Rutgers Restricted Access
The Literature Resource Center (LRC) is a full-text electronic database that provides on-line access to biographies, bibliographies, and critical analysis of authors and their works from every age and literary discipline. Literature Resource Center covers more than 124,000 novelists, poets, essayists, journalists and other writers, with in-depth coverage of 2,000 of the most-studied authors. Searchable fields include: Author Name, Title, Genre, Literary Movement, and Literary Themes.
Comprehensive help is available through the Help Button on the left navigation bar from most screens of the Literature Resource Center.
For help using these indexes see: How do I find an article on my topic?
Date of coverage vary with the source of the material.
Varies according to source.
- Contemporary Authors Online, offering biographical coverage of more than 100,000 writers
- Contemporary Literary Criticism Select, featuring entries on all authors appearing in CLC since vol. 95 of the print series and complete profiles of 266 most studied authors from editions prior to vol. 95; and
- Dictionary of Literary Biography Online, containing more than 10,000 bio-critical essays on authors and their works written by academic scholars.
LRC also includes selected full-text, excerpted, and commissioned critical material from other Gale series, which include:
- Children's Literature Review
- Classical and Medieval Literature Criticism
- Drama Criticism
- Drama for Students
- Literature from 1400 to 1800
- Literature of Developing Nations for Students
- Literature and Its Times
- Nineteenth-Century Literature Criticism
- Novels for Students
- Poetry Criticism, Poetry for Students
- Shakespearean Criticism
- Shakespeare for Students
- Short Story Criticism
- Short Stories for Students
- Twayne's Author Series
- Merriam-Webster's Encyclopedia of Literature
In addition, users can access current, full-text critical essays on major authors via the Literature Resource Center's link to more than 260 prominent literary journals. Also includes links to nearly 5000 web sites focusing on major authors and their works.
Type of coverage
Full text articles, essays, and encyclopedia entries.
Print counterpart or
See the resources listed under "Sources."