Minutes for February 7, 2014 Meeting
- Joseph Deodato, Mary Fetzer, Tom Glynn, Rebecca Gardner, Karen Hartman, Manuel Jusino, Melissa Just, Triveni Kuchi, Mei-Ling Lo, Megan Lotts (recorder), Laura Mullen, Kevin Mulcahy, Jill Nathanson, Jim Niessen, Laura Palumbo, Jonathan Sauceda, Lily Todorinova, Natalie Wadley, Connie Wu
Chair's Report (Jim Niessen)
- Call to order by chair Jim Niessen.
- Introduction of new colleague Lily Todorinova as well as introductions of RUL Faculty present.
AUL Report (Melissa Just)
- Melissa Just reported on state legislation in the Senate, No. 582, on the topic of the New Jersey Big Data Alliance. Rutgers is behind this legislation and Marianne Gaunt has been a part of the discussion and the hope is that Rutgers Universities Libraries (RUL) will take part.
- The Scarlet Latte will be getting two microwaves. They will be cleaned once a day in the morning by custodial staff.
Strategic Plan (Melissa Just)
- Two sessions were planned for a Research Instructional Services (RIS) discussion for the Strategic Plan. The Monday session was cancelled due to weather issues and the closing of campus. If you have input on this topic, please contact Melissa Just or add to the Google Doc previously circulated by end of the day Friday February 11th.
Business Librarian APP (Melissa Just)
- There was a discussion of the updated Business Librarian application. This position will be based out of Kilmer Library. Melissa Just will make the suggested changes and re-circulate an updated version. Kevin Mulcahy moved to accept the position, a second was made. This document will be forwarded to PlanCo.
- Megan Lotts, noted there will be an opening reception in the Art Library for work done Jenny Burkhalter, 2nd year graduate student in Landscape Architecture.
Chair's Report (Tom Glynn)
- The flipping the classroom task force has had an initial meeting.
- The Undergraduate Experience team meeting was cancelled due to weather and will be meeting next week.
- In the future there will be a NBISG discussion of implementing Webscale discovery.
Libraries Presense in Sakai and Ecollege (Jill Nathanson)
- Jill Nathanson presented on the topic of Sakai, Pearson eCollege, Blackboard (used in Newark), Moodle (used by UMDNJ). Joseph Deodato, Jane Sloan, Mei Ling Lo, and Nathanson have presented to RU faculty on how to incorporate library tools into course management systems. You can visit the online learning page at http://onlinelearning.rutgers.edu/ to learn more. Jill Nathanson will also be participating in an online teaching certificate workshop in Spring 2014. Her focus will be on teaching faculty how to incorporate RUL into their course management software.
What We Should Record in Off Desk Statistics
- There was a discussion on what we should be recording in Gimlet. It was pointed out that some individuals are not recording off-desk stats. Not recording stats can be problematic when trying to demonstrate to administration that we need more support and or resources. It was decided that there is no longer a need to record directional question at all, and that it is necessary to record our off-desk stats, but not necessary to record the exact date/time of the question. Tom Glynn will continue to send out a monthly reminder to record reference statistics.
Update On The NBL and RUL Collection Budgets (Kevin Mulcahy)
- We have reached the time of year where is time to pick up the pace on book buying. Please have as many orders as possible in by the end of March to ensure that they are received and paid by the end of the fiscal year.
- Please visit the Sakai site to see the excel spreadsheets for NBCG: RUL State and Non-State funds by format and - NB State and Non-State funds by format.
- The contract with Ingram has been extended through 2014. Kevin projects that there might be sufficient money within the Van Wagoner fund to continue the approval plan through most of fiscal year 2014-2015.
- No news on HathiTrust yet. Once payment is made, RU faculty and students will be able to download PDFs of books as well as accessing them online, and Rutgers will be able to base preservation decisions, at least in part, on what is available in HathiTrust.
Current Weeding Project
- There was a follow up to discussion about the demonstration from Jamie Maguire & Rob Krack at the January meeting.
- Mary Fetzer briefly talked about weeding the non NJ State materials that are not cataloged. This involved forming a team, setting up guidelines. This project did not involve DTS.
- LSM library faculty voiced concern that titles can be sent to the Annex only when there are no other copies anywhere in RUL.
Vacancy on Networked Resources Generalist Team
Laura Palumbo has generously volunteered to fill this position.
The minutes from the January meeting will be circulated shortly and please let Kevin Mulcahy know of any errors. Jim Niessen moved to adjourn meeting, seconded by Melissa Just.
Minutes submitted by Megan Lotts