You are here
Founded in 1766: Celebrating the Archives of the Medical Society of New Jersey
through Monday, December 31, 2018
George F. Smith Library
Founded in 1766: Celebrating the Archives of the Medical Society of New Jersey is on display at George F. Smith Library now through the end of 2018.
In 2016, Rutgers University was not the only major New Jersey institution celebrating its 250th anniversary. On July 23, 1766, at Duff’s Tavern in New Brunswick, a group of physicians met and formed the Medical Society of New Jersey (MSNJ). Today, the MSNJ is not just America’s oldest state medical society, but also the oldest professional society in the country.
The MSNJ recently donated its 20th- and early 21st-century records to Smith Library’s Special Collections in the History of Medicine. The donation consists of 52 archival boxes of records and 85 volumes of MSNJ Board of Trustees minutes from 1931 to 2005. These valuable historical records will be preserved and made available to MSNJ administrators, members, and officers; Rutgers University students and faculty; historians of medicine; and local and family historians.
Special Collections already holds a nearly complete run of MSNJ journal publications from 1848 to 2005, as well as substantial archival holdings of its constituent Bergen, Burlington, Essex, Hudson, Monmouth, Passaic, and Warren County Medical Societies, and the records of the Medical Society of New Jersey Alliance (formerly the Women’s Auxiliary).
An exhibit of materials from this accession was curated by special collections librarian Bob Vietrogoski with the help of library specialist Nancy Blankenhorn, medical student Stephanie Yuen, and Tim Corlis, head of preservation for Special Collections and University Archives. On display are a selection of artifacts related to the 200th and 250th anniversaries of the MSNJ; Board of Trustees minutes discussing physicians joining the military during World War II, plans for a New Jersey medical school in 1952, the introduction of the polio vaccine in 1955, and the discouragement of smoking in hospitals in 1967; photographs from two issues of New Jersey Medicine on the history of New Jersey's pioneering women physicians; and meeting posters from the Essex County Medical Society from 1954 to 1979 concerning the perpetual topic of "New Legislation Affecting the Medical Profession."
The exhibit opening last month was attended by MSNJ administrators including its past, present, and future presidents; members of the Medical History Society of New Jersey; Rutgers New Jersey Medical School faculty and students; and Rutgers librarians. At the reception, MSNJ President Christopher Gribbin presented special collections librarian Bob Vietrogoski with a plaque commemorating the MSNJ archival donation. This donation brings together Rutgers and the MSNJ, two New Jersey institutions founded in 1766.