Troubleshooting with Public Networked Printing: A Staff Guide
Public Networked Printing
Networked printing is available throughout Rutgers University Libraries for a fee. Print jobs are paid for using the card vending system. Software problems should be reported to your local PC coordinator and hardware (copier) problems should be called in to Imaging Services.
- If a patron does not receive a confirmation that their job has been received, (in the form of a green checkmark), then the workstation that the job was sent from might be disconnected from the network. That station should be rebooted and the patron will have to resubmit their job from a connected computer. The green light printer icon in the lower right corner of the screen indicates the network connection is enabled.
- If a patron sends a job that is blank or only contains a portion of what they wanted they should resend the job. Highlighting the text to be printed often helps. Also, if the text to be printed offers a printable format, (usually an option for online journal articles), then that link should be opened for printing purposes.
- If a web page is not optimized for printing the text can always be cut and pasted into Wordpad and printed from there. Wordpad is located in the Start Menu under Programs > Accessories.
- If the text of a web page does not fit in the print preview screen, then the landscape orientation should be set under the "properties" button. Patrons should always preview and check the page orientation before sending a print job.
- If the patron is printing a PDF file (Adobe Acrobat Reader), then they should use the print icon in the Adobe window to send their print job.
- If a card gets stuck in the card reader at the print release station click on "QUERY CARD". Call Imaging Services if this does not work.
- If a print job is sent to a jammed copier it will be saved in the copier's memory card and will print out after the jam is removed.
- If the copier screen reads "printer error" and the light for tray #1 is on, then the copier needs paper in tray #1. Tray 1 is the default tray for print jobs and should be filled at all times. If the tray is empty, patrons will be charged for print jobs that will not come out of the copier until the tray is refilled.