Minutes of November 25, 2003 meeting

Rose Barbalace(recorder), Zohreh Bonianian, Susan Brower, Barry Lipinski, Ramon Negron, Fred Onorato, Ana Ramirez-Luhrs, Michele Tokar
Kristi Conover, Asuncion De Chavez, Ericka Moore, Brian Stubbs


Recent Incident Reports

Rose has noticed a sharp decline in the number of theft reports in November compared to both September and October. The group will continue to look into educating patrons to not leave personal items unattended while within the library.

Security Inventory

Rose shared with the group results from the recent unit Security Inventory. Rose asked each unit whether or not they had, flashlights, a first aid kit, battery-operated radio, knew which phone line worked during a power outage.

The results indicated that all but 2 units had flashlights, 4 units need first aid kits, everyone is in need of a battery operated radio and half of the respondents were unsure of which phone lines worked during a power outage.

Rose asked that supervisors at each unit see if their staff wanted to donate an unused battery operated radio from home. Jeff at Alex had a spare radio at home that is he is willing to donate. Rose will price and order the needed supplies before the end of the year.

Rose reviewed with the group what an UPS (uninterrupted power supply) source is and what phones will work and won’t work during a power outage. If your phone is equipped with voice mail, it will not work. Older phones, campus phones and phones attached to a fax line will work. To know if your fax line phone will work, unplug the fax machine and pick up the receiver, if you still hear a dial tone, then your phone will work. If your fax is not equipped with a phone or speakerphone, unplug the fax and plug in a regular phone (without voice mail).

Update on current projects

Rose announced that after the December 2003 BSMFG meeting, Zohreh Bonianian would take over Coordinating the group. Rose will continue to work with Zohreh and the group to complete several ongoing projects. Ramon and Rose will continue to work on the Bag Search and Exit gate alarm tutorial and Rose will work with Zohreh on ordering necessary supplies from the results of the Security Inventory.

Information Sharing

- Nothing new reported
- Alexander Library recently had floor tiles replaced in the North wing stairwells leading to the stacks. A fire extinguisher was removed from the basement level and “set off” in a basement level stairwell, unsure of exactly what time this occurred.
- Annex recently had a roof water leak repaired. Temperature regulation in office and stacks is getting better. HVAC part has been ordered and will be replaced.
- Nothing new reported
- Since the last BSMFG meeting the lighting in the back parking lot of Douglass library have been repaired.
- Douglass library closed the previous Sunday at 4pm due to excess fumes from D21 construction to the upper level floors. Library reopened on Monday at 3pm, one full time staff and one student staff member from Alexander Library assisted staffing the Douglass library during evening hours
- Kilmer library is continuing to have temperature problems where certain air ducts in parts of the building are not working.
- Kilmer Library’s front doors are continuing to malfunction, Barry and his staff are working with their problems the best they can.
- LSM fire alarm system has recently undergone maintenance and all the sensors are now properly working.
- Some vents at the Math Library are blowing excessive cold air. Not too many complaints from the patrons, Fred will alert building admin if the problem gets worse.
- Ceiling tiles at the Physics Library were finally repaired after a long waiting period

Next Meeting - Tuesday, December 16th, 2003 at 3:00PM
Library of Science and Medicine, Special Collections Room

URL: http://www.libraries.rutgers.edu/rul/staff/groups/sec_fac_group/minutes/sec_fac_group_03_11_25.shtml
Website Feedback  |  Privacy Policy
© Copyright 1997-, Rutgers University Libraries