Minutes of March 20, 2012 Meeting
- Joe Abraham, Ashwin Bijur, Nick Gonzaga, Rich Sandler, Kevin McGuire, John Gibson (recorder), Darryl Voorhees, James Hartstein, Pam Johnson, Ken Kuehl, Rich Sandler
- Ka-Neng Au, Stephanie Bartz, John Maxymuk, John Mulez, Chris Singh, Andrew Ruggiero
Reports and follow-up
IIS Update (Ashwin Bijur)
- Computer swaps are almost complete in Central Administration; estimated completion is the end of April.
- OIT based printers are in the process of installation at Art.
- Auto attendant preparations for Alex migration is near completion.
Backup Subgroup (Nick Gonzaga)
- This group has completed its defined work and will no longer report to this group as an agenda item.
Technical Training Series (John Gibson)
- This group is awaiting a decision on the future direction from Cabinet. The TLC will present their request to cabinet by April 15. This group does not expect future directions on this topic until after April 15.
Video Conferencing (Rich Sandler)
- Continuing Education is evaluating software based desktop video conferencing endpoints. In particular, they are evaluating the need for continual support with Adobe Connect Pro. They are also looking to compare this software with other solutions such as Adobe Connect Now.
- The video conferencing team is currently discussing the direction RUL will take in purchasing new and future endpoints for the libraries. The group is leaning towards a unified endpoint scenario, but it is still in discussion. That group is also deciding on what accessories and items might be best for future purchases relating to video conferencing such as microphones and projectors.
- The group report will be drafted, presented, and delivered to Tibor for use in requesting purchases related to this type of equipment in the future.
RUWireless Support Procedures (Kevin McGuire)
- There has been increased frustration at library service desks regarding RUWireless support. Current procedure is to refer patrons to OIT, either by phone (732-445-HELP) or email (email@example.com). Patrons have complained that OIT support is ineffective and/or slow. Library services such as the lending laptop program and LSM laptop classroom are at times affected, and library staff has little power to address the problems in a timely fashion.
- Joe will contact Tom Glynn and Ed Smith to determine the proper support level expected by RUL members concerning wireless, as well as possible changes to the support procedure. PCWG will wait for IIS to select a permanent computer manager to replace Anne Butman to assign a new point of contact with OIT RUWireless support requests.
Ken: Will request minor feature changes to BookRoom to help him better arrange and prepare video
Joe: Half of all new computer swaps at Alexander are completed.
Darryl: Kilmer will soon have their Scan Stations all setup when a data port is installed by OIT. He
is also working on testing new software that will allow expanded features at all scan stations at
Rutgers and possibly to add a scan to lab printing option at locations. This update might occur over
the summer and be expanded into the fall.
Kevin: Kilmer has finished the creation of a computer lab that can seat 60 people with 45 computer
terminals. Kilmer has purchased three new netbooks and five new laptops (used for greater
performance) for lending soon.
Pam: Now supports 15-20 minutes per class in setting up wireless on laptops. Joe is going to send
along a support a document to Pam that she can instead offer as a handout to patrons.
Rich: There are now two endpoints at Kilmer and the information about those devices will be
forthcoming. On another note, a new clipping service is also available to teaching faculty that will
allow up to a 10% segment of original material collected, following existing copyright laws and be
used in instructional classrooms as an educational tool. Rich also stated that two new projectors
were setup at his location.
Ashwin: The phones in IIS will migrate to the 848 exchange starting April 2. Old phone numbers with
the prefix 732 will no longer reach them at that time.
John: Robeson will be having the Camden County Library open its doors in the basement of the Paul
Robeson Library in April. The new area will include a computer lab area open to the public, which
may also decrease the public computing needs of the Robeson computers. John also mentioned that
there has been an update to the digital door signs at Robeson. The new signs are capable of remote
update using a GUI interface that is editable by the director and includes theme selections.
Next meeting: April 17th, 10:00 a.m.