Minutes of December 15, 2009 Meeting
- Joe Abraham, Stephanie Bartz, Mary Belasco, Ashwin Bijur, Anne Butman, John Gibson, Nick Gonzaga, James Harstein, Kevin McGuire, Andrew Ruggiero(recorder), Rich Sandler, Chris Singh, Darryl Voorhees.
- Pam Johnson.
- Ka-Neng Au, Steve Dalina, Ken Kuehl
1. Systems Update
- Scheduled Reimaging of Public Computers
- A Desktop icon which links to an online survey will be the last addition to the new image before being deployed.
- OIT Printing
- 12 NetId-restricted computers at Alex are now able to print to the OIT lab printer.
- The OIT lab printer will be the default printer on the new image.
- A troubleshooting plan has been developed in case patrons are not able to print to the OIT printer.
- Anne and Ed will work on a solution to allow Windows 2000 machines to also print to the OIT lab printers since there is a significant amount of these machines still being used as NetID-restricted computers.
- Calendar Project
- Anne informed the group of a product she and the calendar testing group is investigating called 'NotifyLink'. This software enables syncing between the open source Zimbra client and PDAs. Other departments within RU have successfully deployed NotifyLink and will provide insight into our own testing.
- Laptop Lending
- The Art Library has been selected as the pilot site for the laptop lending program given the high use by students, combined with the small amount of public computers available.
- Anne sent out specs for a Dell Netbook that is being considered as a prime candidate for the laptop lending program.
- The group agreed that no extra portable media device will be necessary, such as a CD-ROM drive.
- Joe proposed that an off-line wireless coverage map be loaded on the machines to guide patrons to wireless access points
- A likely scenario for implementation would be after Spring break, or during the summer intersession, 2010.
- The initiative will likely be taken up at the Jan. 7th USC meeting.
- Gayle Stein from OIRT provided PCWG with 4 Adobe Connect accounts for testing through a Continuing Ed account.
- Nick and Rich presented their findings from a feature test session with Andrew and Chris in which they used the Adobe Connect stand alone client (outside Sakai). They concluded that in some situations Adobe Connect has features that offer RUL a videoconference alternative to the large audience video-conferencing equipment currently in use.
- The Group decided to further test the product by conducting the next PCWG meeting on Jan. 19th via Adobe Connect. Anne will provide PCWG members with a webcam / microphone as needed.
Year End Requests
- Darryl informed the group of his request for funding for 3 scanning stations in response to demand from RUL patrons.
- The price per scan has not been determined, but will be less than the $0.15 charge for photocopies.
- Joe created 1000 local PC Reservation accounts at ALEX for use by students in preparation for high computer usage during the exams period.
- Anne is checking into a site license for the Sibelius software, which is installed on 35 computers at Douglass within the instructional alcove and the Fordham Lab.