Minutes of June 20, 2006 Meeting
- A. Butman, B. Golon, N. Gonzaga, P. Johnson, K. McGuire and via teleconference S. Bartz, M. Belasco, J. Maxymuk, M. Medeiros, A. Ruggiero, C. Singh and D. Voorhees.
1. Systems Update
- The following libraries and system wide departments have had their virus protection software updated:
- Central Administration
- Imaging Services
- Special Collections
- User's looking for information on how to upgrade the software on their home computers
should be directed to the MSSG's website (http://mssg.rutgers.edu) or the OIT helpdesk
- OIT has been experiencing issues with their staff mail server the result of which is an
inability by the user to login to their email account. In the event that this should happen
again in the future users should be directed to webmail (http://webmail.rutgers.edu) or using a
Pine or SSH session for email in the interim.
- As seen in the minutes from Cabinet, approval for the purchase of 50 new machines was given.
The machines have been purchased and will be allocated based on those in most critical need of
- N. Gonzaga reported that he has not done any virus protection upgrades to the Novell servers.
He is monitoring lists for problem reports.
- Systems will be updating OCLC software in TAS and Special Collections in July.
2. Old/New Business
- Systems was made aware of an issue with the new article linker option in Ovid databases and
the Firefox browser. When chosen, the linker opens as a popup and, because pop ups are blocked
on Firefox, users will need to click on the "click this link to open the document link".
Patrons will need to be informed as to how to allow the popups. M. Medeiros suggested putting
urls for databases and indexes known to do this in FireFox's exception list.
- ****After meeting note: URLs can be added to exception list successfully. However, Systems
exceptions will only be added when new images are created (Spring and Fall). Systems will need
to know from whom they will get that information so that they can give them the deadline for
- **** In addition, it should be noted that this feature is on by default in Firefox so home
users will be affected. Also, home users running IE 6 sp2 on the XP os, will be confronted with
this as well. (The blocker is not an option offered on the version running on the public
machines currently therefore users are not affected however this will be an issue in the future
when the os is upgraded.)
- The move of the libraries server that houses the online catalog will be migrating to RUNet in
early July. The move will require downtime. Should users have trouble connecting to WorkFlows
after the move, they will need to check their client configuration to ensure they are pointing
to www.iris.rutgers.edu as opposed to an ip address.
- M. Belasco reported that, because of RLG merging with OCLC, IllManager Software will no
longer be supported by OCLC and therefore no longer used by RUL as of 09/07. In the interim ILS
will be looking for a new system to move to.
- D. Vorhees reported that funding for new micro machines throughout RUL has been approved.
3. Future Meeting Dates
- The next meetings are tentatively scheduled on July 18 and August 15 at 10AM in the TSB
- The necessity of a July meeting came into question. It was decided that the meeting would be
scheduled and, in the event that there was nothing to discuss it would be cancelled.
Coordinators should have their lists or recipients for new computers prepared by the August
meeting at the latest.
Reported by John Maxymuk