Minutes for September 5, 2014 Meeting

Stephanie Bartz, Leslin Charles, Rebecca Gardner, Melissa Gasporotto, Francesca Giannetti, Kayo Denda, Karen Hartman, Manuel Jusino, Melissa Just, Mei Ling Lo, Megan Lotts, Julie Moscinski, Jackie Mardikian, Kevin Mulcahy, Laura Mullen, Jill Nathanson, Laura Palumbo, Jon Sauceda (recorder), Jane Sloan, Lily Todorinova, Ryan Womack, Connie Wu


Chair's Report (Hartman)

NBLF meetings have been scheduled for the first Friday of each month in the Pane Room for the fall and the LSM Conference Room for the spring.

AUL Report (Just)

There is no update on the business librarian search. We are waiting for budget numbers to determine whether the search should go forward.

We are revisiting food and drink policy for each location to decide on individual policies. New Brunswick will loosen restrictions; Camden and Newark will observe and make decisions later. Food and drink will be allowed in New Brunswick locations except where there are special restrictions, e.g., computer labs, classrooms, etc. Users should avoid noisy, smelly, or messy foods as determined by other user complaints.

A section has been added to the policy for RU affiliate periods in the library; users must present RUID cards upon request. The libraries will close at 11PM for nonaffiliates in response to problems and complaints from users; Rutgers's peers have similar policies. Staff will enforce policies.
A sign will indicate that users may be asked for IDs. An announcement will ask nonaffiliates to leave. Staff walkthroughs will be done based on user complaints. Public computers will automatically log off at 11PM. Just will write a summary of the new policy that can be circulated to the information assistants. Date of the policy implementation is forthcoming.

A lactation room has been added in Alex; other main libraries will be asked to consider setting aside rooms for lactation. The key in Alex is checked out at circulation desk. We may decide to provide room reservations if demand is high enough.

Standardized room fee waiver policy- Events fees can be waived by librarians but only once a semester. If the librarian is sponsoring the event then there are no fees for primary room rental. Rental fees pay for equipment upgrades in all spaces.

Update on NBL Reorganization (10-15 min, Hartman, Just)

RISNB Reorganization group has been meeting regularly about once a week on Fridays. Today is the deadline for the job inventory survey. The survey is intended to capture the work currently done by faculty and staff as well as aspirational activities. We plan to group activities into a single list. Another team is looking at other organizational structures. The community conversations group discussed aspirations and concerns with faculty and staff. Town Halls will be held 9/16 and 9/18 to discuss the data gathered. The working group will be meeting today and finalize the process of moving from data to developing a structure and function for the organization. The end-of-the year is still the target date.

There is still no word on the University Librarian search.

Update on Global Engagement and Internationalization Team (Denda)

Team members: Kayo Denda (Team Leader), Melissa Gasparotto, Marty Kesselman, Triveni Kuchi, Jim Niessen,Tao Yang

Denda reported on the team's activities, listed below.

Hosted 2 global engagement and internationalization conversations with Rutgers community: 15 staff/faculty from GAIA Centers and academic units participated. June 20, 24 2014.

Will collaborate with GAIA Centers to host the GAIA Centers Lunch Series (Graduate student research presentations, in any discipline, based in a country abroad) in Pane Room on Sept 22, Oct 20, Nov 17 at noon with lunch.

Received GAIA Global Health grant ($1,000) for an exhibition with artist from the Returned Peace Corps Volunteers of New Jersey (March- April 2015). Intended to introduce international students to the Returned Peace Corps Volunteers.

Participated in the Resources Fair of the "New International Student Orientation Program," August 25-30, 2014 (mandatory to all international students in NB/PISC. RBHS -Newark had a different orientation program) http://issuu.com/rutgerscifss/docs/international_student_orientation_p

Rutgers (with NIU) will host 2 librarians from Myanmar (October 1-31, 2014) The tour will encompasses public services, collections/databases, library technology, RUcore, etc.

Continues to participate in Outbound Student Orientation (twice a year), last spring with RAs. The Study Abroad Reseach Guide will be updated by 2 RAs: Emma Riccardi and Charlotte Kirkby.

Created an inventory of team's international engagement.

Additional Activities by NB Librarians-

Library Orientation (2 sessions each at LSM and ALEX. Connie, Jackie and Kevin led sessions on August 27 and 29, 2014).

The group has been tasked with helping students understand the culture of other places. Much interest in the libraries, but only 200 out of the 1400 came to the library activities. Flyer created discussing history of international students at Rutgers with positive feedback.

Kesselman is a finalist in an Elsevier grant for "library in a flash" which places library in a flash drive to be used in places without access to the internet.

State of the Libraries-NBLF Representation (Just)

Just encourages NBLF to highlight activities with a poster session at State of the Libraries.

Travel Funds-Future procedures, plan for discussion (Hartman)


Hartman announced that we will be having a discussion on this at the next meeting. Please visit the link to examine the RUL travel policy. Just noted that allocations used to be based on a formula, but no longer. How we distribute this money is completely up to us. Wu noted our allotment has been flat for years in spite of inflation.


Lotts: Scarlet Knight Days started yesterday with over 300 students; we empowered our student workers as ambassadors for the library. Please come to our activities or volunteer. We've purchased a popcorn machine for use by librarians for programming.

Hartman: At the Art Library there is an exhibit by Melissa Gasporotto.

Womack: The Data Workshops are at capacity. There will be another announcement for future workshops.

Mullen: The university's Open Access policy goes into effect September 1, 2015. SOAR will be ready to go. The Open Access focus this year is on early career scientists. There will be implementation discussions around ORCID.

Wu: Later this month there will be a performance of Chinese Opera sponsored by the Confucius Institute to celebrate 10 years at Rutgers.


Tom Glynn, NBISG chair, was unable to attend the meeting, but he submitted a brief chair's report via email:

Francesca, Lily and I will be meeting on September 22 to discuss RIOTing. We agreed to try this at the NBISG meeting in June. For more information, please see: http://blogs.lib.utexas.edu/utlis/category/how-to-riot/

Insight, the new classroom management software that's replacing NetOps, should be installed in all of our instructional spaces. Please let me know if you have any questions. Stay tuned for news on training.

Leslin is working with the McNair folks and with Rhonda to get McNair posters in RUcore. Hopefully this will be the start of something big, an RU undergrad presence in our repository. Thanks to Leslin.

Considering that NBISG will most likely not outlive this calendar year, I'm not sure we should go through the process of designing annual activities this year. I propose we wrap up two activities from last year. We can discuss this at next month's meeting.

Writing Instruction Programs (Mulcahy, Nathanson)

Insight is easier to use and will replace Netop. There are 100 writing program classes this semester. English 201 online reinforcement activities were substantially improved, making them more interactive so that students will receive more feedback.


Chair's Report, update on budget (Mulcahy)

There is no update on the budget. DTS continues negotiations with vendors for better deals.

Petition (Mulcahy)

The petition has been distributed to library faculty via email. There will also be graphs with supporting data. Library faculty can send out a link to the petition and other information to teaching faculty. Selectors are encouraged to reach out to graduate students who are even more reliant on library materials than some full-time faculty.
It will go to Barchi and Edwards, the technology still needs to be worked out.
Mulcahy will sign it as chair of NBCG, LRC. Librarians are encouraged to sign the petition.

URL: http://www.libraries.rutgers.edu/rul/staff/nbl/nblf/minutes/nblfaculty_minutes_2014_09_05.shtml
Website Feedback  |  Privacy Policy
© Copyright 1997-, Rutgers University Libraries