Analog to Digital Reformatting
Do you need an audio cassette, personal VHS tape, or 16mm film digitized? Bring it to the Imaging Services office (lower level of Alexander Library) during office hours along with a completed request form [PDF] and payment (cash or personal check made out to Rutgers, the State University of New Jersey). In 5-7 business days, you can pick up the original and a new digital copy. We'll send you an email when it's ready.
Self-service audiovisual reformatting is also available at the Fordham Media Commons in Douglass Library. Contact the library for more information.
The fine print: By submitting an order to Imaging Services, you declare that all materials provided for conversion and/or duplication are not in violation of any copyright laws. The analog format materials submitted must be created by you, or you have the right to permit Rutgers University Libraries staff to perform duplication services, or you have the permission of the copyright owner to duplicate video materials and a written release form is provided. Digital reformatting is handled with great care by a qualified technician with many years of experience. However, Rutgers University Libraries are not liable for any damages or losses of any kind to the original tape or film you provide.
Fees for digitization
- Audio Cassette: $10 per cassette to digital file or CD (single copy)
- VHS Tape: $15 per tape to digital file or DVD (single copy)
- 16mm Film: $20 per reel reel to digital file or DVD (single copy)
Imaging Services uses a multi input CD/DVD duplicating computer and a specialized printer for printing directly onto discs. Because of copyright law, only material created by the requester is eligible for duplication. We reserve the right to determine whether or not the duplication request is permissible under copyright law.
Examples of acceptable uses of this service include:
- Students needing multiple copies of a CD for their presentations
- Faculty members needing to distribute copies of presentations at conferences
- Student organizations distributing copies of self made films of their events to members
- Film students needing multiple copies of self made movies for their professional portfolios
- Student musicians needing to distribute copies of self made recordings for a class project
Fees for duplication
- 1-25 discs: $2.50 each
- 1-25 discs: $2.50 each
- 26-50 discs: $13 + $2 per copy
- 51-75 discs: $38 + $1.50 per copy
- 76-100 discs: $75 + $1 per copy
- >100 discs: $175 + $.50 per copy