STAFF RESOURCES

Minutes for April 4, 2014 Meeting

Present:
Leslin Charles, Kayo Denda, Mary Fetzer, Rebecca Gardner, Francesca Giannetti, Tom Glynn, Karen Hartman, Helen Hoffman, Manuel Jusino, Triveni Kuchi, Melissa Just, Marty Kesselman, Mei Ling Lo, Megan Lotts, Kevin Mulcahy, Jill Nathanson (recorder) Jim Niessen, Laura Palumbo, Jon Sauceda, Jane Sloan, Lily Todorinova, Ryan Womack, Connie Wu, Tao Yang

NBLF meeting

Chair's Report (Jim Niessen)

Colleagues are reminded that the September, October, November, and February minutes are online. Feedback re: the new meeting format is still requested, and will be discussed in a meeting before the end of the year.

AUL Report (Melissa Just)

Office of Research and Economic Development - met to discuss library role in research engagement. Libraries will now be part of research facilitators group. They have a newsletter twice a month; libraries will write an article once a month. They have monthly meetings about research; May meeting will focus on libraries - open access, NIH, data, RUcore.

Campus facilities planning meeting - data gathering is complete, now compiling information, planning to release slides next week. Melissa and Lila are preparing to lead a library space planning project.

Will be adding posters/slides in libraries providing a theft alert as there have been 50 recent thefts.

RIS Reorganization - New Brunswick Faculty and Staff:

Current structure has been in place for 10+ years, RIS is a system wide function but there is no NB faculty and staff carve out. No succession planning or internal advancement, difficult to move out and up with flat structure. Shared decision making takes a long time. We need a shared identity around public services, clearly defined authority, accountability, and better communication. Should be consistent with the strategic plan. We need to define a shared identity with respect to public service, departmental units, organizational and functional structure, leadership team, plan for linking departmental and system-wide activities, clear understanding of faculty responsibility v operational responsibility, include staff as well as faculty. Move forward by convening a working group, inventory current and aspirational activities, review peer organizations, develop models, implement a new structure. Will ask for volunteers and expect transparency. Timeline: proposal in about six months.

Travel (Connie Wu)

About $2000 left. If no one else is applying, we can use it for prepayment or carry over for next year.

Announcements

Kayo - everyone is invited to Celebrating Creativity event at the Mabel Smith Douglass Library on Wednesday, April 16, 2014 from 3 - 5 p.m

Megan - Annual edible books event, April 21, Alexander atrium 10:30-12:30

Melissa - Victor, visiting Fulbright scholar is wrapping up, April 18, closing brown bag, Pane Room, noon-1

Connie - recently attended patent training. There is a new way of searching patents using a new classification system. Connie will offer a class if there is interest in New Brunswick.

NBISG

Chair's report (Tom Glynn)

Flipping the classroom task force has been meeting, will be reporting by end of academic year

Insight - will probably replace NetOp in classrooms, simpler and cheaper with no loss of functionality.

A colleague at one of the libraries has asked that we add videoconferencing as an off-desk format in Gimlet. Tom responded that, at least for now, each library is free to configure Gimlet in its own way. He thought adding videoconferencing was a good idea, since it highlights this format that is useful for off-desk consultations.

Writing Program - yesterday annual Writing Program Research Conference, libraries gave out an award

Library Use Policy (Tom Glynn)

This discussion was initiated by the USC. We need clear policies that are implemented system-wide, albeit with adjustment for special collections or other units with special needs. Tom will bring our comments back to USC. Food & Drink - policy not being enforced, clarify policy so it can be enforced, change wording to nothing smelly, messy, or noisy, as determined by community. Use "covered" instead of "spill proof" for beverages. Access Services would be primary place to report infractions, but all are expected to enforce the policy.

Guest Users- Need to update policy to make sure no one impacts others' appropriate use of the libraries. By updating policy, campus police can enforce it and notify users the policy has been updated. The focus should be on patterns of behavior, such as sleeping regularly in the library, rather than a single instance of an unacceptable activity. We should keep a paper trail and there should be an escalating response from the RU police. The final step would be a banning letter. Study areas midnight - 2am will be for students only; will start as soon as we can develop and implement a plan.

NBCG

Chair's report (Kevin Mulcahy)

Posted updated spreadsheets in Sakai, two showing year-to-date spending for New Brunswick and RUL as a whole, and a third showing spending on approval and monograph funds over the last decade. Expenditures on books, and the number of books acquired, have shrunk significantly over this period--this year will be by far the lowest in terms of expenditures and the number of books acquired. It is important to share this information with faculty so they understand our monetary constraints.

AUL Report (Tom Izbicki)

Continued difficulty with budget. The Rutgers Foundation reports that Phonathan fund raising is way down this year, which will mean less money to distribute in the next fiscal year. Tom will need to retain more funds centrally next year to be ready for shortages and other contingencies. At current rates, the Van Waggoner fund, which we use for almost all approval acquisitions, will run out some time before June 30, 2015. No replacement has yet been identified. We have hopes of some new endowments, but they will not be sufficient to replace Van Waggoner and Phonathon.

Kevin will draft a letter detailing the budget situation that selectors can use, if they like, as a model communicating with faculty and students who want to get involved in advocating for libraries.



 
URL: http://www.libraries.rutgers.edu/rul/staff/nbl/nblf/minutes/nblfaculty_minutes_2014_04_04.shtml
Website Feedback  |  Privacy Policy

© Copyright 1997-2013, Rutgers University Libraries   (Further Copyright Information)