen reminded us of the upcoming RUL faculty meeting and the State of the Libraries.

NBISG Meeting

Chair's Report (10 minutes)

T. Glynn updated us on the activities of NBISG.

  1. Relating to annual activity #4: collaborate, engage with our new health sciences colleagues. Collaboration with health sciences has begun. M. Fetzer has organized tours for RWJ librarians to visit libraries in New Brunswick in December. A similar calendar for library tours may be planned for librarians at the Smith Library in Newark.
  2. Relating to annual activity #2: critically examine our current practices for collecting statistics. Natalie Borisovets will be setting up a meeting of the READ Scale Task Force to discuss implementing READ. This will change how we keep statistics. We should hold of any work on this activity until the task force makes more progress T. Glynn will discuss with K. O'Rourke installing Gimlet at RWJ Library of the Health Sciences.
  3. Relating to annual activity #1: play an active role in configuring and implementing webscale discovery. There was some concern expressed that webscale discovery might happen at a higher level rather than at NBISG. We will have to be alert and proactive to make certain that our concerns and opinions are regarded as RUL moves forward on this.

Annual Activity #3: Assessment of "Flipping the Classroom" (Tom G; 20 minutes)

We discussed ways of assessing the success of this new model of teaching English 201. A small task force was appointed to follow a two prong approach in order to primarily assess student success/outcome and secondly to measure the impact on the situation in terms of personnel and scalability. Initially, members of the task force are Glynn, Charles, and Stec. Others may join later. Just will play a consultative role.

NBCG Meeting

Non-state allocations (Kevin M; 5 minutes)

K. Mulcahy reported that non-state allocations are in progress, and should be complete within the next week to ten days. The allocations are slightly lower this year. K. Mulcahy will post the allocation spreadsheet on Sakai.

Budget report (Tom I; 5 minutes)

T. Izbicki gave an overview of the budget. Because the state budget is volatile, salary savings will not be going to Collections this year. As we work with vendors and negotiate new contracts due to integration, we are tracking costs of health sciences collections.

T. Izbicki is sitting on money we will use when trying out for PALCI patron driven acquisition until they have a firm agreement with their chosen publishers.

LRC will be reviewing databases, including review of overlapping titles by the science and health science groups.

K. Mulcahy reminded us that the quasi-endowment used to fund our approval plan will exhaust its capital by the end of the academic year, with no substitute source of funding yet identified. He argued that we need to provide data (circulation studies, citations studies) showing the significant impact of no approval plan on our collections and the faculty and students who use them especially in the Humanities and Social Sciences. There was strong concern about the need to apprise Cabinet of the situation's urgency. Kevin promised to share the methodology he uses analyzing citations in English Department electronic dissertations and faculty books.

Statistical reports on database use (Gracemary; 20 minutes)

This agenda item was tabled to a future meeting.



 
URL: http://www.libraries.rutgers.edu/rul/staff/nbl/nblf/minutes/nblfaculty_minutes_2013_11-02.shtml
Website Feedback  |  Privacy Policy

© Copyright 1997-2013, Rutgers University Libraries   (Further Copyright Information)