Webmail Tools: Vacation Message on Andromeda
Setting Your E-Mail Vacation Message
Before going on vacation or other long absences from work, it is suggested that you set up an automatic vacation message in your e-mail. While this message is active, anyone sending you e-mail will receive a reply with the message you designate.
- Go to Newark Computing Services: Web Mail: Write A Vacation Message http://www.ncs.rutgers.edu/tools.html.
- Select the Use "Vacation" To Send An Automated Response link at the bottom of the screen.
- Enter the user name (NetID) and password from your andromeda e-mail account in the Username and Password login boxes, and then press login.
- The next screen that appears will indicate the current status of the vacation message.
- Click on the Vacation On button to enable or activate the vacation message.
- The screen will also display either a default vacation message or the last vacation message that you used. In the space provided, make changes and corrections to the text of the message, or delete it and rewrite it completely.
Consider including the dates when you will be away from the office, as well as information on who to contact should the message require immediate attention.
If the existing message contains the string "$SUBJECT" it is important to delete that string as it is an obsolete feature of the old vacation message system. The message will be sent exactly as you see it. $SUBJECT will not be replaced with the subject of the received e-mail as it was in the past.
You also have the option of changing the Subject line of your vacation message. The default option is "Away on vacation".
- When you are finished, simply click the Save button. You will receive confirmation that your vacation message has been created.
- It is essential that you turn off the vacation message feature once you return to work. To do this, follow steps 1 through 4, above.
- Click on the Vacation Off button. You will receive confirmation that your vacation message has been removed and disabled.