University Librarian's Cabinet: Minutes of the May 18, 2010 Meeting

Agnew, Boyle, Cvetkovic, Fetzer, Fredenburg, Fultz, Gaunt, Gardner, Sewell, Winston
Golden, Puniello
Nancy Kranich and Nancy Hendrickson

University Librarian's Report – Gaunt

While Golden is away, John Maxymuk will be in charge of the Robeson Library.

Gaunt attended the ARL Membership Meeting in Seattle at the end of April; also met with 30 members of the Seattle Rutgers Alumni Club; most were graduates in the last 10 years. They are very supportive of the university; asked about the reorganization of undergraduate education and access to information for alumni.

The theme for the ARL meeting was "Globalization of Higher Education and Research Libraries." Breakouts were based on the various areas in which ARL works. Gaunt attended the Public Policies meeting and the Diversity and Leadership Committee meeting, of which she is a member; attended a number of other sessions, including a session on reimagining collections in research libraries. Speakers noted that collections will focus on distinctive and unique collections in research libraries. They will align with funding and shifting priorities in universities. User communities will create their own strategies and tools for managing and disseminating information even as Libraries create other tools and strategies. We have to be attuned to our various user communities. There is much emphasis on global studies. Still need to think about foreign language materials; since we all can't acquire everything, how can we collaborate effectively in collection building. Also attended a session on universities with campuses abroad; directors form NYU and Pitt reported on the role of the library in a multi-country university. There was discussion of business models for digital preservation; HathiTrust is investigating business models to support preservation that is affordable and sustainable.

Cabinet held a retreat last week facilitated by DeEtta Jones; she administered the DiSC Classic personal profile system instrument. The purpose of the instrument is to identify behavior styles; understand personal strengths and ways to increase effectiveness; discover which work environments are most likely to suit your style; and learn how to work with other styles. A variety of areas were explored, but two concrete areas related to strengthening communication included designing a template for setting up committees, which provides consistency for new groups to understand their role and scope, accountability, reporting relationships, deliverables, and time frames. To assist Cabinet in staying abreast of activities in each other's areas, members will provide brief announcements of new activities or any significant news to include with each Cabinet agenda; members can then ask for fuller explanations at the meeting if they desire more information.

Gaunt met with the New Brunswick Library Faculty committee to discuss the status of the AUL for RIS position. Fetzer and Gardner have graciously agreed to continue in their interim roles through the next fiscal year during which we will post the position. Until there is more clarity concerning how we will deal with the upcoming budget reductions and the potential merger with the State Library and a UMDNJ merger in New Brunswick, it is better not to recruit someone with these important changes up in the air.

Data from the previous Cabinet discussion on core services is on the Sakai site for future discussion. Agnew and Boyle will look at further refining the document into two or three broad areas.

Gaunt, Boyle and Fredenburg are working on describing a new budget framework for the Libraries to discuss with Executive VP Furmanski.

Draft Policy of the Privacy Task Force – Boyle/Nancy Kranich

Kranich gave an overview of the Privacy Task Force and the Draft Rutgers University Libraries Privacy Policy. The task force is representative across the libraries and in areas that have involvement with personally identifiable information. As a model, the task force used the privacy policy that Kranich helped develop for ALA. The draft policy explains privacy and confidentiality rights, the steps the Libraries take to respect and protect privacy when using library resources, and how we deal with personally identifiable information that is collected. The library user rights outlined in the policy are based in part on the five "Fair Information Practice Principles," which outline the rights of Notice, Choice, Access, Security, and Enforcement. Security is heavily developed; key concerns are personally identifiable information and its relationship to information resources. There are many areas of privacy, which often overlap with how we secure personally identifiable information. The committee did audits of many areas within the Rutgers University Libraries that collect personally identifiable information. They looked at a matrix that was developed several years ago of all the areas that collect personally identifiable information, but the matrix needs updating; need to take a look at 3rd party information, cooperative agreements, and new kinds of services. Still need to look at our branches and get Newark and Camden involved. With Cabinet approval, the task force plans to have a panel discussion with staff in early June to talk about the draft privacy policy. Would like to have a privacy policy office; need to look carefully at procedures and training, and keep staff aware. Privacy should be incorporated in training. Would like to create a privacy tutorial and interact more with other university units. Cabinet approved the draft and the task force will move forward. Gaunt thanked Boyle, Kranich, and the task force for their work.

Update on Libraries Task Force on Diversity Recruitment Plan - Fredenburg

The task force has completed its work and prepared a draft report for review. Following the initial meeting with Gaunt where the charge was explained more in depth, the committee met four times and did a lot of work through email. They decided from the beginning that the goal had to be to enhance the diversity of faculty and staff, and to focus on recruitment methods and practices related to that goal. The task force looked at diversity language, position descriptions, placement of postings, search committee policies and procedures, and methods for increasing diversity. The task force will present the draft report to Gaunt. The report will also be shared with PPAAC before the document is made public. Some general recommendations are that postings should allow for translatable skills, search committees should be thoroughly trained, staff should have diversity training, and everyone should be held accountable for maintaining a diverse workforce. Hope to have the report on the next Cabinet agenda.

Budget Discussion – Gaunt

Hendrickson sent out to all the units the amount of their budget and the target reduction for their unit to meet the new total of the reduction for the Libraries over and above what we had already planned. Each unit is requested to put their reduction plan on the template Hendrickson distributed in priority order for reductions. Hendrickson also posted on Sakai and distributed a list of current position vacancies that can be considered for budget reduction targets. All other vacancies have been accounted for in our planning. When showing what is being cut on a position, use the budgeted, not the actual amount; would be helpful if you indicate account number and position number. We will compile a draft template that includes everyone's suggested reduction for review by Cabinet. Each unit should have their draft plan returned to Hendrickson by Friday, May 21 so we have time to review the total plan. We have until June 7 to submit our plan to Executive VP Furmanski.

Sewell has outlined a plan for the collections budget, cutting 568K additional on top of what we cut last year.

While 73% of our budget goes to salary for regular positions , 6% is below the line, and collections is 21%, we don't expect to keep to those proportions for the reductions, but we must weigh the impact of each decision against our ability to support student learning and faculty research.

There was some discussion of travel budgets, which will be leaner than usual. It was noted that there are different sources of travel funds as well as different needs—tenured and non- tenured allocations where faculty can chose to use their allocation on a personal basis; staff travel for training on systems where the Libraries determine that specific training is needed, or where knowledge of new systems is critical for the Libraries; travel between the campuses where it is important to attend in person; and system-wide travel where the AULs believe it is important to have someone represent RUL at a meeting, or where a program is important enough to have an RUL representative gather information for the library system. Each Cabinet member has their own non-restricted and state funds that they can chose to use for travel if this is a priority for them. Central non-state, non-restricted funds support system-wide travel on a needs basis and not on a specific allocation basis. As many organizations are now doing webinars, we may reconsider how much actual travel is critical. We will assess how much was spent this year and determine an allocation for next fiscal year.

Once we have all our plans for review, we can consider what level of rearranging may be needed in some areas where we no longer have vacant lines. We can discuss changes on a case by case basis. If you have any questions about your reduction scenarios, please check with Hendrickson or Fredenburg.


Boyle: The VALE Assessment Fair will be held at the Busch Campus Center on May 25 at 9:30. We have 25 exhibitors, including several from Rutgers. Please encourage everyone to attend.

Boyle has been asked to speak about Counting Opinions at the User Services Council; hope Cabinet members have shared the results with their staff.

Agnew: Open-ETD software is now available. It had 18 downloads in its first day.

Website Feedback  |  Privacy Policy
© Copyright 1997-, Rutgers University Libraries