University Librarian's Cabinet: Minutes of the September 9, 2014 Meeting

Agnew, Askew, Boyle, Cohn, Fredenburg, Fultz, Gaunt, Glynn, Golden (VC), Izbicki, Just

University Librarian’s Report - Gaunt

Executive VP Edwards sent out the draft New Brunswick Strategic Plan; based on the routing, it appears that it only went to New Brunswick people; Gaunt shared it to Cabinet members who are not a part of the New Brunswick campus. Edwards is seeking input on changes, but the response period is short. Under the Diversity and Culture theme the Libraries Committee on Universal Inclusion’s initiative to collect the published articles on diversity- and inclusion-related research published by Rutgers faculty and create a thematic, searchable portal in RUcore for access to the materials was selected as a strategic plan initiative. Gaunt encouraged Cabinet to review the draft and provide feedback.

University Senate will meet on Friday, September 19; a report from President Barchi is a regular agenda item so we are likely to hear his annual priorities or other important announcements. New charges to Senate committees will also be made available.

VALID/OLE had a steering committee meeting yesterday. We spent time following up on the RFP for a single consultant to help us develop a business plan for VALID. The RFP that we created was cancelled, and we subsequently decided that we might seek several sub-consultancies. After some discussion, we realized that the organizational structure, operations, and finances were really an internal decision, but we would benefit from a knowledgeable outside perspective in our deliberations. As a result, we identified a possible consultant who could conduct a one-day workshop with key stakeholders in VALID and who would facilitate our discussions on a preferred organizational structure taking into account the appropriate relationships between NJEdge, VALE, VALID and KUALI. The invitees would include the alpha directors, their CIOS, and VOSC members. At the end of the workshop, the facilitator would take the results of our discussion and write a report on the organizational structure, operations, and financial model for VALID. Before that workshop takes place, we determined that another consultant familiar with open source library systems would do a separate one-day workshop on how we might use the OLE software to transform how we do our work and deliver more effective services to our users. This would help us realize the kind of staffing necessary for OLE and the structural collaborations among VALID libraries necessary to carry out the transformations. The results of this workshop would inform our discussions with the organizational/operational consultant. VOSC will try to engage both consultants to come before the end of this calendar year. We have just learned that one of our members has withdrawn as a beta participant from the VALID project.

Academic Analytics – Boyle/Wolff

Christine Wolff gave a presentation on Academic Analytics, which is a business intelligence tool that uses faculty scholarly productivity data (journal articles, books, conference proceedings, awards, etc.), to analyze and rank productivity of individual faculty members, programs, departments, colleges, and universities. Productivity data is weighed by the discipline for various formats, so that those disciplines where monographs are more prestigious, where conference proceedings are the norm, and where article citations are important, for example, these factors are taken into account. She reviewed the data that Academic Analytics uses and the sources of data. She also showed charts comparing faculty members, publications, programs, departments, fields and universities. Boyle noted that the important thing about Academic Analytics is that it is the software chosen by the university; if we have an opportunity to use it, it will be recognized by the university. Wolff asked Cabinet which data would be most useful for decision making, and what kinds of reports would be most useful. There was question concerning whether faculty from campuses beyond New Brunswick were included, and Wolff will confirm whether the data is only for New Brunswick, other campuses, and RBHS. We would like to see productivity in fields were monographs are important, and nursing data. Wolff has already done reports for each of the departments, and she will share this with selectors. In these reports, the individual faculty have been ranked by productivity scores, so that key faculty in departments can be identified. The data can also be used to rank university departments against the same departments at other universities, or in comparison to other departments within Rutgers. Gaunt thanked Wolff for her presentation, and encouraged Cabinet to reach out to Wolff if they have reports they would like run. Depending on the sophistication, Academic Analytics may have to run them. Gaunt will share again the access code to use the system.

Reporting Structures and Service Models Survey Results – Cohn

Cohn reviewed a draft report of the results of a recently conducted survey among the member libraries of the Association of Academic Health Sciences Libraries (AAHSL). Detailed results, including all findings, graphs and comments are included in the report. Responses were received from 74 library directors. The purpose of the survey was to identify the current organizational structures of academic health sciences libraries and how a centralized and/or decentralized service model works from the librarian’s perspective. Cohn noted that the organizational reporting of academic health sciences libraries has changed significantly during the past ten years with the majority of changes reflecting a reporting change to the general academic library side. The survey results revealed that the Rutgers health sciences libraries have a higher level of integration into central services in contrast to other academic health sciences libraries. Data was given for a variety of services/operations. This report reflects the perspective of the library directors which is the internal view. There will be another survey of RBHS library users to take place from mid-October to mid-November that will reflect the user perception of services. The timing is good, as users will have had the opportunity to familiarize themselves with the changes from integration and provide appropriate feedback. The results of both surveys should be used to determine if any changes or tweaks are necessary.

Budget Update – Gaunt/Fredenburg/Abbey Baker

Gaunt reported that we have received our budget reduction document from the university; some questions remain, but we can use the knowledge we have now to strategize. We can use the March 14, 2014 budget reduction scenarios as a starting point, as we are close to our scenario two. Baker noted that we need to confirm the RBHS budget allocation, which we have not yet received. Cabinet determined that we need to be strategic in our decision making and that across-the-board cuts should not be made. We will assess funds needed for priority areas in our strategic plan. We will try to keep our cuts to collections at the level we have previously determined, as collections are a priority and the selectors are already working on their cancellations. Any additional cuts needed will come from other areas. Gaunt asked everyone to review their previous decisions for scenario two and to let Baker know by next Tuesday if you would prefer to make changes in that strategy or keep to it. She also asked everyone to make strategic suggestions for potential cuts whether or not they affected your own area. They don’t need to be unit specific. Gaunt, Fredenburg, and Baker will do the first vetting of suggestions. For now, any vacant positions not already posted are frozen. We will determine recruitment after the budget cuts are agreed on. If there are critical positions, they can be discussed separately. Baker is available for any consultation related to budget planning, and will assist in any way possible. The next Cabinet meeting will be devoted to budget planning unless there are agenda items that need to be discussed due to timing. We will work on talking points related to our budget cuts when we have made final decisions to be shared with academic administrators and faculty. Directors can inform their Chancellors on the changes and impact. Talking points need to be ready by October 8.


Boyle: The University and the Libraries are involved in working on a gift collection from a noted underwater cinematographer that includes videos, photographs, and films. The rights issues are complex and Pilch is working with the Office of General Counsel to work through the issues to determine appropriate use.

Just: At the last USC meeting, the formation of a task force to investigate the public services impact of our HathiTrust membership was approved. Please let Just know if you have faculty you think should be part of this discussion.

Cohn: A representative from Elsevier (Holly Falk-Krzesinski) is visiting Rutgers on October 2 and is eager to meet with our library representatives to talk about Open Access and any other topics of interest. She is presenting a workshop to the research development professionals on Team Science. Rutgers Libraries is a priority for her. We are also invited to participate in the Team Science Workshop which Holly will be conducting the same day.

Website Feedback  |  Privacy Policy
© Copyright 1997-, Rutgers University Libraries