STAFF RESOURCES

Minutes of December 19, 2006 Meeting

Present:
K. Au, S. Bartz, A. Butman, B. Golon, N. Gonzaga, P. Johnson, J. Maxymuk, K. McGuire M. Medeiros, A. Ruggiero, R. Sandler and C. Singh.

Systems Update

New machine installations are rolling along. Ref Desk machines will have Power User access when they are replaced.

All micro machines in NB and Newark have been upgraded. Camden’s will be mailed to them by weeks end.

Kodak Imaging software, currently used by RRS staff, does not work with the XP operating system. Irfanview, a piece of freeware with the same capabilities, will replace this software.

Reports of problems viewing search results in FireFox have been reported. The issues stem from some online database and index vendors displaying search results in popup windows, which are blocked by default in the software’s setup. Systems will include the URLS of those they are aware of in the images created for the new semesters. Users will need to be aware that if a window is blocked, they will need to click on the alert at the top of the screen in order to view database information.

Public PCs will be reimaged in January see attached software list.

2. Grant-Funded Equipment Policy

Au will post a revised version of his draft to the list and ask for final corrections by Friday the 22nd of December so that John can forward the policy statement to Grace Agnew. In a related point, Anne will send updated Hardware and Software Support lists to Sam to post to the PCWG page.

3. Old/New Business

Nick will set up the new Novell password for PC Coordinators that was decided on at the meeting.

Nick will email RUL_Everyone regarding the upcoming required Novell password change on all machines – including those at reference and circulation desks and other service points.

Dates have not yet been worked out for the tech training series being worked on with Marilyn Wilt.

Nick will be revising the Videoconferencing End Points document from the Best Practices site. The main changes will be a longer naming convention for rooms and expanded contact information.

The group discussed the problem of PC Coordinators being asked to chase down people who do not show up for a scheduled teleconference at remote sites. It was agreed that the Bookroom email should include a message indicating that the equipment will be secured if no one shows up to use it within 10 minutes of the scheduled start time.

4. Future Meeting Dates

The next meetings are scheduled on Jan. 16, Feb. 20 and March 20 at 10AM in the TSB Conference Room.

Reported by John Maxymuk

Public Machine Image Software

Browsers:

Plugins:

Science Library Software:

Security Software:

Other Software:

Special Machine Software:



 
URL: http://www.libraries.rutgers.edu/rul/staff/systems/pcwg/minutes/pcwg_06-12-19.shtml
Website Feedback  |  Privacy Policy

© Copyright 1997-2013, Rutgers University Libraries   (Further Copyright Information)