The Rutgers University Libraries collection of New Jersey trade and manufacturers catalogs reflects an effort "to collect, preserve and make available for research, primary and secondary materials in various formats, documenting all aspects of New Jersey's history, from its founding to the present" (see Sinclair New Jersey Collections Collection Development Policy Statement).
Until early 2000, The Libraries provided access to its New Jersey trade and manufacturers catalogs through RLIN and through QuickSearch, through item level cataloging. This changed in 2000, when The Libraries broadened its selective use of collection-level cataloging. While continuing to maintain traditional item level cataloging for New Jersey trade and manufacturers catalogs published before 1850, the Libraries now provides access to catalogs published after 1850 through QucikSearch, WorldCat/OCLC, and through the Special Collections and University Archives web page via a combination of collection level catalog records and electronic finding-aids.
The items in the finding aid for the New Jersey Trade and Manufacturers' Catalogs Collection is arranged by place of publication. Items published outside New Jersey have been cited according to the location of first-named or most prominently named New Jersey entity--factory, showroom, business office, dealership, etc. Citations for catalogs whose imprint is not New Jersey appear with a brief, explanatory, note. For example, below the citation, "Iron railings, wire fences-entrance gates. New York: Anchor Post Iron Works, [19--]," we have included, "Factory located in Garwood, N.J." Items with no apparent New Jersey affiliation are listed at the end of the finding aid under "miscellaneous."
Due to preservation concerns, items in the collections are stored in groups based on size. The finding aid includes a notation for each item (Size 1 through Size 5); this size must be included on the call slip when requesting catalogs so that the item can be retrieved.
Please see the finding aid to New Jersey Trade and Manufacturers' Catalog Collection.
- Other Trade Catalog Finding Aids: Peter Henderson's Garden Catalogs; Noah Morrison's Catalogs of Books for Sale
Images From the Collection and Related Web Resources
The following image links open a pop-up slideshow.
- Archery supplies (1969) (Cover)
- Bird houses ([193-]) (Cover)
- Children's Chair #43 (Beauty parlor equipment) ([between 1922 and 1941])
- Children's Chair #44 (Beauty parlor equipment) ([between 1922 and 1941])
- Dahlias ([ca. 1927]) (Detail)
- Drilling machinery (1896) (Detail)
- Electroplating machine [(between 1895 and 1904)] (Detail)
- Equipment for breeding chickens (1924) (Cover)
- Etching on linen (ca. 1905) (Cover)
- Garages (1953) (Cover)
- Garden tools (1894) (Cover)
- Garden tools (1910) (Cover)
- Glass cutting equipment (1937) (Cover)
- Homes of moderate cost (1944) (Page)
- Klaxon horn (ca. 1910) (Cover)
- Lawnmowers (1920) (Cover)
- Model trains ([between 1950 and 1959]) (Cover)
- Motor boats (ca. 1934) (Cover)
- Office dictation machine ([between 1949 and 1960]) (Cover)
- Playgrounds ([between 1915 and 1934]) (Cover)
- Power tools (1934) (Cover)
- Railroad engines ([between 1895 and 1914]) (Cover)
- Restaurant equipment (Cover) (1946)
- School furniture ([between 1885 and 1904]) (back cover)
- Sewing machines (1893) (double page spread)
- Shampoo Bib ([between 1922 and 1941])
- Shampoo Cloth ([between 1922 and 1941])
- Steam pumps (ca.1920) (Detail)
- Stock labels (1942) (Cover)
- Taxidermy supplies ([between 1910 and 1920]) (Page)
- Tires (1909) (Cover)
- Tomatoes (1917) (Page)