Oxford Music Online contains the full text of several music reference works, most importantly Grove Music Online, The Oxford Companion to Music, and The Oxford Dictionary of Music. It also provides contextual to links to images, sound, and other related web sites including:
- sites that offer digital recordings (subject to RU Libraries subscription)
- specialized online collections of instrument recordings
- composer sites
- online archives of recordings of world instruments
- specialized bibliographical resources
- sites run by professional societies and organizations
- sheet music publishers
- record companies
- symphony orchestra sites
The majority of the content in Oxford Music Online comes from Grove Music Online, which contains the full text of The New Grove Dictionary of Music and Musicians (second edition, 29 volumes), The New Grove Dictionary of Opera (4 volumes), and The New Grove Dictionary of Jazz (second edition; 3 volumes). It provides a variety of search and browse options as well as special features.
The database includes more than 67,000 articles on people and places; instruments and techniques; and genres and styles, including non-western and folk music. Periods covered range from ancient times to the present. Articles cover such topics as:
- music scholars
- people notable for their influence on or contribution to the world of music
- publishers, instrument makers, and others in the business of music
- musical genres and forms
- musical instruments (with 3-D images)
- organizations and institutions
- musicology, theory, and criticism
Available from the link in the top right-hand corner of the screen.External sites linked from within Oxford Music Online may require additional plug-ins.
For help using these indexes see: How do I find an article on my topic?
Ancient times to the present.
Ongoing for the New Grove Dictionary of Music & Musicians (2nd edition) entries.
Articles are written by scholars with expertise in the area of the subject matter, and include bibliographies pointing to important works of scholarship on the topic. Articles are selectively cross-indexed to lead to further significant discussion of the topic.
Type of coverage
Oxford Music Online is broad in scope, and attempts to cover the world of music internationally throughout the ages, incorporating information about all genres of music.
Print counterpart or
The New Grove Dictionary of Music & Musicians (2nd edition);
The New Grove Dictionary of Jazz (2nd edition);
The New Grove Dictionary of Opera;
The Oxford Dictionary of Music; and
The Oxford Companion to Music.
Vendor/electronic presentation provider