Minutes of July 19, 2011 Meeting
- J. Abraham (chair), S. Bartz, A. Bijur, A. Butman, J. Gibson, N. Gonzaga, J. Hartstein, P. Johnson, K. McGuire, J. Mulez, A. Ruggiero (recorder), R. Sandler, C. Singh, D. Voorhees
- K. Kuehl, J. Maxymuk
- K. Au
IIS Update (Anne Butman)
- The public PC images will be distributed to the networked drives for the UCSs to begin deployments by 8/1.
- 6 new machines for the LSM e-classroom have been imaged and shipped.
- The image for the new staff PCs has been sealed and the machines will be shipped in early August.
- The e-display units are almost ready for deployment, and will need DHCP set up.
- The charging cart for the 31 LSM instructional laptops is ready to be shipped. The laptops will utilize RUwireless and will be stationed in the SPCOL room.
- RUwireless upgrades for Douglass and Alexander are scheduled to be done before the beginning of the Fall semester.
- New drivers will be deployed to all staff workstations to enable printing on the new Ricoh networked printer/scanning machines that are managed by Imaging Services. UCSs will be informed on installation instructions via Anne within the week. Darryl confirmed that all the existing Canon imageRunner copier/scanners will be replaced by summer's end.
End of Year Reports
- TBackup subgroup (Nick)
The group decided to carry over the goal to the next FY
Nick shared news regarding a budget development that will enable the purchase of the software that will be used to implement the backup plan in the new FY.
- Zimbra implementation (Anne)
Anne addressed a question re: the progress of integrating bookroom scheduling data with the Zimbra calendar. There are still bugs that need to be worked out in the setup and breakdown times within bookroom being integrated within Zimbra correctly.
- Desktop Videoconferencing (Rich)
Rich suggested that implementing video reference and initiating training could be a future goal.
- Technical skills series (John)
John spoke on a plan to move all the instructional material to the 'drupalized' RUL site, but not before the main website is redesigned. Joe requested that John reach out to the next chair of the training and learning committee chair in the new FY.
- Lending laptop program (Kevin)
Joe will bring Kevin's prepared report to USC, with budget numbers from Anne, to finish this goal.
Membership review (Joe)
The membership of the PCWG was reviewed and confirmed with the exception of K. Au , K. Kuehl, J. Maxymuk. Joe Abraham will contact these three members to confirm membership.
Public workstation power management (Anne)
Anne proposed a new 'green' configuration for public workstations that would allow the public PCs to go into an energy saving sleep mode after a set amount of time, depending on their automated reboot settings. UCSs interested in participating in the test phase will email Anne the public PCs that will have the new settings after the reimaging is done in early August.
IT forms for new employees (Anne)
Anne proposed overhauling the process by which information is collected and distributed when a new hire joins RUL by means of a web form. Different departments would have different access to portions of the form depending on the nature of the information.
RUL Distribution Lists (Anne)
Anne requested that all PCWG reps send the listservs for which they are responsible to her with the following info:
-Description of list purpose and membership
FY2011 annual report preparation (Joe)
Joe asks that new revisions to the annual goal documents be made and sent to him by 7/25.
FY2012 goals (Joe)
Anne suggested one goal is the review of possible replacements for the PC Reservation software.
Andrew - Dglss is midway through a summer pilot of local meebo reference. The public PCs in the building now have their home page set to the Dglss library webpage, where from 12-2pm each day Sam McDonald has programmed meebo chat reference boxes of the 4 dglss librarians to appear.
Stephanie - Reminded the groups that she needs staff PC replacement info by this 7/22
John G. - Updated the group on furniture moves at Camden and a temporary instruction area he helped setup.
John M. -Reported the construction of 4 new data ports in SPCOL.
Joe - Reminded the group of his planned leave of absence and that Andrew has agreed to fill in as PCWG chair during his time out. Joe also reported the loss of A.C. at the ART library recently, and shared his personal recommendations regarding temp thresholds: at 85 F pc coordinators should shut down non-essential systems, and at 90F all systems should be shut down.
Next Meeting date: August 16th 2011