Rutgers, HathiTrust Partnership Adds Emergency Online Access to over 1.2 Million Volumes
The Rutgers community now has online access to more than 1.2 million volumes previously only available in print through HathiTrust’s Emergency Temporary Access Service. In response to the current public health crisis, HathiTrust is providing member libraries with temporary access to digital versions of print titles that would otherwise be inaccessible due to library closures. This figure represents approximately 45% of the Libraries’ print collection, and is in addition to the more than 6 million public domain and Creative Commons-licensed works already accessible through HathiTrust.
Terms of service
- “Temporary Access” books require NetID login and can only be accessed by Rutgers students, staff, and faculty.
- “Temporary Access” books can be read online only. Unlike “Full View” books in HathiTrust, they cannot be downloaded for offline reading.
- “Temporary Access” books can be checked out for one hour. The banner at the top of the browser informs you how long the book is checked out to you. Your access to the book will automatically renew as long as you are actively reading it.
- If the book you want is currently checked out, a message will display letting you know that the title is in use. Check back later to see if the book has been returned. Unfortunately, it is not possible to request or place a hold on a book. Because access is limited, users are encouraged to return books as soon as they are done using them.
- “Temporary Access” books will only be available online until access to the Libraries’ print collection is restored.
For more information, including instructions for accessing ETAS books on your mobile device, see https://www.hathitrust.org/ETAS-How-To
In recent weeks, the Libraries have dramatically expanded access to ebooks in response to the COVID-19 emergency. Over 20,000 additional titles have been added to the Libraries’ collection since March, bringing the total number of available ebooks to approximately 1.7 million.
HathiTrust is a non-profit partnership of academic and research institutions, offering online access to millions of titles digitized from libraries around the world. For more information, visit www.hathitrust.org.