Minutes of August 16, 2011 Meeting
- Joe Abraham (chair), Stephanie Bartz, Ashwin Bijur, Pam Johnson, Kevin McGuire, Orla Mejia (guest), John Mulez, Andrew Ruggiero, Chris Singh (recorder), Darryl Voorhees
- Anne Butman, John Gibson, Nick Gonzaga, Rich Sandler, Ka Neng Au
- James Hartstein, Ken Kuehl, John Maxymuk
- Joe Abraham introduced guest Orla Mejia from the Interlibrary Loan Department
IIS Update (Anne Butman)
- Public images were completed and made available on August 2nd.
- Laptop Lending - Kilmer has 2 their 5 netbooks. ISS will ship the rest this week if they have not already.
- Alex images are being created this week and should ship by the end of next week.
- Lending policies will remain the same.
- New staff machine allocations will begin shipping to Unit Computing Specialists this week.
- LSM and Douglas VOIP cutover scheduled for August 19th. The (848) area code will be in effect for LSM and Douglas once this is done.
- New phone numbers will be posted online by Sam McDonald on the morning of August 19th.
- LSM and Douglas Employees will receive their new phone numbers from Anne Butman on August 16th.
- Known issues with the transition - Jane Sloan will be moving to a different office and Connie Wu will require a second number.
- LSM classroom podium will be installed 9/1/11 - 9/2/11 and image creation will begin within the next week.
- Departmental copier and public scanner email issues should now be resolved. Art and Douglas units that do not have connectivity will be connected by the end of this week.
- iMac machines are awaiting renewed Deep Freeze licenses.
- Dell GX755 public machines are off warranty.
Downtime and Outage Announcements (Joe Abraham)
- Thursday 8/18 Technical Services Building and Library Annex from 2am to 6am main circuit breaker is scheduled to be replaced. Priority systems will remain running on the UPS system during this time. Announcement will be made by IIS.
- Friday August 19th Alexander Library 1st floor is having an outage. Wired/Wireless network connectivity will not be available in this area. UCS's have been notified.
- Tuesday August 23rd from 8:30 AM to 12:30PM networking equipment will be upgraded on the 3rd floor. No wired/wireless connectivity will be available during this time.
Backup Subgroup (Nick Gonzaga)
- Backup Exec DLO software was received last week.
- The main backup program was upgraded from BE version 11D to 2010.
- DLO clients are being tested for local and remote push-install.
- DLO implementation will be done by the end of September.
Membership Review (Joe Abraham)
- Joe has not spoken to SMLR to see if they would like to opt out.
- Joe has not heard back from John Maxymuk regarding the Camden Library faculty representative.
- Joe Abraham's Family Leave will start on October 24th until December 16th and he will return to the on December 19th.
- Andrew Ruggiero will become Acting Chair during Joe's absence.
- Tom Glynn is arranging backup during Joe's absence.
- Joe will be present for the October PCWG meeting.
- FY11 Annual Report has been completed.
FY2011 Goals were reviewed by the group in order to determine which items were completed and which
items were not (over arching) and needed to be carried over into FY12. After some discussion, it
was determined that there would be a combination of three new goals and two carried over from
List of Goals for FY12:
- PC Reservation evaluation.
- Implementation of an IT entry form
- Evaluate video conferencing systems across the libraries.
- Technical Series Workshop (carry over).
- Automated backup software implementation (carry over).
Camden - John Gibson
- New OIT lab in building, including OIT staff.
- The new print release station has not been set up as yet.
- Multiple issues were encountered with the new Ricoh, sensors were replaced and the new Administrative copier is now functional.
- Drivers were available and installed the day the new equipment arrived.
- John's office has been relocated to room 210.
- The upstairs computers have been replaced with the newer Mac's running windows XP.
- The first floor (except for a handful of computers) is complete, when additional IP's are registered by Anne, this will be completed.
- The E-Classroom is in the process of being imaged, the old hardware was removed and the new one (Optiplex 755) installed.
- The imaging will occur this week and the classroom should be available before the fall.
- Video (VHS DVD display units are back and in place and should be wired by the end of this week.
- Construction of the main floor is mostly complete, in the process of tying up loose ends and the construction of the lower level including pouring the concrete will occur in the near future (exact date not given)
- The lower level had a minor flooding issue, from the recent downpours, but none of the computing equipment was impacted.
- John will be out until the 31st.
Alexander Library- Joe Abraham
- Joe found that the "Hold Print" function on the new Ricoh copiers can be used as an alternative to the previous Canon "Mailbox" feature.
Douglas Library- Andrew Ruggiero
- Except for the public Macs, the Douglass and Chang public PCs have been reimaged.
- Macs in The Fordham lab have been reimaged. The new image includes Adobe CS5 suite and iLife '11.
- The Douglass instructional alcove is in the process of moving from the ground floor to the ravine level (basement).
- Completion anticipated by September 1st, waiting for material services to move the furniture.
Imaging Services - Darryl Voorhees
- Installations of new equipment are being completed.
- Furniture for public scanner installations not arriving until August 31st.
- Public printer replacements are being distributed.
- Guest scans on new system will be 10 cents per page scan, 10 cents per printout and a combination of 20 cents for printouts when retaining digital copy of scan.
- RU affiliates will scan\print for free.
Dana Library - Chris Singh
- Department copiers have been replaced.
- Old copiers have been carted away.
- Public printer replacement scheduled for August 16th.
Kilmer Library - Kevin McGuire
- Plan to upgrade OIT labs postponed until January 2012.
Next Meeting: September 20th 2011