Webmail Tools: Vacation Message on RCI
Setting Your E-Mail Vacation Message
Before going on vacation or other long absences from work, you should set up an automatic
vacation message in your e-mail. While this message is active, anyone sending you e-mail will
receive a reply with the message you designate. The vacation program remembers each address it
sends a reply to and sends them only one such reply within a 2-week period.
[NOTE: Every spam message you receive also generates a reply from the vacation program.
However, most spam is sent using a fake address, so a reply is likely either to go to someone
whose address has been used or to a completely fake address (which would be returned to you
with an error message).]
- Go to the following URL: https://webmail.rci.rutgers.edu. All mail tools are accessed through the SquirrelMail webmail program.
- Enter the user name (NetID) and password from your RCI e-mail account in the Name and Password login boxes, and then press login.
- Select the Webtools link at the top of the screen.
- Under Setup, click on the vacation message link.
- Select Setup vacation from the two options provided.
- The next screen that appears will display either a default vacation message or the last vacation message that you used. In the space provided, make changes and corrections to the text of the message, or delete it and rewrite it completely.
Consider including the dates when you will be away from the office, as well as information on who to contact should the message require immediate attention.
If the existing message contains the string "$SUBJECT" it is important to delete that string as it is an obsolete feature of the old vacation message system. The message will be sent exactly as you see it. $SUBJECT will not be replaced with the subject of the received e-mail as it was in the past.
You also have the option of changing the Subject line of your vacation message. The default option is "Away on vacation".
- When you are finished, simply click the Submit button. You will receive confirmation that your vacation message has been created.
- It is essential that you turn off the vacation message feature once you return to work. To do this, follow steps 1 through 4, above.
- Select Disable vacation. You will receive confirmation that your vacation message has been removed and disabled.