Minutes of SACOTAS September 7, 1995 Meeting

Peter Graham, Lida Sak, Gracemary Smulewitz (for Evelyn Greenberg), Ka-Neng Au, Judy Jeng, Al King, Judy Gardner, Bob Warwick, Rhonda Marker (recorder), Tessa Evans, Jean Crescenzi, Jeris Cassel, Ann Montanaro.

AUL/TNIS Reports:

P. Graham reported that there has been one meeting of the AULs with F. Polach since the last SACOTAS meeting, but that all substantive reports will be addressed in items on the agenda.

TAS Departmental Reports:

Acquisitions (T. Evans)

Cataloging (P. Graham)

Systems & Database Management (A. Montanaro)

Other Items

Information Resources:

New OPAC (P. Graham)

The process of getting a new library system will proceed in three phases: specification (write RFP; we are in that phase now), evaluation and selection, and implementation. Subcommittees to write the specifications are being formed now. Vendor demo's must be completed before an RFP is issued, in order to comply with RU Purchasing requirements. Therefore, we plan to issue a RFI (Request for Information) inviting vendors to Rutgers for a demo, before the RFP is issued, i.e., within the next month.

Electronic Journals Task Force Report:

The report was discussed. Specific issues that came before the group were the definition of an electronic journal; the distinctions between modes of [public] access (networked & non-networked); what is involved in maintaining an e-journal; the role of the Implementation Group, a temporary, enabling working group; ordering procedures, including the possibility of system-wide funds for e-journal orders; and archiving e-journals, including storage & search engine issues, the role of the Implementation Group, the role of research libraries with regard to archiving their resources, possible archiving agreements in consortia with other institutions, and costs.

P. Graham will discuss the report with the other AULs, and determine how best to bring these issues to Cabinet.

We are not yet cataloging e-journals.

ASAWG (Automated Serials & Acquisitions Work Group):

Their annual report was distributed. It will be discussed at the next meeting.

INFO Advisory Committee (J. Cassel):


G. Smulewitz: Alex T.S. is gaining experience & expertise with
processing international government documents.

A. King: The SC/UA ELF computer is installed & working. The Special
Collections web page will be reviewed by LIAC. At the recent SAA
conference, there was an interesting report on SGML DTV archival
finding aids.

R. Marker: Elizabeth Leister has been hired by LSM to complete LSM
(and Chem, Physics, Math) Ref recon this semester.

J. Cassel: The Electronic Resources Workshops schedule is on INFO.
All are welcome to sign up.

K-N Au: Ray Schwartz received an award from ASIS for his SIG-CR
(Classification Research) Web page.

L. Sak: Serials Cataloging has completed the cataloging of full-text
serials titles on CD-ROM for Douglass & Kilmer.

Next meeting: October 15, 1:30 p.m., TSB Conference Room.

URL: http://www.libraries.rutgers.edu/rul/staff/groups/tsc/minutes/tsc_95_97.shtml
Website Feedback  |  Privacy Policy
© Copyright 1997-, Rutgers University Libraries