Rutgers Restricted Access
African-American Newspapers is a fulltext database of the following newspapers published by and for African-Americans:
- Christian Recorder (Philadelphia: 1861-1902 [excluding 1892])
- Colored American (New York: 1837-1841)
- Douglass' Monthly (Rochester, NY: 1859-1863)
- Frederick Douglass' Paper (Rochester, NY: 1851-1855)
- Freedom's Journal (New York: 1827-1829)
- National Era (Washington, D.C.: 1847-1860)
- North Star (Rochester, NY: 1847-1851)
- Provincial Freeman (Chatham, Ontario): 1854-1857)
- Weekly Advocate (New York: 1837)
For help using these indexes see: How do I find an article on my topic?
Type of coverage
The fulltext of all articles, fiction, poetry, advertisements, etc.
Print counterpart or
Douglass' Monthly and National Era are available in Alexander and Camden Libraries. Frederick Douglass' Paper and North Star are available in another full-text database, Nineteenth Century U.S. Newspapers.
Vendor/electronic presentation provider