Minutes of October 20, 2009 Meeting
- Joe Abraham, Stephanie Bartz, Mary Belasco, Anne Butman, Nick Gonzaga, James Hartstein, Pamela Johnson, John Maxymuk (recorder), Kevin McGuire, Andrew Ruggiero, Rich Sandler, Chris Singh
- John Gibson, James Hartstein, Ken Kuehl, Darryl Voorhees
- Ka-Neng Au, Ashwin Bijur, Steve Dalina
1. Systems Update
- Systems will soon finish Central Administration, the last group for new machine swaps. Once
that is done, only secondary swaps remain.
- Anne needs to hear of any changes to the public image for Spring 2010 by December 1.
- Anne spoke with Brian Luper from OIT this past month to discuss public printing from library pcs to
OIT printers, but has not heard back from him. She would like to implement this by fall 2010.
- We will renew PC Reservation for another year, but Systems is open to investigating other options
such as PC Cop or Blackboard's product for the future. Kevin asked about the ability to deal better
with additional classes of users such as alumni. Joe was interested in whether it would be possible to
use NET ID as an alternate login for PC Reservation machines when all student machines are busy
currently this cannot be done because there is no real encryption of user login info. Anne will check
with the vendor to see if there are any plans to encrypt data in future versions.
2. Calendar Project
Anne has ruled out Brown Bear because it is too cumbersome and work intensive. The group will be
testing Zimbra's open source product and another solution from Sun One. It was agreed that PCWG will
also extend an invitation to OIT to come and speak about their product and costs associated with use
for the November or December meeting.
3. Goals for the Group
Grace Agnew forwarded John her Action Plan for the group after the meeting and we will discuss that at
the next meeting.
4. Old/New Business
- Andrew and Rich discussed a desktop video conferencing option called Adobe Connect with which they
have been experimenting. It works within Sakai. Contact Andrew to see or try this product.
- Anne asked if the group was interested in setting up a PCWG Sakai site, but there was little
- We also discussed the possibility of a three-year replacement plan for public machines.
5. Next meeting
November 17, 10:00 a.m. -12:00p.m. (Recorder: K. Kuehl…K. McGuire…A. Ruggiero)