Technical Training Series (John Gibson)
- John is collaborating with Marilyn Wilt if additional training sessions will be scheduled.
- Joe will check with Tracey Meyer for additional Zimbra training schedules. The goal is to provide at least one Basic/Intermediate session in Newark, Camden and in New Brunswick for new employees and to those who want a refresher class. Target date for this will be in summer.
Video Conferencing (Rich Sandler)
- Rich said -While it is not absolutely essential for all RUL videoconference units to be of the same brand, it would increase connection reliability and the consistency of the controls would make it easier for everyone to learn to use it. Anne B. has made the case to make Lifesize the RUL brand. Rich will send in a comparison chart of the three top brands- Polycom, Cisco/Tandberg and Lifesize/Logitec.
- Peter Mattalione from Continuing Ed and the Rutgers Instructional Technology Research Group are evaluating the numerous desktop videoconference software as a replacement to the costly Adobe Connect 8 (Pro) - desktop web conferencing software. .
- There are still licenses available for Elluminate which is similar to Connect 8 and preferred by some librarians since they can schedule conferences on their own.
- The RUL videoconference team will draft a report outlining the need to upgrade the RUL video-conference units. The report will also state the need to upgrade specific videoconference rooms.
RUWireless Support Procedures (Joe Abraham)
- Joe mentioned the RU Wireless Reporting Form that this will be used to report wireless connectivity issues; this form will notify OIT and IIS of the location and number of occurrences of the problems; this can be found at http://www4.libraries.rutgers.edu/wireless_issues
- Kevin suggested to keep this reporting form in a bookmark in the Ref/Circ desks for easier access when problems occur.
Business (Joe Abraham)
- Joe will be away for next month's meeting so the group was asked either to select an acting chair or postpone the meeting. General consensus was to postpone the meeting for a later date due to Commencement events at this time.
- Nominations for the PCWG Chair will also be in the agenda for next meeting.
- Nick asked the UCS to maintain a uniform swap procedure to keep track of old and swap files for later deletion to free up some storage space. All files to be saved will be named 'Swap' folder and will be saved in the S drives of the user or the pccoord's R drive.
Joe: Collecting ports info for VOIP; transition at Alex starting on the week of 4/25, cut-off date will be 6/29.
Art will get one new netbook to replace the missing one; this will bring it to a total of 5 netbooks for the loan
Chris: There will be 3 switch upgrades in May at Dana. He will send more info on which floors will be affected.
Chris and Elsa Alves have completed two training sessions as co-instructors on Word and Excel.
Au: Inquired about the PCReserv upgrade status. He added that users could still get around the reservation system
and one possible solution was for an upgrade. Suggestions were made from a warning letter to a complete ban of the
user. Joe will contact Tibor for the upgrade status.
Kevin: Reported PCRes connectivity issue, Ref desk could not use or create new accounts after 7pm; Kevin will
forward ticket # and details to Joe. For the last two weeks, he started getting RUL Monitoring alerts that PCRes
is down. Nick explained that this is coming from IIS monitoring server that send alerts either by e-mail or phone.
Kevin will contact Ed Smith for more info about it.
Rich: Reported that some presentations delivered in the TLH and the Pane rm are being videotaped and edited for
RUCore and into DVDs to be added to our collection.
John Gibson: Robeson will be renovating upper floor and classrooms. John also mentioned that a powerpoint template
was added for easier program changes for the kiosk display.
Next meeting: TBD