Minutes of September 27, 2012 Meeting

Grace Agnew, Katie Anderson (co-chair), Stephanie Bartz (recorder), Natalie Borisovets, Joseph Deodato, Mary Fetzer, Bonnie Fong, Judy Gardner, Tom Glynn, Melissa Just, Cathy Pecoraro, Francoise Puniello, Tibor Purger, Jane Sloan, Li Sun, Roberta Tipton (co-chair)
John Maxymuk, Fernanda Perrone

1. Approval of the Agenda

The agenda was approved as distributed.

2. Guide on the Side/Widgets

a) Integrated Information Systems has looked at the Guide on the Side (GotS) platform and determined that it could be easily supported but that there hasn't been much development since it was released. There's no way to tell how the underlying code base might develop and whether it might interfere with other server installations.

The recommendation is to delay implementation in order to see how GotS develops and to look for an alternative that relies on the same code platform as the existing CMS. Continued GotS testing can be done using the demo site without any installation at Rutgers. The New Brunswick Information Services Group is already planning to look further at GotS and those that are interested will be encouraged to do testing.

USC agreed with the recommendation and further agreed that this should be taken as an opportunity to think more about how we provide point-of-need help and how we design tutorials. Those involved in tutorial creation will work on the instruction and conceptual aspects of the question and the Web Board will look at the technologies.

Draft goal number 2 will be rewritten to reflect these decisions and the issue will be revisited in January.

b) Both EBSCO and ProQuest have the capacity to embed a library specific widget in their databases. ProQuest still needs to be investigated further, but a RefChatter widget could be designed and set to appear within the EBSCO interface whenever the Libraries' chat service is available. USC endorsed the suggestion; Deodato and Purger will move ahead with implementation. Deodato will also investigate the ProQuest options, but implementation there will wait until the result of implementation within the EBSCO databases is known.

c) An additional topic was raised because of the discussion relating to the chat widget. RefChatter transactions seem to be down since the site redesign. Minor changes to the design could be done fairly quickly once they're decided. Natalie will report comparative statistics for chat at the October USC meeting.

3. Report of the Core Reference Responsibilities Task Force

Although short, the Task Force report reflects a substantial amount of work, particularly time spent determining that no other library is doing anything similar. The core of the report involved defining "core reference services" (i.e., face-to-face, chat, email, individual consulting) and "public services librarian." Statistics gathered for each service were considered along with other factors such as hours of service and method of data collection. A series of recommendations were then developed.

There was an extended discussion concerning the level of participation that should be mandated for the various services. The general consensus was that the report should be framed in terms of meeting user needs and should lead to the development of an institutionalized structure that can be administered and enforced. Once a policy is finalized it will need to go to Cabinet for approval.

Campus representatives will discuss the report with colleagues and provide feedback to be included in changes to the report. Members of the Task Force will amend the report and submit it to USC for further review. Draft Goal number 3 will be reworked to reflect the general intent to institutionalize reference as a core service.

4. USC Membership

The Rules of Procedure committee asked that USC revisit the need for IJS and Web Board representatives on the Council.

5. Goals

Draft goals were reviewed; Anderson and Tipton will redraft them to reflect the discussion.

Goal 1 - A LibGuide working group was determined to be unnecessary. Deodato is the LibGuide administrator and will work on assessment in time for the mid-year and annual reports. Editorial guidelines will be developed by June 30. Training will be considered for the future.

Goal 2 - See item 2.a above.

Goal 3 - See item 3 above.

Goal 4 - A working group will be formed to develop documentation and guidelines for use of the READ scale at Rutgers. To be discussed further at the October USC meeting.

Goal 5 - The Instructional Community of Practice will be reconvened and revitalized with a specific charge related to instruction and the ILIAC report.

Goal 6 - USC will review and suggest updates to the mobile site as needed. The Web Board is expected to submit a new My Account feature for review soon.

Goal 7 - USC will review and make suggestions related to the website redesign. A new design is expected to be up in January.

Goal 8 - USC will participate in the review and evaluation of a new web scale discovery layer and an open source catalog alternative. A new group chaired by Deodato will be formed to work on assessment and implementation, with a tentative roll-out in September 2013.

Goal 9 - Support for the incorporation of streaming media and analytics into library services is ongoing.

6. AUL/IIS Director Reports

Puniello: Will report at October USC meeting.


Agnew: There is an OCLC Worldshare demo scheduled for tomorrow (Friday, Sept. 28th) at 10:00 a.m. in the Pane Room. USC members are encouraged to attend.

7. Announcements

Anderson: Reminder to new USC members that minutes should be done within 2 weeks and will then be reviewed by email. Once everyone has had a chance to send changes, a poll will be set up for final approval of the minutes.


Deodato: DIG is hosting two Searchlight workshops. The first is scheduled for this afternoon at 2:00 p.m. in the Pane Room.

8. Agenda for next meeting

Projected items include:

URL: http://www.libraries.rutgers.edu/rul/staff/groups/usr/minutes/usrmin_12_09_27.shtml
Website Feedback  |  Privacy Policy
© Copyright 1997-, Rutgers University Libraries