NOTE: PLEASE EMAIL ME FIRST, I CHECK SEVERAL TIMES DURING THE DAY. FOR URGENT MATTERS, USE MY CELLPHONE AT 732-309-6574
Special focuses on international librarianship and information technologies
Editor, Library Hi Tech News
Editorial Board, Journal of Agriculture and Food Information, Reference Services Review
- Major Liaison, SEBS. Leadership for research support, instruction, collections. Provide in-person and virtual reference and teaching services. Includes departments of Animal Science, Ecology, Evolution and Natural Resources, Entomology, Environmental Sciences, Food Science, Marine and Coastal Studies, Nutritional Sciences, and Cooperative Extension.
- Reference Team Leader, Library of Science and Medicine
- Member, NBL Global Services Team, NBL Research and Content Group (Partnerships and Collaborations Team, Collaboration Spaces for Faculty and Graduate Students
- Rutgers Research Council Grant ($1000), 2015, Technologies for Agriculture Research & Instruction in Developing Countries. Resulted in the development of the course, CASD 304, Information Use and Technology for Cuttington University, that serves as a model for agriculture programs in universities and colleges in developing countries using a flipped classroom model along with active learning, peer reviews, class conferences, self-assessments and rubrics. Work also resulted in a refereed conference paper for INTED 2015
- Engineering Information Foundation, EAKO (Engineering Access to Knowledge Offline) System, 2011-2013 ($35,000, with Connie Wu). Developed a prototype Library in a Box to permit rapid access to remedial, basic technical information and scientific journal information, e-text books, open education and curricular resources for the University of Liberia using XTF software from the California Digital Library. Searchable database of hundreds of full-text documents and learning materials can fit on a low cost 8GB flash drive.
- USAID EHELD (Enhancing Higher Education for Liberian Development), Agriculture and Engineering Library Team Director 2011-2015 under the RTI-led consortium (with Jim Simon, Rodolfo Juliana, Rutgers). Rutgers Grant Component was $3,500,000 (5% author). Developed libraries and digital resources to support curriculums at both institutions and provided support in curriculum development with a focus on information access, relevant technical and supportive materials for faculty, teachers, instructors, staff and students, to rebuild and strengthen the university libraries relative to engineering at University of Liberia (UL) and agriculture at Cuttington University (CU). 2 students being trained as professional librarians at the University of Ghana due to my effort and will become the first librarians in the country since 1983. Helped with advocacy and outreach effort for the We Care Public Library in Monrovia, Liberia, only public library in the country.
- International Federation of Library Associations (IFLA) Project Award, “How do you Say Reference Worldwide” 2008-2010 ($1000).
- Kesselman, Martin and Forbes, Christine, Flipping Out: Students And Teacher Learn Together Via Self-Learning, Self-Assessments, Rubrics, & Peer Review In A Novel Course On Agriculture Information & Technology, Cuttington University, Liberia, IATED (International Association for Technology and Education for Development), Annual Conference, Madrid, March 2015. Paper (refereed) published in Proceedings, (80% effort).
- Community Knowledge Centers for Liberia: Meeting Africa’s Millennium Goals through a Unique Collaboration of Communities, Universities, Libraries, and Schools for Liberia’s Economic & Social Development,” (with others, 80% effort), IFLA Annual Conference, Helsinki, August 2012 (paper refereed, online)
- “Linking Information to Real-Life Problems: An Interdisciplinary Collaboration of Librarians, Departments, and Food Businesses,” Journal of Agricultural & Food Information 10 (4): 300-318, 2009 (with Adria Sherman 50% effort).
- “Creating opportunities: Embedded librarians.” Journal of Library Administration, 49 (4): 383-400. 2009 (with Sarah Watstein, 50% effort).
- “Community engagement and embedded librarianship,” Earth University, Costa Rica, February, 2015. Presentation to a group including academic and public librarians, library educators, and LIS students. Sponsored by the U.S. embassy in Costa Rica
- Conference reports in Library Hi Tech News: Educause, NY International Maker Faire, Consumer Electronics Show 2015, NFAIS, Customer Engagement Conference. Column, Current Cite-ings from the Popular and Trade Computing Literature.
- Embedded librarianship and roles in transition, webinar for IICA/IAALD, Costa Rica, 2014
- Grants Preconference Workshop, AgNIC Annual Conference, 2014
- Martin Kesselman, T. Michael Weah. An Outspoken Agriculture Librarian’s (mis-) Adventures in Liberia: A Tale of Poverty, Policies, Priorities, and (lack of) Public Libraries, IAALD World Congress, July 2013, Cornell University, NY.
- “Impact of Mobile Resources and Services in Rural African Communities: Agriculture, Gender, Health, and Education,” (with Laura Palumbo, 30% effort), IFLA, August 2012.
- “Digital Divides and Learning Divides: Challenges and Opportunities in Africa.” Symposium organized by Martin Kesselman and keynote speaker. Rutgers University, March 2012.
- “New Reference Models,” Crimea Conference, Ukraine, June 2011 (best speaker award).
- Consultancy, Cadbury Food Science Group, Parsippany, NJ (2010).
- Keynote Speaker, 10th Anniversary SIDALC/IICA Conference, Costa Rica, “Collaborations of Librarians and Scientists to Support Agriculture Research,” September 2009.
- Keynote Speaker, “Embedded Librarians,” ACRL Delaware Valley Meeting, 2009
- US Agriculture Information Network (USAIN), Co-Chair, International Interest Group
- AgNIC, RUL Representative for last 10 years, Chair, Past Chair
- IFLA, Chair, Reference and Information Services Section
- IFLA, Member, Science and Technology Section, Co-Program Chair 2014, STEM to STEAM
- Free consultancy on strategic directions for the International Food Information Service (UK Charity), Reading, UK (2014)
- Working with SEBS and the Piscataway Public Library on agriculture programming for the Library’s Makerspace
- Working with Nicoya Public Library in Costa Rica to develop the first public library makerspace in Latin America and development of mobile services for farmers with IICA.